fb

Intro

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Seth O.
    @typewriter78

Hello! I’m Typewriter 78, or Seth if you prefer!

I’ve been writing from an early age, my skill growing with time, while having few completed projects to show for it. My favorite book–the only one I re-read consistently–is the Holy Bible, a library of multiple genres and insights. Other favorites (in line of fiction) include the Wormling series by Chris Fabry and the Sherlock Holmes stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

I write in the usual genres of fiction: fantasy, contemporary, thriller, fairy tale, superhero, etc. My favorite genres include fantasy, superhero, and detective fiction. I’d also like to experiment with other, less used, genres, including atompunk, mecha, and Wuxia.

I look forward to meeting with you on this forum. Thanks for reading!

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

HI! *bowls you over with a hug* I’m Cathy, short for Chatty Cathy!
    I started writing when I was nine but I really started writing when I was thirteen. What are some of your WIPs? What’s your favorite book in the Bible, if you have one? I’d never be able to decide. I’m Catholic btw! I’ve never heard of the Wormling series, what’s it about?
    My favorite genres are high fantasy, thriller (esp psychological or supernatural), fairy tale, mystery etc. Detective fiction is awesome! My brothers like mecha too, I’m a bit into cyberpunk but only if I can find a good one. Dystopian novels are cool, but only when there’s actually a point to them and not simply violent for the sake of death and despair!!!
    Oh, my favorite forum on StoryEmbers is the “fantasy writer’s forum” there’s several RPs to develop your characters if you want. Slots are open in the; Fantasy Character Castle Chronicles, Fantasy Character Castle Chronicles 2, Character Castle 2.0, and Villain’s Character Castle. The thriller forum is pretty much dead but you can revive it by adding a section or tagging someone. Themes forum is beginning to revive and I’m having fun there! Characters forum has some interesting stuff like a character would-you-rather game and how descriptions relate to personality.

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@typewriter78

Hello! I’m Gracie, teenage writer girl who loves cats, art, and anything story. My favorite books are Lord of the Rings (J.R.R. Tolkien), Wingfeather Saga (Andrew Peterson), and a ton of older classics (Where the Red Fern Grows, Little Women, Anne of Green Gables, etc.) I don’t usually add the Bible to that list, even though it’s the book I read most often.😄

How is your writing going? Mine is slow, but okay. I’m mostly a fantasy writer, but I dabble in a ton of different stuff.

Anyway, nice to meet you! I love your name, by the way.

Not all those who wander are lost.

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@typewriter78

Hi there, Seth!  I’m Lily.  Welcome to the SE Forum.  I also love the fantasy/fairytale genre (and I’m hoping to explore dystopian someday!)  Do you have a favorite book of the Bible?

Okay, now you’ve piqued my interest!  I’ve never really heard of the atompunk, mecha, or Wuxia genre (though I’ve heard of steampunk).  What are they exactly?

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

Seth O.
    @typewriter78

Boy, I’m late! Apologies! I feel like that white rabbit.

*Begins replying to mail*

==================================================================

@this-is-not-an-alien

Hello! *Get up and dust myself off* Nice to meet you, Cathy.

The Wormling series is an allegory about this young man who is prophesied to rescue a King’s Son in another world. Throughout the story he’s pursued by the Dragon and his demonic hordes.  It’s more complicated than what I just described. I just told you the gist of the first book. The whole series is five books long, but each book is appropriately short. I really enjoyed it. I think you might also.

Reading it helped inspire one of my WIPs, a fantasy about spiritual warfare. My other pet WIP is a merging of superhero and detective fiction. I’m trying to do it as a short story series (are there any forums about this?).

Thank you for the recommendations. I’ll be sure to check them out.

===================================================================

@arindown

Hello Gracie! Nice to meet you too! Glad you like my name!

What you said about your writing basically describes how mine is going. I’m eager to start a plot to go with my characters. But to do that I need a plan to see where I’m going, and to have that I need to further develop my characters, so for now I’m working on crafting backstories, voices, and motives right now. I thought I knew my characters so well until I tried to give one an arc. *Strokes goatee* It feels easier to come up with the arc first and then the character; although that might hamper the authenticity of the character’s choices…

I’m curious. What other stuff do you dabble in?

@imwritehere1920

Hey Lily! Nice to meet you!

Mecha is a genre in Japanese animation, known for its giant robot suits. I think it could do well in novel form. Wuxia is Chinese fantasy, especially with martial arts. Genres that end with “punk” explore the question of what the world would be if the future happened earlier. Steampunk is a futuristic Victorian period. Atompunk refers to an atomic-powered future set between the 1940’s and 60’s. It’s basically retro sci-fi.

I myself just learned these about a month ago.

@this-is-not-an-alien
    & @imwritehere1920:

It’s a rough choice when there so much in each book, but I think my favorite is Proverbs for all its small but helpful sayings.

MelancholicWriter
    @melancholicwriter

@typewriter78

Hi and welcome! It’s good to meet you! sorry to pop in so late I’ve been gone and working hehe…

I’m a 15 yr old writer from Canada who loves Tolkien books and many many many others. I started seriously writing around 12-13 and mainly write fantasy and romance (I say mainly in a ‘i’ve never finished a book yet way’)…

"Courage is found in unlikely places." JRR Tolkien

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@typewriter78

Glad to see you again!

So those genres sound cool *starts jotting down some new ideas*  Thanks for explaining that!

Hey, if you don’t mind me asking, what’s the synopsis of your current/favorite WIP?

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Boy, I’m late! Apologies! I feel like that white rabbit.

Lol then there’s only one thing to do 😈; OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!! LOL!

Hello! *Get up and dust myself off* Nice to meet you, Cathy. The Wormling series is an allegory about this young man who is prophesied to rescue a King’s Son in another world. Throughout the story he’s pursued by the Dragon and his demonic hordes.  It’s more complicated than what I just described. I just told you the gist of the first book. The whole series is five books long, but each book is appropriately short. I really enjoyed it. I think you might also. Reading it helped inspire one of my WIPs, a fantasy about spiritual warfare. My other pet WIP is a merging of superhero and detective fiction. I’m trying to do it as a short story series (are there any forums about this?). Thank you for the recommendations. I’ll be sure to check them out.

Lol hi! *sheepish grin*
    The Wormling sounds really interesting and deep! *putting on my inexhaustible list of things I plan to read but probably never will XD. Unless it’s a free ebook/pdf?*
    Ooh I’ve looked around but I couldn’t find a detective fiction topic or a superhero one for that. Which is really sad cos I would be down to a detective fiction role play/discussion post, and with superheroes (if I weren’t like already on twenty different posts while studying for my learner’s permit driving and working on my WIP lol…)

It’s a rough choice when there so much in each book, but I think my favorite is Proverbs for all its small but helpful sayings.

oooh it really is so hard to choose idk that I ever really will! Although right now, Job, Isaiah and Jeremiah especially but man you really can’t decide on one (or twenty lol)

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Seth O.
    @typewriter78

@melancholicwriter
    Hello! Nice to meet you!

=====================≈==========

@imwritehere1920

You’re very welcome!

I’m working on my mystery series first. The synopsis is still a work in progress. I have a protagonist and a world dressed up with nowhere to go. I’m still thinking of a plot. I have a theme though.

It’s the same with my other WIP. It changes plots with each new element of worldbuilding. I like to have a theme before writing, so I’m still waiting on that. The synopsis follows the hero’s journey.

I’m trying to have both WIPs running on the Dean Koontz Story Structure.

================================

@this-is-not-an-alien

Okay. Do you have any posts on writing short stories?

*Ducks axe*<!–/data/user/0/com.samsung.android.app.notes/files/clipdata/clipdata_bodytext_210702_134202_152.sdocx–>

Brian Stansell
    @obrian-of-the-surface-world

@typewriter78
    Hey Seth,

I saw your post and am intrigued:

I’m trying to have both WIPs running on the Dean Koontz Story Structure.

I’m a BIG Dean Koontz fan!  Can you tell me more about the “Dean Koontz Story Structure model?  I have not heard of that.  Can you send me a link or explain it briefly.
    Dean has some of the most amazing prose I have ever read.  He is a genius with metaphor and imagery.
    What is your favorite of his works?

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Brian Stansell. Reason: forgot the Tag

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
    I was born in war.
    Fighting from my first breath.

Seth O.
    @typewriter78

@obrian-of-the-surface-world

I haven’t read any of Dean Koontz works. I learned about the structure in an article on Jerry B. Jenkins’ blog. He says he uses it often.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Okay. Do you have any posts on writing short stories?

@typewriter78

Ok! On StoryEmbers there are two forums for short stories; in Plotting there’s an “Outline for short story” thread and in Horror Writers there’s the 52 Challenge my sister started. As far as actually links and blogs to short story material I personally just “shortstory” my novel ideas to crunch what really important aspects there are and idk anything else about writing short stories XD.

Seth O.
    @typewriter78

Alright then. Thank you! 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest