Intermediate Level?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Intermediate Level?

This topic contains 41 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Eden Anderson 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

Well, that’s what I got on the quiz, so yeah.

*Forum Signature here*

Ariella Newheart
    @ariella-newheart

Last time I checked, I was also at the Intermediate level. 😀

Fantasy writer, obsessive editor, illustrator, citizen of Parimi Alca

*disappears into the shadows*

Evelyn
    @evelyn

Saaame. 🙃

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

Me, too! That’s one rank up from what I was when I joined SE, so I’m happy…xD

@evelyn Your intermediate, too? I wouldn’t have guessed that…you seem so much more experienced and smart than me. 😉 How’s 51 going, btw?

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@eden-anderson Ha. Ha. Ha.

Nope. 😛

How’s 51 going, btw?

Aww, thanks for asking! It been um. Crazy. xD

*brace yourself for rant*

I reached 23,000 words about two and a half weeks in, but the story was falling apart, due to a lack of the unique creativity I was trying to go for, as well as the plot… it was just too complicated to try to dive into blindly without much preparation. Plus I had yet to discover how it would end. Though that is typical when I start a project, at 23,000 words in, I was stuck and trying to figure it out before continuing. I brainstormed and brainstormed and brainstormed but was truly stuck.

At that point, I was going to throw it out the window, but my oldest brother was visiting for the week and we began talking about it. Suddenly, explaining through the plot, I was thinking Wait, what am I thinking? I love this story! I love these characters! Why give up on them?? My brother thought the plot was great too but agreed with where it was falling short. He even gave some insight on the ending and just blew my mind.

…all that to say, I’m still basically throwing out the manuscript (or at least setting it aside and locking it up ;)) but I have learned what went wrong and where. With such a complicated plot I should have prepared more. Now I’m going to write out some things I need to clarify, make some charts, and brainstorm different ways to tell the story. That was part of it too. I was having trouble telling such a complicated plot through my third person narrative. Now I have ideas up my sleeves of things to try and mix up. Hopefully, I’ll figure it out. 😛

How is your WIP? Also I love your new profile! <33 Now we’re both black and white. xD 😉

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@evelyn We can be intermediate pals together! 🤪

*braces self for rant* Oh my, that does sound crazy! But seriously, you have such a sweet brother! That was so nice of him. 😄

Even though your putting it aside for now, at least you were able to learn a lot from it; that’s awesome! I hope your brainstorming goes well and you come up with all sorts of fantastic ideas. 😍 I’m sure you’ll do good…I believe in you!

Well, depending on which one your talking about…xD Right now, I’m putting Catching Smoke away, and am gonna focus on Raven’s Mask again. I’m really excited about it and can’t wait to dive back into the story! (I’m also nervous, because I see 1000 and 1 ways  I could go wrong.😬)

Aw, thanks! I love your’s too. It’s really cute! ❤️

Did you see that SE is having a short story contest? Think you’ll do it?

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@eden-anderson Yes. I would have to agree. My brothers are amazing. 😋👍

You are picking up Raven’s Mask again? Ooh! Yay! 😁😁I’m so excited for you! And I’m sure it will go fine.

I saw that! But I haven’t decided yet whether not to try or not. Im kinda trying to finish a math book right now and then start on *coughs* Driver Ed. 😳

What about you?

Intermediate pals. Sounds like fun! 😂 What if we shoot for advanced pals though? Maybe even expert? 😜

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@evelyn 😄

Yes, I am actually! Thank you for your enthusiasm…it’s incredibly encouraging! 😍 Aw, thanks!

I think I’m going to try and do it…it will be good for me. xD Ooh! Your gonna start your Driver Ed? How fun! Best of luck, my friend.

*showers you in chocolate and tea and hedgehugs*

Intermediate pals. Sounds like fun! 😂 What if we shoot for advanced pals though? Maybe even expert? 😜

I love your energy and enthusiasm.😆 YESSS! Let’s keep going. We can always get better!!! ADVANCED RANK, HERE WE COME!

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@eden-anderson ALL THE WONDERFUL THINGS

They will be needed on the road. 😉

Yay! Actually, that brings up a question. Do you have any plans on how to advance your writing rank?

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@evelyn 😄

Yay! Actually, that brings up a question. Do you have any plans on how to advance your writing rank?

Not a ton of plans, to be honest, but I have some ideas. 😉 I really want to start getting more serious about it. Currently my plan looks something like this:

1. Create some sort of writing schedule.

2. Write consistently each day.

3. Interact more with other authors.

4. Publish some short stories. (somewhere, I don’t really care where…😉)

5. Finish a novel-length draft. (because, shockingly, I have never actually completed an actual, full novel. I mean I wrote completed stories when I was younger…but they were horrible. 😛)

Have you taken a look at The Writer’s Journey Plan in Story Ember’s Resources? I’m thinking about maybe following that…

So, what about you? What are your plans?

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@eden-anderson Great ideas! And mine will look a lot like yours.

Right now its hard to buckle down and get writing things done since I’m just trying to finish up so many other things, school, beta-reading commitments, and other responsibilities. It’s good for me to sit down and figure it out though. I like the bullet points. xD

1. Finish my current short story and get feedback on it.

2. I’m hoping to then focus all my energy on 51. I haven’t finished a large project in a while and I feel like I need to stop jumping from one thing to the other, as I am apt to do. 😛

3. Get back into the habit of writing at least something every day. I’ve been struggling with this…

4. Try submitting more poetry to places, maybe even short stories. (This Saturday I learn the results from that contest I entered a while back! o.O)

As to you finishing your entire novel’s first draft, I’m sure you can do it! And the feeling once you do… I can’t even put it in words. All of a sudden you’ll want to scream and run around and circles and sit down and edit the whole thing all at once. xD

It’s fun. (:

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@evelyn

Right now its hard to buckle down and get writing things done since I’m just trying to finish up so many other things, school, beta-reading commitments, and other responsibilities.

Same, girl, same.

1. Finish my current short story and get feedback on it.

Ooooh! Might I be of service????! *wink, wink* 😛

Yay! Contests! How fun…hope you win!👍

Aww, shucks! Your such a dear! 😍 Since my family wouldn’t understand why I am freaking out so much, I may just send you a big long e-mail in which I blither and blather and send lots of screaming gifs.

(There, consider yourself warned.😉)

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@eden-anderson

Ooooh! Might I be of service????! *wink, wink*

Haha, I thought you just said you were busy. 😉

Aww, thanks! It’s interesting because this contest, unlike others I have entered… it’s been so long since I entered my story I don’t feel as invested. xD

Hey that’s totally fine! I’ll be awaiting that email. 😀 😀 😀 I remember, when I finished my first novel, I sent about 20 messages to my sister. xD

They were quite comical…. I should find them again.

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@evelyn Yeah-but…well…okay…so…um…uh…if…what *sputters*

Your mean.

😜

Aww, well, I hope you win all the same! That would be awesome. Have you entered a bunch of contests?

Thanks, your a dear! Haha, that’s funny…I bet the e-mails were hilarious! 😆 (Sisters can be weird sometimes.)

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@eden-anderson Sorry to remind you of your duties of life. xD 😉

Have you entered a bunch of contests?

Well, I use to send in all these manuscripts of poems and short stories to this one magazine (poor people) but thank goodness they never published any of it… I was… eight. *shudders* Then, after a break from that phase, I entered a poetry contest last year (actually exactly a year ago) but did not win.

Beyond that… I don’t think so. Have you?

Sisters can be weird! Amen. (Though I must say that out of the four of us in my family, I am among the three crazy ones. xD)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest