Inky RambleBeast: MY NEW BLOG!

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Inky RambleBeast: MY NEW BLOG!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    J. Dekreel
    @dekreel

@catwing  As it turns out, I had to install a plugin before I could add social media buttons.

Now I need help with adding one of these:

OR one of these:

@jenwriter17
      @morreafirebird  @ncstokes  @anyone-else-who-knows-what-they’re-doing

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by J. Dekreel.

ENFP-T. Cartoonist, "half-writer", wolfish.
    Blog

Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

@dekreel

The way I did mine, was install the plugin Jetpack. It’s super helpful and you can manage a bunch of stuff with your blog in one plugin; stats, subscribers, etc. Once that’s installed, you go to Appearance<Widgets. And there, you should see a little box to the left for a Jetpack subscribe box. Just slide that over onto your sidebar area, or wherever you want to place it.

I hope that helps!

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
    www.jennaterese.com

J. Dekreel
    @dekreel

@jenwriter17  Perfect! I’ll try it out. Thank you so much!

Blog

J. Dekreel
    @dekreel

@jenwriter17  I just tried out Jetpack, but apparently it costs money. Do you know of any free alternatives?

Blog

Catwing
    @catwing

@dekreel Here I’ll put some pictures to show what I did. Which should work for you since you are using WordPress. So first you need to go to the My Site section which should have this side bar.

Click Customize (not Themes. That’s something different)
    Next, Select Widgets…

Where you want the Widget to go.

Click Add Widget (at the bottom of the selected widgets), search for what you want (follow button), Click on it (Follow Blog is for Email sign up and Follow Button is that little button for WordPress).

It shall pop up with your other widgets, you can click to expand and edit it (cheesy puns optional :P), and hold to drag it up and down to reorder your widgets. Just make sure you click Publish when you are done. If you mess up something you can just leave and come back. It wouldn’t save the changes. 😉

I think that’s it. Does that help?

When your wings are weak and you feel like you can't fly any farther you're halfway there!

J. Dekreel
    @dekreel

@catwing

Is there a plugin I need to install, or what?

Blog

Catwing
    @catwing

@dekreel I didn’t have to install one. That’s weird that it’s missing. I use the free version, so I don’t know why you wouldn’t have it. I’ll tell you if I can find anything, but you may have to contact support. Or find a pluggin. Sorry.

When your wings are weak and you feel like you can't fly any farther you're halfway there!

Catwing
    @catwing

@dekreel Okay. So basically what I found was that you use WordPress.org and I use WordPress.com (that is confusing.) But according to a quote I’m pulling from someone asking about the widgets.
    “The version of WordPress you’re using on AWS is the open source WordPress software found on WordPress.org. On WordPress.com we use our own version of that software, and many widgets that we have on WordPress.com is not part of the software you’re using.”
    I don’t know why. But that seems to be it.
    So I guess you can find a subscribe button or do an email list and email the posts(Mailchimp a email list thing I’ve heard of has a free plan. You could look into that.)
    And I found this pluggin, it seems that it is for adding an email list, but maybe you’ll need it? I don’t know.
    Or maybe you can find one here.

J. Dekreel
    @dekreel

@catwing  Oh, wow. . . Is there a way to change it to WordPress.com without starting over??

I installed the WPSubscribe plugin. Do you know how to get it to work? When i tried to subscribe to it, it gave me a message something along the lines of “It’s not accepting subscriptions”.

Blog

Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

@dekreel Hmm, that’s odd. It should be free to install (but with paid upgrades optional). When I installed it, I went to Plugins<Add New. Type in ‘jetpack’ in the search, and ‘Jetpack by WordPress.com’ should come up. Is that how you did it? Idk, maybe things are different if you have a wordpress.com site vs. a wordpress.org site???

www.jennaterese.com

J. Dekreel
    @dekreel

@jenwriter17  Yep, I installed it like you did, but in order to finish setting it up it tried to get me to pay a monthly fee.

Ugh, I wish I could change it to a WordPress.com site. . .

Blog

Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

@dekreel Hmm…I guess you could try using Mailchimp. It is a bit more complicated to set up, but it’s free to make an account and use most of the features. You can create an RSS campaign so that it sends out your blog posts at a certain time. If you’d like to try that, feel free to contact me some more about it, and maybe I can walk you through it. 😉

www.jennaterese.com

Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

@dekreel Did you ever figure out what to do about a subscriber widget? Did you check into Mailchimp?

www.jennaterese.com

J. Dekreel
    @dekreel

@jenwriter17  Haven’t tried MailChimp. I’m hoping it works with WordPress.org websites. -_-

Blog

Catwing
    @catwing

@dekreel you could probably look up how to change your site. I changed mine from Blogger to WordPress. You end up copying a file and then uploading it on the new site. I’m sure you can find something if you want to change it still. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest