fb

INFP Writers Unite!

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions INFP Writers Unite!

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    DeepRun
    @deeprun

@naiya-dyani

Oh jeepers… I just remembered to respond.

So, I’m going to throw out something else.  First, Habari asbuhi!  To continue with the multilingual thread.

I was wondering if others ran into this with their writing.  I’m a confirmed INFP.  I even tried to cheat and come out differently. Nope.  INFP.  I find that writing other personalities are wonderful and easy.  Then I get to my main characters and I fall flat. Seriously.  They get downright boring.  They also tend to be INFP or INFJ.  Which by no stretch of the imagination equates boring.

Is it because I craft the main characters too closely to myself?  Should I not write characters so similar?  I’m a just a big chicken poo?  Does anyone else have these issues?

You do not have a soul. You have a body.
    You are a soul. - C.S. Lewis

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@deeprun Nope, you’re not alone. The same thing happens to me. 😛 It’s not quite always, but… way too often. ;P And I do find it’s often when I’m crafting characters similar to me (either with the MBTI system or the enneagram); characters with personalities pretty different from mine tend to be slightly less boring. However… I don’t think it’s necessarily a better idea to try to avoid characters similar to you (assuming it serves the story), you might just have to pay more attention to some of your habits and thought processes, and look into the thought processes often associated with INFPs or INFJs, and work harder at building up your MC’s traits based on that. Because INFP/INFJ characters can work, of course, I think we just tend to not notice our own quirks because… they’re our quirks. They’re not quirky to us, lol. But yeah, it’s definitely something I also struggle with.

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. Worldbuilding enthusiast. Singer. Fan of classic literat

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

Just curious, INFPs after some of the discussions we’ve had, what’s your favourite MBTI for characters? Is there one you keep coming back to? And is it INFP or something completely different?

For me, I keep coming back to TJs, particularly INTJs, ENTJs and ISTJs.

@deeprun
    @r-m-archer @naiya-dyani

Ceud mile failte

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@seekjustice I think I tend to have a good variety? But I haven’t tested all of my characters, so I can’t be sure. Lemme see what I’ve got in my sprawling fantasy epic… (I’ve tested more of those characters than any of my others.)

ENTP

INFJ x4

ENTJ x2

ESTP

ISFJ

ENFJ

ESTP x2

ISTJ

ESTJ x2

ISTP

So apparently INFJs are common (which doesn’t really shock me) and STs are common, which is interesting. I’ll have to look more into what ST habits are, because I didn’t really get very deep into the MBTI system back when that was “my thing,” but I feel like that could give some cool insights into my writing.

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. Worldbuilding enthusiast. Singer. Fan of classic literat

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest