fb

INFP Writers Unite!

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions INFP Writers Unite!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@anne_the_noob14 I’m not sure I actually know what languages I can say greetings in. XD (I’m realizing calling them greetings is more accurate than “hello”s. ;P) It’s just a chanting choral exercise, so I know the words but not necessarily the languages attached.

Sorida – No clue

Que Pasa? – Spanish

Aloha – Hawaiian

Guten tag – German

Bonjour – French

Good day – English ;P

Konichiwa – Japanese?

Shalom – Hebrew

I’m learning French on Duolingo. I’ve also technically started an Irish course on Duolingo (solely because it sounds cool XD), but I put that on indefinite hiatus pretty quickly because it was super difficult to just… dive into. I want to get back to it, but maybe after I’ve focused on French enough I can get away without practicing constantly and can devote more time to the Irish. XD

(You inspired me to go back and see if maybe I was exaggerating the difficulty of Irish, and I simply realized that it’s super difficult because there’s nothing familiar to give it context, lol. Some words in French and Spanish at least sound similar to English or to each other, to get started, but with Irish it’s just “Here’s a completely new language you have to learn from scratch. Have fun.” And one day I’m sure I will have fun with it, but today is not that day. XD)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by R.M. Archer.

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. Worldbuilding enthusiast. Singer. Fan of classic literat

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@r-m-archer *grins* That’s considerably more than I know. Ah! I do know konichiwa! And yes, Japanese.

I’ve started, then pushed to the back burner, the following: Italian, Scottish Gaelic, Esperanto, and… one other. I can’t remember. Oh wait no. It was Klingon. *nods* And yeah… Irish is a cool language but it’s also difficult. (As is Gaelic…)

“Enough! Be quiet! I can’t hear myself think! I can’t hear my teeth chatter!"

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@r-m-archer Oh! I can greet you in Australian! XD “Good eye, might!” (say it strung together and a bit fast)

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@anne_the_noob14 My dad is super knowledgeable about languages, so I got a bit of a head start, lol. But I only really know French and Spanish (and my French is still not enough to hold a meaningful conversation and my Spanish is mostly forgotten due to lack of use, lol).

I also started Italian! I’m not 100% sure why, because at this point it doesn’t really appeal to me, but it’s on my Duolingo account so apparently I was interested in it at some point. Klingon is cool (especially if you’re more consistently into Star Trek than I am, lol), but I’m waiting for the day they add Sindarin. I’ve been wanting to learn Sindarin for years. XD Klingon and High Valerian are super cool, though, if for no other reason than that an official language-learning company decided to teach fictional languages, and that in and of itself is epic.

LOL. I’ve tried that before and I still don’t sound Australian. XD Australian accents have never been my forte. ;P I could probably greet you in British English, though. No promises my accent is really as good as I think it is, but it’s certainly fun. XD

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by R.M. Archer.

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. Worldbuilding enthusiast. Singer. Fan of classic literat

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@r-m-archer Ah, nice! That would help a lot.

I started it because of a friend who was and is learning it, and it’s just such a beautiful language! And I’ve never actually seen Star Trek (I’m a die-hard Star Wars fan tho…). I heard of Klingon from the Foxtrot comics XD Jason Fox is into Star Trek, and he speaks Klingon in one of the comics. I just started it cause I thought it was kinda cool. What’re Sindarin and High Valerian from? I’ve heard of them both. And yes! I want them to add Elvish!!!

*grins* I can’t do any accent very well at all, except for an exaggerated country accent. HOWDY, Y’ALL! HOW’S IT GOIN’ DOWN AT THA RANCH? Y’all got any grits ‘n greens a cookin’ down thar?   XD I like to think that I can do a British accent… but in reality I sound like a country person trying to do a British accent XD

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@anne_the_noob14 Ahhh. I’m only a serious fan of the Voyager series of Star Trek. I enjoy the new movies, but most of the other series aren’t tops on my list. ;P I’d say I’m more on the side of Star Wars, but out of those I really only like the original trilogy, so… *shrugs* I guess space sci-fi as a whole just isn’t usually my cup of tea, lol. High Valerian is from Game of Thrones and Sindarin is Tolkien’s Elvish.

LOLLL. I can do British pretty well (I think), but it’s pretty much the only one, lol. I can do tiny snippets of Scottish or Irish sometimes, but not at all consistently. I think I could probably do a southern accent, but it’s not one I try very often so I’m not sure; it would probably end up sounding over-the-top. XD

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@r-m-archer I actually haven’t seen the original trilogy XD I’ve seen the prequels and The Rise of Skywalker… but not the sequels or the originals. I need to see them st some point XD The only reason it seems like I skipped them is cause I’d been watching the prequels with my uncle, and then all of a sudden TRoS is out, so he gave me a basic summary of the other six and we went and saw TRoS.

Ah. *shakes head* Why did I not remember that lol. Sindarin=Elvish. My brain has been frozen all month XD

*grins* I feel ya.

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

Making sure the tag worked: @wordsmith

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@r-m-archer @anne_the_noob14 @seekjustice *is late to the conversation but dives in anyway* HEEEEEEYYY other language enthusiasts!!!

私は日本語が好きです. Or, in English, I like Japanese. 😀 Currently positively enamored of the Japanese language and culture and learn about it when I have time. . . *glances around and school books* Oh, right, I don’t have that. . .

But for school, I’ve taken five years of Spanish (which means I can barely hold a conversation lol) and am currently on ASL 2. There’s a reason I didn’t greet you guys in ASL, though. . . XD

Languages are really interesting to me–however, there are specific ones I refuse to learn (*cough cough Russian with their darned backwards N’s*). If I get up the courage to face tones, I might attempt Chinese at some point.

I’m currently trying to create my own language for my WIP called Aboreil. I’m pulling ideas (hopefully not too many) from Japanese, although I am NOT creating as much of a beast of a writing system as they have XD. I’m creating my own alphabet, but it’s solely based on syllables and that’s it. A bit of a challenge to learn, but not Mount Everest to climb, so to speak. It’s a lot of fun. 😀

I have to go to sleep now, but hopefully I shall be able to return soon. As the Japanese say, おやすみなさい (good night)!

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani Welcome! 😛

Another friend of mine is learning Japanese, too! I try to stay as far away as possible from languages with their own alphabet XD Elvish is like the only exception XD

*grins* I think Russian is a cool language, but I will never attempt to learn it.

I’ve not taken any ALS courses, but I know the alphabet, so I can just spell out words XD And I know how to introduce myself. *nods* That’s about it. I want to take time to actually learn it through and through, but I have no time to take time from XD

Oh, that’s cool!! I’m doing something similar for one of my WIPs. I’m making a rune language for the Witches to use. *nods* It’s pretty cool so far? I guess?

Oh, by the way… I may end up being inactive for weird periods of time. This morning (around 9:30), I woke up to the news that my granddaddy called at 4:30 to say that my granny fell and hit her head and ribs. Daddy went up there (they live literally a quarter mile up the road from us) to help get her into the car, and anyway, long story short, they called an ambulance because they thought she might have broken her hip. They took her into town to the hospital, etc etc, and she does have a broken hip. They’re going to start surgery to put a rod in this morning sometime after they get an ok from her heart doctor. She’s heavily sedated, and is in a ton of pain whenever they try to move her. So anyway, I may or may not be on and offline for a while depending on how things go. Please keep her in your prayers!

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@anne_the_noob14 O-O Absolutely! Keep us updated!

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani Thank you so much! Will do <3

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@r-m-archer

The Australian accent is very hard to perfect and most Australians don’t have the Hollywood Aussie accent downpat either

@anne_the_noob14
    I would actually correct your pronunciation to “gedday maed” . The one you had there, when I said it aloud, sounded like an Australian making fun of a Texan, which is something we do a lot, but I believe the phonetic spelling I’ve provided above will help you sound more authentically Aussie.

(I hope your granny is doing better as soon as possible)

@naiya-dyani

ASL is very cool! I know a fair bit of Auslan (And by extension BSL) but obviously ASL isn’t really that useful to me. It’d still be fun to learn one day though.

I’m trying to come up with a language too! It’s based on a mix of Polynesian languages, since they’re what I’m most familiar with outside of English. It’s definitely a lot of work though!

@r-m-archer

I can do a British accent that sounds straight out of Downton Abbey 😛

Actual normal British accents are way beyond me though.

What I’ve learned from this thread is that INFPs love languages 😁

Ceud mile failte

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

Aye, Hello @naiya-dyani and other INFPs.  How’s it going? 🙃 I don’t really know enough about the complexities of Myers Briggs to ask any deep or meaningful questions related to our type, so I’ll just wave and say G’day.

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@the-fledgeling-artist I’m doing well. How are you? 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest