fb

Impactful Books

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Impactful Books

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

It’s day 10 of the Support the Writing Community Challenge! 😀 And today’s prompt is about books that have impacted/inspired you.

And I was wondering: What have been the most impactful books you’ve read and why? How have they affected your writing? ❤️

I think dinosaurs are cooler than dragons. 🦖

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

Oooh… That’s so hard…

I know The Lord of the Rings is a pretty standard answer for a lot of people, but that one really is up on my list for a million reasons that I won’t go into a lot or I’d be writing an essay. Probably a couple ways it really influenced my writing would be showing me how beautiful a story could be while comparing dark and light/the gorgeous writing style.

The Silmarillion  was impactful in helping me to realize how much I love good world building. Since I’m writing fantasy novels that have deep history that goes behind the actual books it was really helpful to see how Tolkien’s extensive world building.

Adorning the Dark (still not quite finished) has helped me so much in believing that learning to create is not a waste of time just because there are other more talented people in the fields that I love. It has been such an encouragement to me in my faith and in my writing/musical studies.

The Wingfeather Saga helped me in seeing how to make someone love a character while seeing their weaknesses… Maybe especially because I related so deeply with the POV’s strengths and weaknesses… There’s a lot in those books that have helped me as a writer and person…

Mind Soul Ink Paper by Rachel Starr Thomson was a huge blessing to me… Her essays on writing really encouraged me as I struggled through some changes I needed to make in how I portrayed faith/viewed my writing in light of my faith. Fantastic book that one.

The Seventh World Trilogy (also by Rachel Starr Thomson) also really helped me to rethink how I viewed some things in writing/was some of my favorite fantasy after reading Lewis and Tolkien.

There’s a few books that have blessed me as a person and writer.

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@mariposa

What are yours?

@ericawordsmith

Wow. I will have to look into these. Thanks!

(I will answer in a bit.) (:

Jominkreesa

Passion = A Willingness To Suffer

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

The Shannara and Landover series by Terry Brooks were some of my earliest influences. They’re what got me into fantasy, and so many of my early stories were just rip-offs of those books, lol.

After that, Women of Kern by Maris McKay opened my eyes to the wider possibilities of fantasy, as far as worldbuilding is concerned. That helped spark my now-favorite fantasy world, which in turn eventually led to my current project.

I’ve been re-reading The Lord of the Rings, and the writing style has been so encouraging! Because my current project is intentionally very slow-paced and focuses a lot on everyday life, and to see that in this amazing classic. It was super encouraging and reinforced that yes, I can do this, and there will be people who like my book even though it doesn’t move very quickly.

I also read Love and the Sea and Everything in Between by Brian McBride recently, which has had me thinking a lot about how to approach hard, sometimes dark topics in fiction and be honest about them while using them to point to a bigger hope. (Another book I read around the same time also contributed to that train of thought, but I won’t say what it was because I thought it did a poor job of approaching the issue it focused on and I don’t want to reflect poorly on the author. :P)

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. Worldbuilding enthusiast. Singer. Fan of classic literat

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

The Redwall books by Brian Jacques have been the most impactful to me. I’ll be the odd one out and say Lord of the Rings hasn’t been very impactful to me, because they bore me to tears and I’ve never properly read all of Return of the King =P I love the Hobbit and Children of Hurin, though.

The Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer, the Dark is Rising books by Susan Cooper, and the Keys to the Kingdom books by Garth Nix were also hugely impactful to me growing up. As an adult, the Ender Saga by Orson Scott Card, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, Dark Places by Gillian Flynn, and the vague body of Stephen King’s books have been particularly impactful to me.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Candide
    @candide
    • 1984 – It made feel a profound fear of suffering like the chacarters. It took from me almost one week of good sleep.
    • The Chronicles of Narnia – I was a new christian when I first read it. It was deligthful to see my brand new faith portrayed in a so smart way.
    • Bagagem from Adélia Prado. She writes poems, the first ones I read that deals with feminity and christian faith that are not related to being married or being a mother. It’s about being woman, full of humanity, in flesh. She also describres her life in a small town in Minas Gerais, a brasilian state that doesn’t have any contact with sea. Due to her writings, I decided to pursue a degree on creative writing.
    Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Oh wow.

‘Wars of The Realm’ Trilogy by Chuck Black (Current-Day-Fiction/Action/Suspense)

It was, is amazing. I have read them four times through. I don’t usually read books after I’ve read them once. (There are so many more to consume!)

Why were these so amazing?

First. The characters. They are so full, and true, and relateable, while still pushing one to be better. To do good. And to go against the bad.

Second. The plot. It is so intimate. So thorough. So thick, and proven. It was, is amazing. So many things wove together, and were used, and pulled, it, it was AMAZING.

Third. I had never thought about spiritual warfare before. It opened my mind and eyes. I actually have been praying for God to give His warriors strength because of it. The job of angels, what they go through to please God and keep us safe?

And demons. Oooh…

This book was amazing, and reaffirmed these verses:

Eph. 6:12  ‘For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.’

John 16:33 ‘These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.’

Rev. 12:9-11 ‘And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceives the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.’

1 John 5:4 ‘For whatsoever is born of God overcomes the world: and this is the victory that overcomes the world, even our faith.’

Any age could enjoy the ‘Wars of The Realm’. I read them to my dad, (who doesn’t like fiction as a rule and is 52), and they are his favorite books now. But I also read them to my sister (who’s eleven) and it is her second favorite book series. I have another friend who’s almost thirteen who loves them as her second favorite series as well. Long story short, basically any age could get something from them.

Whew. To say the least, this series is amazing. (:

____

‘The Mark of The Lion’ Trilogy by Francine Rivers (Historical-Fiction)

oh wow oh wow oh wow. Where to begin?

oops, gotta go, more later. (:

Jominkreesa

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

‘The Mark of The Lion’ Trilogy by Francine Rivers (Historical-Fiction)

oh wow oh wow oh wow. Where to begin?

The plot/story:

I learned so much. It was accurate historically as far as I was able to tell. The lines of the story were amazing, convicting, wrung my heart, and also opened it. So beautiful. So tightly knit with the characters…

The characters:

So real! So true, and alive. I truly ached, loved, and was moved for them. How they dealt with life, darkness, hate, love, fear, pleasure (both good and bad), truth and lies? It was amazing, and inspriing, and eye-opening.

Spiritually:

I grew. In faith in God. In repulsion for sins accepted by our culture and humanity. In a willing heart to go forth and do what He has told me to do. Even if it cost me my life.

2 Tim. 3:12 ‘ everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted,’

Matt. 5:10-12 ‘Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are you, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for My sake.

Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.’

‘The Mark Of A Lion’ was/is a bit more mature than the ‘Wars of The Realm’, and delves deep into the wickedness of Rome (humanity), but still has a bright light shining in the darkness. The book is about this reflector of the Light (among other players) and how the darkness reacts to Christ’s unconditional love. Generally I would say fourteen for the age. (But I have loaned them to my afore mentioned friend) who is mature for her age, and I believe she will truly gain from them.

Jominkreesa

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

‘The Auschwitz Escape’ (Historical Fiction) by Joel C. Rosenberg

The plot.

Very good. Intense, and truthful, though not as detailed or shocking as other WWII novels(historical-fiction)/accounts (non-fiction) I’ve read.

Nazis. So, bad, but not gory. Rosenberg wants you to get how bad the the Nazis are, but doesn’t want to turn the more squeamish readers off. He does not want people to forget the holocaust, or the other atrocities Hitler and his followers accomplished. So he wrote this book, for those who don’t read non-fiction and enjoy a good story.

Gripping. Educational. Fulfilling.

The characters.

Very true and believable. The main character is not a Christian. Mr. Rosenberg does not push Christianity, or Judaism. But there are positive influences (characters) from both religions/faiths. He is very good, and does not come across as preachy. Their interactions was life.

They were real. I ached for them, because I knew people had gone through the exact same thing in real life. We just didn’t/don’t know their stories.

Scripture/growth in God.

Life is not a fairy-tale. I enjoy and get more from books that show such, but leave a spark of hope at the end.

Rom. 8:31-39 ‘What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

He that spared not His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God’s elect? It is God that justifies.

Who is he that condemns? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us.

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

As it is written, For Your sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him that loved us.

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.’

Gen. 12:3 ‘And I will bless them that bless you, and curse him that curses you: and in you shall all families of the earth be blessed.’

Psalm. 122:6 ‘Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love you.’

I’d say twelve would be a fine age to read. (Again, my dad /52/ enjoyed it. Just not as much as others.)

Jominkreesa

Zee
    @zee

Like most of you, I find it hard to narrow down the (fiction) books that have impacted me over the years, but if I had to pick just a few…

Manalive by G.K. Chesterton

The Ballad of the White Horse by the same

C.S. Lewis’s Space trilogy: Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Crime and Punishment by the same

And that’s it for now. But I have the feeling I’m forgetting something important…

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

@ericawordsmith I have actually not read LOTR. 😉 But after reading your response, I now want to. ❤️

Ooh! I’ve heard so much about Rachel Starr Thomas! I loved the article she wrote for us at SE and have been wanting to read her books ever since. ☺️

How far along are you with Adorning the Dark? I’d love to hear what you think of it once you’re finished. 😃

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

@kimlikesart For nonfiction, definitely Creating Character Arcs by K. M. Weiland. I’m a pantser by nature and for years character arcs and plot structure were foreign to me, but her book helped me to understand those aspects of plotting.

For fiction, Robot Wars by Sigmund Brouwer ignited my love for sci-fi and middle-grade fiction (which is what I primarily write). ❤️ Before then, I’d had trouble finding books I liked (I was a picky reader 😜).

Also, more recently, Fawkes by Nadine Brandes. I was utterly fascinated by the unique premise and amazed by the storytelling. I could go on forever about what I learned from that book, but the main takeaway for me was how she realistically portrayed the good side and the bad side. Both sides had elements of good and bad in them, and it was difficult to tell which side was in the right at first (like it can be in real life). So from now on, I always give some good qualities/motives to people on the wrong side to make them seem more human.

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

@r-m-archer I hear ya. Some of the first stories I wrote when I was between 10-13 were practically doppelgängers to my favorite books. 😂

I’ve never heard of Women of Kern. What is it about? 😃

Also, I desperately need to read LOTR now. 😂

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

@taylorclogston I’ve heard so much good about Redwall! 😃 As a write of middle-grade fiction and lover of children’s books, I’ve been wanting to read them for some time.

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

@candide Aw! I love The Chronicles of Narnia! 😍 What’s your favorite book in the series?

That book by Adélia Prado sounds beautiful! I’ll have to look into it. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest