I'm writing sci-fi… Help?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions I'm writing sci-fi… Help?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

*clears throat* *puts note-cards in order*

First, is there an actual thread for sci-fi? I looked and didn’t find one, so if there is one, sorry, lol, and if there’s not, I guess this can be?? Idk??

I’m working on a sci-fi piece for my writing club’s Town Project (anybody else done a town project before?). I’m not sure how long it’s gonna be, yet. I have an outline written (I’ll paste it in down below so you guys can read it), and I have a few questions, some of which are gonna be harder to answer than others, I’m sure. Any and all tips will be welcomed with open arms 😛

So… I want to read some sci-fi before trying to write it. My parents are both huge Asimov fans, so I asked them if he wrote any articles on writing techniques, particularly for sci-fi. They suggested I google it, so I did, and, you know how google is… The more complex your search, the more confused it becomes. So if anybody knows of, or can find, any of particularly Asimov’s (Or anybody else who is/was really good at sci-fi) stuff that would be useful to me, that would be awesome.

Next up: Character/place names. I’ve never had trouble with naming my charries before. I literally always think of their names before I have a plot in mind. I have a name for my MC, but I’m not in love with it. And I have exactly zero ideas for city/planet names. The only name I have that I actually like (for one of the side characters) is Vrenth, which even that isn’t quite what I want. So if you can give me a list of cool-sounding, sci-fi, outer-galactic (is that even a word??) names for people and places, AWESOME. And I’ll give you credit, if and when I get my story published, in the “special thanks to” section 😛

Also, something I feel like is wonky is the order I’m” plotting” the story in. I have my basic, un-edited outline, and now I’m trying to think of names and whatnot, when I feel like I should be plotting out the culture, setting, traditions; stuff like that, that when I have it figured out, the names should come more easily because I’ll have more of an idea what they should sound/feel like, the reason behind the MC’s parents naming her after this plant other than after her grandmother or whatever. I think the reason I tend to skip that step is because it kinda overwhelms and scares me. So if anybody has a favorite way to make it easier to plan all that out, please share!

And lastly, character and world mapping. I know some people like to literally map out their world/character/city/whatever, and I’d like to try it that way for a change, instead of my usual “oh-this-sounds-cool-lets-just-wing-it” habit. I’d like to make the characters make sense in the world, have a believable backstory, and make their motives and emotions make sense, ya know? So if those of you who like this method would care to share (didn’t mean to rhyme that lol), I would greatly appreciate it! And of course, any other suggestions, edits to my outline, and/or questions are welcome! Thank youuuu!! And now here’s my outline exactly as I have it saved in my word doc, my few notes included:

~Girl lives in a city in the sky   (Parents members of the city council??)

~Taught that the earth down below is evil and dangerous

~Accidentally falls (?) down one day

~Is terrified because of the stories she’s heard

~Learns to love the earth

~Rises to a position of power

~Someone comes to look for her and gets captured by her army

~Person says that he/she has come to rescue her

~Girl must decide between staying or leaving

~Can’t choose and tries to unite the two worlds

~Fails and must flee in a spaceship she invented

~Gets caught in black hole (?) [Too cliché?] 

~Transported to a strange galaxy and finds an alien planet

~Learns the language of the natives and befriends them

~Learns that her two homes are about to go to war with each other

~Tries to stop them and fails

~Must learn to cope with her grief and accept what happened as being beyond her control

~Settles down on alien planet and has a family

~Learns that her son is planning to travel to earth [NEED REASON]

~Freaks out and doesn’t let him, giving him a lecture on the evils of the earth

~Realizes she is turning into another leader like the ones in her home city in the sky

~Struggles with her problem before reluctantly letting her son go, but with an armed bodyguard

~Son ditches his bodyguards and goes alone

~Communication between the two planets cuts off mysteriously

~The mother, torn with grief, writes her son a note, to be delivered as soon as communication is recovered, asking him to reunite the sky and earth

~Son gets his mother’s note [HOW THO] while doing just that

~Travels back to alien planet to his dying mother, asking her to make one last trip in a spaceship

~The mother does, and takes her last breaths on the newly-reunited earth, seeing her last wish fulfilled

~Dies happily and is buried in the sky next to her parents

"Hey. Spit that out."
    *ignores him and swallows frog*
    _____
    "This is the way."

Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

~Girl lives in a city in the sky   (Parents members of the city council??) Flip a coin on the parents bit, it doesn’t matter.

~Taught that the earth down below is evil and dangerous This sounds like something I’ve seen.

~Accidentally falls (?) down one day Very few people fall on purpose.

~Is terrified because of the stories she’s heard Give me a second…

~Learns to love the earth Astro Boy! That’s what I’m thinking of.

~Rises to a position of power Let’s make her a natural leader. Also “Those who can’t follow can’t lead.”

~Someone comes to look for her and gets captured by her army

~Person says that he/she has come to rescue her

~Girl must decide between staying or leaving Make it the hardest choice ever, put lives at stake.

~Can’t choose and tries to unite the two worlds This’ll put everyone’s lives at stake, cuz why not?

~Fails and must flee in a spaceship she invented So who built it?

~Gets caught in black hole (?) [Too clichĂ©?] I don’t read enough Sci-Fi to know, but don’t, because it’d kill her.

~Transported to a strange galaxy and finds an alien planet Have the hyperdrive malfunction or something.

~Learns the language of the natives and befriends them What’s the point of doing this? Maybe you should add and tries to get off this planet ASAP

~Learns that her two homes are about to go to war with each other On the way there, just to make a time bomb situation.

~Tries to stop them and fails 

~Must learn to cope with her grief and accept what happened as being beyond her control She needs to learn that God is in control.

~Settles down on alien planet and has a family Good luck finding another human.

~Learns that her son is planning to travel to earth [NEED REASON] The kid probably wants to do collage there or something.

~Freaks out and doesn’t let him, giving him a lecture on the evils of the earth The leaf doesn’t fall far from the tree.

~Realizes she is turning into another leader like the ones in her home city in the sky You notice that kinda stuff when you get old.

~Struggles with her problem before reluctantly letting her son go, but with an armed bodyguard

~Son ditches his bodyguards and goes alone Ha ha, whata noob.

~Communication between the two planets cuts off mysteriously 

~The mother, torn with grief [and worry, maybe?], writes her son a note, to be delivered as soon as communication is recovered, asking him to reunite the sky and earth She doesn’t lose hope easily, make sure to use that characteristic.

~Son gets his mother’s note [HOW THO] while doing just that Try setting up a tower or something

~Travels back to alien planet to his dying mother, asking her to make one last trip in a spaceship Woah, woah, woah! When did she start dying!

~The mother does, and takes her last breaths on the newly-reunited earth, seeing her last wish fulfilled

~Dies happily and is buried in the sky next to her parents

It sounds like Astro Boy, but it’s original enough to come out okay.

*Forum Signature here*

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@thewirelessblade I’ve never read Astro Boy, though I’ve heard of it a few times. (I should probably read it… Is it good?) I did notice that some of the plot, the part about her being taught that the other people out there are dangerous, etc., is very similar to this steampunk series I read called Wings of Invention or something like that, so I’m thinking I should modify that part a bit, especially since it reminds you of something you’ve read lol. Thanks for your comments! Some mirrored things I had already kinda wanted to work on, so that makes my decision more final, and others I hadn’t ever even thought of, and brought on a bunch more thoughts, so thank you again! 🙂 🙂

EDIT::: So apparently I’m an idiot lol. I just looked up Astro Boy, and after talking about how I should READ it, I feel really stupid after finding out it’s a movie XD XD My apologies XD I know how it feels to be talking about a book that’s only a book, or a movie that’s only a movie and people thinking it’s a movie or a book, respectively…

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Livi Ryddle. Reason: Apparently I'm an idiot

"Hey. Spit that out."
    _____
    "This is the way."

Princess Foo
    @princess-foo

@anne_the_noob14 Sci-fi is pretty much fantasy with slightly different tropes. You are going to want to be aware of these tropes, but the base worldbuilding will be the same as fantasy worldbuilding. Idk if you write fantasy, but advice that you find for fantasy should apply to both. You could also look up sci-fi tropes.

Looking at your outline, this sounds like it is more than one book. It looks like it is split into two very different stories, the story of a girl from a cloud city trying to survive earth in a more action-y type story where the conflict is between the sky and earth is both internal and external, and the story of a mother letting her son go where the conflict is exclusively internal. I know that books don’t need to use a three-act structure, but it honestly throws me off when there isn’t one. You might benefit by trying to plot it out in a structured way.

Also, Heir to the Sky is a book VERY SIMILAR to yours, except she succeeds in uniting the sky and earth worlds. Like, the first five plot points are EXACTLY the same, and the first half of the outline is extremely similar. I also know of another book about a girl in a sky city where earth underneath is dangerous and one day she falls and finds not all is as it seems, but I haven’t read it and don’t know what it is called.

The cake is a lie. acaylor.com

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@princess-foo I do write fantasy (my main genre) so I’ll look some stuff up…

Yeeeahh.. I’ll see what I can do. Also I’m worried it’s gonna be too long for what I’m wanting to use it for, so I’ll probably shorten it if I can.

Hrm. That makes at least four books/movies that are similar… *grimaces*

"Hey. Spit that out."
    _____
    "This is the way."

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest