I’m really stuck, can I get some help?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions I’m really stuck, can I get some help?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Urwen Starial
    @urwen-starial

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer, @banana-peacock-warrior, @josiah, @everyone else because my brain just needs so much help.

I have a pretty good writing schedule set up, and get general writing down regularly, but recently, I’ve been stuck in a rut. Unable to write. For ten days. TEN days. As a writer, I know how much my story is suffering, but I just can’t physically write, my brain has decided to die on me, or go on vacation, or, just disappear, it seems to think that it’s funny.

any tips on what to do? (yes, ten days, I’m so horrified).

"Peace in our time. Imagine that."

Emberynus The Dragonslayer
      @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

@urwen-starial

Are you trying to work on one particular WIP?

Sleep doesn't help if it's your soul that's tired.

Naiya Dyani
      @naiya-dyani

@urwen-starial Ugh, I’ve hit slumps like that too. They’re not fun at all, are they?

I’ll tell you one thing though–they do end! Don’t let how long it’s been scare you; you know you’re a writer at heart, and even if your brain is on vacation, it will come back.

Maybe your brain took a vacation because it needs one. Sometimes we writers wear our creative juices out without even realizing it. I’ve done it plenty of times. So maybe what would help is just taking a break. Set the writing aside–temporarily!–and let that part of your mind breathe by doing something else for a while. You’re an artist, right? It might help to focus on the art for a little while until the writing part of your mind returns all refreshed from its trip to Hawaii ๐Ÿ˜‰

So yeah, try not to worry (although I know from personal experience how impossible that is lol). You’ll get back in the groove! Let us know when things get better! ๐Ÿ™‚

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Urwen Starial
        @urwen-starial

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer, yes, right now I’m working on the one with Kirat, if you want, I could send it to you, and you could do some critiquing (there’s a ton that needs fixed). If you don’t mind that is.

@naiya-dyani
          , wow, talk about inspiring! Thank you, I feel so much better, maybe if I turned to editing the stuff I already have that might help too.

Let me know if either of you would like to read my story (and edit), I know there’s a lot, but don’t feel obligated that you have to read it, if you do want it, seriously guys, thank you for the help.

Naiya Dyani
          @naiya-dyani

@urwen-starial Ooh, I love reading other people’s stories! Sorry if you already explained elsewhere, but what’s it about?

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Urwen Starial
            @urwen-starial

@naiya-dyani, I haven’t actually.

It’s hard to explain. . . .um . . . it’s about Kirat, my MC, who gets bitten by a SunWolf, (copyright Ms. A. Thor.) and-

UGH!!! WHY IS IT SO HARD TO EXPLAIN????

I can send it to you if you like, it makes so much more sense when you read it.

Veraza Winterknight
              @kari-karast

I’d suggest taking a break for a while, if your brain can’t write atย all. Otherwise, I’d suggest working on something else for a while.

"You can dance with my henchman."

Urwen Starial
              @urwen-starial

@kari-karast, that’s probably the best plan, yeah. I should probably try to sleep more too, that should help.

Thanks for the advice!

Veraza Winterknight
                @kari-karast

@urwen-starial

*nods* Sleep is good too.

No problem!

"You can dance with my henchman."

Naiya Dyani
                @naiya-dyani

@urwen-starial Oh my word, I get it! Explaining your own story is a nightmare . . .

I’d be happy to just start reading it ๐Ÿ™‚ Do you have it on a Google doc or something? I know some other people have posted stories like that before.

Urwen Starial
                  @urwen-starial

@naiya-dyani, (someday I’m going to learn how to spell your username without copy/paste), Yes, it’s on a google document, and since I didn’t give it a title, googledocsย graciously used the first words I wrote on the page, so right now, it’s called Prologue. Because I haven’t had a chance to rename it yet.

Naiya Dyani
                    @naiya-dyani

@urwen-starial Yeah, I guess that’s what comes of stealing Greek and Native American names ๐Ÿ˜‰ There are others on here I’ve had to copy/paste for too!

I do that all the time for my books. I usually come up with something stupid a working title and hope I come up with something by the time I’m done. I’ve noticed some books pull their titles from a plot twist at the end so that you only understand the title after you’ve read the book. I love those kinds of titles!

I haven’t done a ton with Google docs (I usually write on Word), but just let me know once you’ve posted the link! I can almost guarantee I’ll enjoy reading your story far more than I’m enjoying my literature at the moment ๐Ÿ˜›

Urwen Starial
                      @urwen-starial

@naiya-dyani, don’t get me wrong, you have a beautiful username, it’s so pretty! I am just tired, and probably should be spending time doing so many other things than sitting around and reading the forum activity. lol.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Zm0Qul4HHI0YSnXi6TVm_PcTXpjQgLwMemiQJeTtNpU/edit?usp=sharing

that should be the link to ‘Prologue’ if you need anything else let me know.

Naiya Dyani
                        @naiya-dyani

@urwen-starial Lol, no worries! I totally didn’t read it like that ๐Ÿ˜€

And yeah. . . I should probably put the computer aside and do school . . .

*glances at the Google doc*

. . . at some later time maybe. . . ๐Ÿ˜›

I’ll let you know when I finish! I might be a little while, since I’ve got a lot of stuff going on this weekend, but I look forward to reading it! Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

Grace
                          @h-jones

I only just barely skimmed these, but what I do when I run out of creative juices is just look for something I enjoy doing that involves being a little creative – be it doodling, or brainstorming with friends, or creating a new and random story, or whatever! Just try not to put to much pressure on yourself, and usually the creative juices will get flowing again without you even realizing it.

Basically, just relax. ๐Ÿ™‚ Creative people never truly stop being creative, I don’t think. It just takes shape in a different form sometimes.

That sounds very philosophical, but it has still proven to be true in my life. xD

Secretly Hedgehog Jones. Donโ€™t tell anyone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest