I'm nobody, Who are you?

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself I'm nobody, Who are you?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Caseybold
    @caseybold

@clevercraftsman Oh gosh, so hard to pick just one! Manalive is the first novel of his I read, and that’s really what got me hooked, so that’s a good starting place. The Man Who Was Thursday is awesome, as are the Father Brown stories. For non-fiction, G.K. Chesterton’s Orthodoxy is fantastic. I know you said you don’t read poetry much, but he also wrote the epic Ballad of the White Horse. It’s one of those long story poems and is about Albert the Great – really good read.

Definitely let me know what you think of Till We Have Faces or any of these others if you get around to them! I love discussing books 😀

I'm nobody, Who are you? -Emily Dickinson 뜻이 있는 곳에 길이 있다.

CleverCraftsman
      @clevercraftsman

@caseybold Aw, shucks! All I could find for G.K Chesterton’s a tv series of Father Brown. What a bummer. 🙁

I definitely will! I should get it soon, ’cause I put it on hold at the library. 😀

Barney Fife
        /BAR-nee fīf/
        noun
        an excellent representation of me

Evelyn
        @evelyn

@caseybold Oh neat! I don’t know a technical term for that…. *shrugs* but sounds like yours is. 😉

English Country Dancing and Swing dancing is what I mainly do. My family is actually helping organize a English Country Dance for my community — there will be two a year. I’m super excited for our first one. (:

Wow, you have been writing for a long time! That is a great list of amazing authors. I would have to agree with loving J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis’s works. They’re amazing. <3  I also agree with Charles Dickens and Louisa May Alcott and L.M. Montgomery (though I haven’t read anything of the later two for a couple years). I’ve been wanting to read Crime and Punishment for a while now but haven’t gotten around to it. I’ve never heard of Louis deWohl or Gene Stratton-Porter though. Which of their books are best to start with?

I mainly write poems and fantasy novels. For some reason I can’t get short stories out of me – they always grow another couple thousand words. 😆

Caseybold
        @caseybold

@evelyn That’s so cool! It’s been a while since I’ve gone to an English Country Dance. All of my friends got into swing dancing lately, so the last few dances I attended were swing. It’s hard to practice some of that stuff without a group, you know?

I want to read Crime and Punishment too. I probably should have started there, but a friend recommended The Brothers Karamazov so I finished that one recently. It was so great I didn’t hesitate to say that Dostoevsky is one of my favorite authors, but that’s actually the only book of his I’ve read. I need to start on another soon. I love finding an author I like and just reading everything they ever wrote 😀

Citadel of God is the first deWohl I read, and still a solid favorite. The Spear is pretty good too. I love that he writes historical fiction centered on Christian saints and events, without being corny or preachy, and he understands the politics and thoughts of the times he writes about very well. Gene Stratton-Porter writes romance stories very much in the style of L.M. Montgomery or Louisa May Alcott. My favorites are A Girl of the Limberlost and The Harvester. I really can’t decide between those two.

I have the opposite problem! I always edit my stuff down to a short story and have trouble writing anything longer. I’m attempting a novel again lately but I’m a bit stuck around 19k lol . . . Have you finished any novels yet? What are they about? How do you find so much to write? Is that too hard to answer? Lol sorry, I’ve always wondered that about people who write lots of novels though.

Josiah DeGraaf
          @josiah

@caseybold Apart from Brothers Karamazov, I’ve only read Crime & Punishment and Notes from the Underground. I much prefer Crime & Punishment to Notes (although both are good), so that’s what I’d recommend. 🙂

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Caseybold
          @caseybold

@josiah I’ll definitely start Crime and Punishment next then 😀 You said before that you taught through that book – what does that mean?

What are some of your other favorite books and authors?

Evelyn
            @evelyn

@caseybold Yes! Especially for swing. My brother and I use to be able to do this flip-sort of thing but we haven’t done it in forever, so that’s the end of that. 😛

Ah neat! Sounds interesting.

I have finished a couple novels but they really aren’t anything to rant about or put on a pedestal. *shrugs* I honestly don’t know myself. I have a lot of problem with pacing. Sorry, I don’t know what to tell you….

Josiah DeGraaf
            @josiah

@caseybold My day job is at a classical charter school working as a high school English teacher. Currently in my third year teaching full-time, but I taught part-time for two years while at college before that, and during that time I taught through Crime and Punishment for a literature course at a local homeschool co-op. 🙂

Classics-wise, I love The Divine Comedy, The Iliad, Frankenstein, and Pride & Prejudice. Outside of classics, Mistborn, Speaker for the Dead, Silence, and A Monster Calls are all up there!

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Caseybold
            @caseybold

@evelyn It’s still really cool that you’ve written so much! I haven’t read any of her books, but I remember that Jodi Picoult quote “You can always edit a bad page. You can’t edit a blank page.” when I’m tempted to edit my thoughts into nothingness before I’ve even said anything.

I’d still love to hear about your novels, and if you want someone to give you feedback any time, let me know! I used to proofread and edit for a magazine on the side, and I love to read new things 😀

Caseybold
              @caseybold

@josiah That’s awesome!

I’m reading The Divine Comedy now, and Pride and Prejudice is an old favorite of mine too. I haven’t read the others you mentioned. The classics are on my list though! Mistborn . . . Is that Brandon Sanderson? I started watching one of his classes on Youtube and wanted to find something of his to read. I read Ender’s Game and that was brilliant, but I somehow never made it on to Speaker for the Dead. I guess I should make that a priority! I’d never heard of the other two, Silence and A Monster Calls, before now. I’ll look them up and see if I can get my hands on them 😀

Have you read The Count of Monte Cristo or The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy? The others reminded me of these, and I’m curious about whether or not you’d like them 🙂

Josiah DeGraaf
                @josiah

@caseybold The Divine Comedy is a real treat when you do the work for it–I hope you enjoy it! 🙂 Yes, Mistborn is Sanderson. And if you liked Ender’s Game, you definitely need to hit Speaker for the Dead–it’s one of the few sequels that (at least in my opinion) is better than the first.

Count of Monte Cristo is great. Haven’t read it in high school but it’s one of my favorites. Same with Hitchhiker, though in a  very different kind of way with that book. xD

Evelyn
                @evelyn

@caseybold Yes, that is such a good quote! I’ve always tried to be an advocate for pointing that out. 😛

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest