I'm nobody, Who are you?

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself I'm nobody, Who are you?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Caseybold
    @caseybold

Hi! I’m very new to this forum, and somewhat new to forums altogether. I’m hoping to find some community and meet other writers while improving my skills.

I write Children’s and YA stories and poetry. The stories are mostly adventure, historical or contemporary. The poetry is mostly religious and/or introspective. I’ve written for online publications, dabbled in graphic design (I’m not great at it, but I tried), and now I’m starting to freelance more and develop a better routine for accomplishing my writing goals. I’m a runner, a student of Korean, and an obsessive frequenter of libraries and bookstores.

I’d love to hear about you, and look forward to learning from each other!

I'm nobody, Who are you? -Emily Dickinson 뜻이 있는 곳에 길이 있다.

Evelyn
      @evelyn

@caseybold Hello! I saw the title of this thread and knew I had to come introduce myself. I love poetry, Emily Dickenson is such a treasure, and I’m A Nobody, Who Are You, is one of my favorites. <3

I love writing poetry as well, but I have never heard the term “introspective.” What kind of poetry is that? (:

I enjoy running – long distance especially – but don’t do it on a consistent basis. Only when I get stressed out and then I go and run three miles out of the blue. XD That’s what you get when you mix stress and stubbornness. 😉 I mostly get my energy out via dancing and frisbee.

Anyways, it’s very nice to meet you! How long have you been writing? What authors make you most want to write?

Welcome to Story Embers! 🙂

Caseybold
      @caseybold

Awesome, another Emily Dickinson fan! Nice to meet you 😀 Yeah, Emily Dickinson is one of the first poets I found, and is still a favorite of mine.

By “introspective” I just meant that I write a lot of poems reflecting on my thoughts and feelings. Maybe there’s a more technical term for that?

I wish I was a better dancer. I did a few summer camps of Irish dancing, and learned some swing dancing and English country dancing just from friends and because I wanted to hang out with them at dances. I love to dance, but am not very graceful and I take forever to pick up on new steps lol.

I’ve been writing for 12 years now. I love J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. Everybody says that I’m sure, but they’re really a lot of the reason I fell in love with reading and wanted to write. I also love Louisa May Alcott, L.M. Montgomery, Louis deWohl, Gene Stratton-Porter, Charles Dickens, and Fyodor Dostoevsky – although I have to admit, a lot of what he writes still goes way over my head.

Who are some of your favorite authors? How long have you been writing, and what are your favorite types of things to write?

Caseybold
        @caseybold

Oops! Forgot to @evelyn 🙂

WisdomOfProse
          @wisdomofprose

@Caseybold

Hello! Welcome to Story Embers! It’s a pleasure to meet you!

I love many of your favorite authors as well! But I was so surprised – and glad – to find you mentioned Gene Stratton-Porter! I’m currently reading the Girl of the Limberlost. 

Absolutely love that quote, by the way!

"‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. LEWIS

Caseybold
            @caseybold

@wisdomofprose

Hi! I’m always pleasantly surprised to find someone who likes Gene Stratton-Porter too! I only discovered her by looking through my library’s retirement shelf – for books so old and infrequently borrowed that the librarians were taking them out of general circulation. She’s so amazing, and Girl of the Limberlost is epic! Elnora Comstock is my spirit animal lol 🙂

CleverCraftsman
              @clevercraftsman

@caseybold

HEEELLLLOOOO THERE! (forgive me, I am overly obnoxious–only on the inside though xD) Welcome to SE. 🙂 I am incredibly surprised that I knew what “I’m Nobody, Who are you?” was from, since I rarely read poetry, lol. But, I did buy a book of her poems out of the blue, and they’re so much better than a lot I’ve read. 😛

Ah! I’m so happy to see another Gene Straton-Porter fan. I love Girl of the Limberlost so muuuuccchhh! I didn’t like At the Foot of the Rainbow, though. Have you read it? I didn’t mind The Keeper of the Bees, but I just couldn’t finish it. I love Freckles though! I love Charles Dickens as well! My favorite of his is Great Expectations at the moment. What is your favorite of his? Would you say you like The Chronicles of Narnia better or The Lord of the Rings? It’s pretty hard to choose, but I’d go with Narnia. <3 Have you read C.S Lewis’ Space Trilogy?

Anywho, it’s so good to have you here! <3

Barney Fife
                /BAR-nee fīf/
                noun
                an excellent representation of me

Caseybold
                @caseybold

@clevercraftsman Hi! So nice to meet you 😀

I did read At the Foot of the Rainbow. I agree, I didn’t like it as much as the others. I finished Keeper of the Bees, but it’s also not my favorite. My favorite (after Girl of the Limberlost, of course) is probably The Harvester. Or maybe they’re tied. Freckles is really good too!

My favorite Charles Dickens is David Copperfield, and I like The Lord of the Rings better than The Chronicles of Narnia. I started C.S. Lewis’ Space Trilogy because I got a cheap copy of the first book, but haven’t read the rest of the series yet. I found it a little hard to care about, but maybe I’ll give it another try some day. 😀 Did you like it? My absolute favorite C.S. Lewis is Till We Have Faces. Have you read that one?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Josiah DeGraaf
                  @josiah

Welcome to the site, @caseybold! I love Dostoevsky–Brothers Karamazov is one of my favorite books and I got to teach through Crime and Punishment once a couple years ago, which was pretty awesome. What works have you read of his? 🙂

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Caseybold
                  @caseybold

@josiah Thank you! I feel a little pretentious now because I’m a recent addition to Dostoevsky fans. I’ve only  read The Brothers Karamazov, but I was so moved by it I knew I’d found a new favorite author. I’d like to start reading another work of his. Any suggestions for which to read next?

Chelsea R.H.
                    @seekjustice

@caseybold

We’ve already met, of course, but hello again!

For a little background about myself, I’m Australian, nineteen and a dog fanatic. Dogs make me more money than writing, so I consider it my day job and I moonlight as a writer.

I also love Charles Dickens and Tolkien! My favourite work by Charles Dickens is definitely A Tale of Two Cities closely followed by Little Dorrit, A Christmas Carol and Hard Times (which is criminally underrated in my opinion).

Do you like listening to music? if so, what sorts?

Mahalo keia huiʻana

CleverCraftsman
                    @clevercraftsman

@caseybold I thought the Space Trilogy, overall, was pretty interesting, but very hard to get through! Haha, so I only finished the first book. Maybe someday I’ll read the rest. 🙂 No, I haven’t read Till We Have Faces yet! I’m hoping to read more of C.S Lewis’ soon, he’s got a lot of good ones. <3

Barney Fife
                      /BAR-nee fīf/
                      noun

Caseybold
                      @caseybold

@seekjustice Hi! YES, Hard Times is amazing! I haven’t read Little Dorrit yet, but read and loved all the others you mentioned. I guess I should add that to my reading list!

How do dogs make you money? That sounds interesting 😀

I love listening to music! I play piano (though I don’t practice very much anymore and I’m getting rusty lol :P) so I like listening to classical piano music so I can learn to play pieces more accurately. I also love playing and listening to Helen Jane Long and Vienna Teng.

And then there’s The White Stripes. Or really anything Jack White ever did lol. That guy is crazy talented. I like Lisa Hannigan on the quieter side of things. Hurt, as sung by Johnny Cash, is one of those haunting songs that’s followed me around through the years. I will never not be in love with that song. I tend to like sad music better than happy music.

Now that I’m learning Korean I’ve started listening to more Korean music. I’m not fangirl status yet, but BTS’s Singularity speaks to me.

What do you like to listen to?

Caseybold
                        @caseybold

@clevercraftsman Till We Have Faces is very different for C.S. Lewis, so if you really like a lot of his other stuff it may not be your cup of tea. I enjoy when an author does something new, like Bleak House for Charles Dickens, or The Prince and the Pauper for Mark Twain. It’s like them, but not like them, you know? Anyway I think it’s really interesting when authors break out of their normal work a bit, and Till We Have Faces is like that for C.S. Lewis. It’s almost a romance novel, but more high romance, if that’s a thing – really profound.

Have you read The Screwtape Letters, The Four Loves, or Mere Christianity? If so what did you think of them? Have you read any G.K. Chesterton? I forgot to mention him when listing favorite authors, but he’s definitely high on my list too 😀

CleverCraftsman
                          @clevercraftsman

@caseybold Huh, that’s pretty interesting! I’ll have to see how I like it. 🙂

No, I haven’t read any of those yet! I’ve hear of them, of course, but never gotten a chance to read them! Now that you mention, I’m going to put them on my library card! 😀 No, I can’t say I’ve ever heard of him. *immediately looks him up* Great! What would you say is your favorite of his?

Barney Fife
                            /BAR-nee fīf/
                            noun

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest