fb

I'm bad at these! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself I'm bad at these! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Inactive
    @red_converse

Hi all!

I find introductions to be the most awkward things in the world. “Hello, nice to meet you. Please give me a 3-5 second summary of your life because that’s all the time we’ve got.” ๐Ÿ˜… In general, I’ve always been bad at talking about myself. But here goes!

I am a late bloomer in the trade, and I suffer from imposter syndrome. As a young person who started dabbling in writing, I struggled with feeling inadequate pretty early on. My imagination was not veryโ€ฆ imaginative. At best, I could play pretend with stories that are already out there (my first endeavor was a Pokรฉmon fanfic when I was nine. I know I was nine because I was *almost* old enough to be a Pokรฉmon trainer, and I was READY FOR IT ๐Ÿ˜‚). But making my own? That was a skill I never possessed.

To make matters worse, I actually quite hated reading. I spoke two languages before I learned English, and the words on the pages always looked like a mess to me. As I got a bit older, my middle and high school English courses made me hate reading even more. My imagination was still not very imaginative, so my reading was at face value. I couldnโ€™t understand where people were getting all the symbolism they found, and I got more and more frustrated with each assignment.

Yet somehow, despite hating reading for nearly two decades of my life, I ended up graduating with an English degree in my undergrad. If thatโ€™s not character development, I donโ€™t know what is. ๐Ÿ˜

During my time as an English major, I realized what power fiction wielded: it had the ability to teach you things that you otherwise were too stubborn to learn. Fiction tends to ninja its way past your defenses and teach you through story. My English classes taught me how to relate to God and see Him in my own story, and I think it showed me a glimpse of God as a Person rather than something I studied in my theo courses.

So now I’m here! I finished my first novella draft about 5 years ago, but I never touched it again because I hated it. ๐Ÿ˜… I knew nothing about worldbuilding at that time, and it was just a flaming hot mess. I started planning my current project late in 2017. Around Spring 2018, I wrote the first words. And shortly after that, it was pointed out to me that I tell stories like Iโ€™m recalling a story someone else told me, and there was significant emotional distance between the reader and my protagonist (hello and thanks, INTJ-ness!).

I’ve nearly given up more times than I’d like to admit. Most recent was just before I started this project. I was about to start seminary, though I didn’t actually know what I was going to do with that degree. It just felt like I “should” do it. Of course I should learn about God and theology. And God told me seminary was a bad idea by getting me to play Final Fantasy XV. ๐Ÿ˜‚ I was so excited about all the pieces that came together to give us such a great story. When I realized I was way more excited about all the story elements in FFXV than I was about starting seminary, I knew I needed to follow God’s plan instead of mine.

Welp. This ended up much longer than I was expecting. ๐Ÿ˜‚ My bad.

So much to learn! So much to write!

Hello, everyone else in the boat!

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

Hey @red_converse!! Nice to meet you. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I’m bad at introductions, too… haha.๐Ÿ˜œ Welcome to Story Embers!!

What other languages did you learn before English? I only know English, but I wanna learn Spanish sometime.

What is your work-in-progress about?

Courage, dear heart ~ Aslan

Liana J. Douglas
    @lianajdouglas

Flips in

Hey, there! I’m Lina. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I would say that I understand where you’re coming from there… but I really don’t. I’ve loved reading from the start. Which was somewhere around learning how to talk. XD

I’m just gonna be weird and throw a few random questions at you.

1. You said English was the third language you learned. What were the first two?

2. Dogs or cats?

3. Who are your favorite authors?

4. Which is better: Peanut butter and jelly, or mac & cheese?

XD Yeah, I’m a doofus. Sorry about that. Welcome to Story Embers, though!

Artist. Actress. Fantasy Fiction. MBTI Nerd. Star Wars. Marvel Films. Piano. Jesus Freak.

Inactive
    @red_converse

Nice to meet you, too, @bama-rose! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you for the welcome!

I spoke 2 dialects of Chinese (which sound so different, they basically are separate languages ๐Ÿ˜…). Since I’ve learned English, though, I “gained” an American accent when I speak Cantonese, so I’d really like to try and get rid of it and sound more like I’m supposed to speak that language again. ๐Ÿ˜–

Work-in-progress is a fantasy novel! I’m exploring the “victors write history” idea, so there is a lot of deception in the history of that world. My party is also a bit large, but I like all of them. ๐Ÿ˜… Each one represents at least one piece of my immigrant upbringing.

Are you working on anything?

Inactive
    @red_converse

@lianajdouglas Hi Lina! Thanks for the welcome. ๐Ÿ˜„

Let’s see!

1. You said English was the third language you learned. What were the first two?
    I spoke 2 dialects of Chinese! My mom and grandparents taught meย some English to prep me for kindergarten, but I didn’t really get a hang of English till maybe 3rd grade. I think that was when my Chinese accent disappeared.

2. Dogs or cats?
    Dogs! I think cats are cute, but I’m deathly allergic. ๐Ÿ˜… Both dogs and cats like me, but for vastly different reasons. ๐Ÿ˜‚

3. Who are your favorite authors?
    Hmm I have a lot. ๐Ÿ˜‚ I like Maxine Hong Kingston and Amy Tan (learned a lot from them!). I’m also really enjoying Elizabeth Lim and RF Kuang. But I think my favorite might just be Ken Liu. Just about every sentence he writes invokes wonder and envy.

4. Which is better: Peanut butter and jelly, or mac & cheese?
    Mac & cheese. I don’t really like sweet things. ๐Ÿ˜…

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@red_converse

Whoa, Chinese!! I had heard they were pretty different, which is a little confusing. ๐Ÿ˜„

Fantasy! I read fantasy, but I’ve never written it before. I’m editing my one contemporary story, which is coming along pretty slowly. And two days ago I started the next story (which is kind of a series but not really). It’s all coming slowly, but I’m trying not to compare myself to other people. I guess that’s my weakness. ๐Ÿ˜

Are you planning to join a guild?

Inactive
    @red_converse

@bama-rose

That’s exciting! I struggle with not editing as I go (the curse of the perfectionist). Sadly, I’m still kind of toward the beginning of this story, but… it feels like I’ve done SO MUCH WORK already! ๐Ÿ˜… And yeah, it’s super easy to compare, and this is largely why I have imposter syndrome. ๐Ÿ˜… It always seems like other writers are just so effortlessly good and constantly have new ideas, and I struggle with even having one original thought!

I might not join one for the time being? I’m also in grad school right now, and I’m constantly buried under textbooks and papers. I try to stick to my tiny writing goal (1/2 notebook page a day), but presently, at the end of the semester, I haven’t been able to keep up. ๐Ÿ˜ญ I have 3 papers due in 2.5 weeks! ::cry::

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@red_converse

It sounds like you’re so busy!!! I cant imagine.

I’m homeschooled right now, so I have a little more time than normal, which is nice. But it still feels like I’m super busy!!

Liana J. Douglas
    @lianajdouglas

@red_converse

Hey, that’s awesome! I’d love to learn Chinese someday. My family does a children’s program for a group of Chinese Americans every other Friday, and it gets a little weird because I don’t understand half of what some of them are saying. XD

Yep, dogs are my favorite, too. Though I’m probably a lot more similar to a cat in personality.ย Laughsย ย Trust me, you’re not missing anything. Those animals are a pain.

Alright, I have never heard of any of these authors. I’mma need to go look ’em up. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Oh, dear. I should probably leave now.ย Shakes headย ย Yet another mac & cheese fan. How do people stand that stuff? XD

Artist. Actress. Fantasy Fiction. MBTI Nerd. Star Wars. Marvel Films. Piano. Jesus Freak.

Inactive
    @red_converse

@bama-rose

I’m working on a Masters currently. It’s… a lot. ๐Ÿ˜…

@lianajdouglas

Funny enough, one of my bosses literally just asked me if I wanted a kitten. ๐Ÿ˜‚ His cat is giving birth like right now.

Hope you enjoy the authors!

Hahaha well, I just don’t like sweet things. I’m not anti-PB&J, but if those two options were the only ones in front of me, I probably would pick the mac. While secretly wishing I had soup dumplings instead.

Liana J. Douglas
    @lianajdouglas

Eyes widenย 

Don’t do it! Don’t take the kitten!

XD I’m totally kidding. Kittens are fun. I’ve just had far too many around.ย Laughs

Ah, I see. I suppose I can maybe stay around, then. XD I don’t think I’ve ever had soup dumplings before, though.

Inactive
    @red_converse

@lianajdouglas

Alas, still allergic. Haha. Plus, I have to be mindful of my rabbits. Kittens are stinkin cute, though.

Soup dumplings are my jam. It’s a dumpling with soup inside. Best. Ever. When done right anyhow.

Grace
    @h-jones

@red_converse Welcome to SE!!! Love your username! And oh lord donโ€™t worry, my intro was the worst when I joined lol xDD

Iโ€™m Grace! I see you at least know of the MBTI personality types (*is sliiightly obsessed*), and youโ€™re an INTJ, you said? That is AWESOME. ๐Ÿ˜€

Which dialects of Chinese do you know?? I have neighbors who speak Mandarin mostly but I think thereโ€™s another one they can at least halfway understand (starts with a K??). I think thatโ€™s soย cool. Are you actuallyย fromย China, or…?

Secretly Hedgehog Jones. Donโ€™t tell anyone.

Inactive
    @red_converse

@h-jones Hi Grace! Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, I tend to wear a lot of black or gray, so red converse are what I wear to finish off the look and not look entirely monochromatic. ๐Ÿ˜…

I am only slightly aware of MBTI. I really never thought much of it before because of how different my results would be, but then I figured out why that happened, and I feel its more credible now. ๐Ÿ˜‚ My N/S are close to 50/50, so that was why I sometimes resulted ISTJ (and I fit *some* of the characteristics but it didn’t feel that accurate). And I read on a site that when an INTJ goes through trauma at a young age, they could either become completely erratic or develop their Fi, which would be why I occasionally look like an INFJ. Nearly all of my friends are INFJs somehow, and they all find my INTJ-ness very amusing, and I find them amusing as well. ๐Ÿ˜‚

I originally spoke Shanghainese, but I’ve lost most of my vocabulary after my grandparents moved back overseas. Then at some point I learned Cantonese. My relatives immigrated to America sometime before I was born, so I’m an ABC. I speak Mandarin very poorly and slowly. I have to back translate through both English and Cantonese both ways before I find the right words. ๐Ÿ˜ฐ

Inactive
    @red_converse

::giggles:: Legit just now realized my name doesn’t actually pop up here. ๐Ÿ˜‚ Hi. I’m Miki. I’m not perceptive.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.