fb

I'm An Interesting Person I Promise

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself I'm An Interesting Person I Promise

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    A Kitchen Sink
    @hgm_barnes18

So, um, hey, hi guys, hi.

First things first, I didn’t realize I’d be stuck with the @ name I stupidly chose originally, and now ’m, uh, stuck with it, so… yeah. I’m @HGMbarnes18, that sounds smart, doesn’t it. -_- Obviously not as edgy and enigmatic and pretentious as I’d like. Okay, on to the intro, I guess.

I’m Hannah, a random teenage girl who loves to read and write. I’d actually been looking for writing encouragement for quite some time, and I discovered StoryEmbers a while ago. Anyway, I finally decided to say hello to all the lovely people here, so, hai there.

I am a… confusing person. And confused. But that’s just life. I don’t know what I am, exactly. Still trying to figure life out. I mean, obviously I’m human, though I’m supposed to be the “coldest human” as an INTJ (I’m also proud of this because 0.8% of females are INTJ, so that’s cool). I really love analyzing the MBTI types and what certain traits mean… when I was writing this, I had to edit out a bunch of MBTI mumbo-jumbo that I was spewing, because I’ve spent hours researching it.

As a person, I am not very chatty in real life, though on the Internet I suppose I can ramble forever if it’s about something I love. I’m socially awkward and too many people can freak me out, so thank Merciful Domi for the Internet! (That’s just a book reference and a joke, okay, I’m not in some cult to a weird false god.) As you can probably tell, I’m very good at being random and rambling, as my few but trusty friends can attest. Not that I don’t want to make more friends, of course. X)

Okay. Some of my favorite things are…

Books. My favorite stand-alone novel is The Book Thief (Markus Zusak), my favorite series (currently) is Arc of a Scythe (Neal Shusterman), and my favorite authors are Brandon Sanderson and F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Movies. I especially love Marvel movies (The Winter Soldier is my favorite, plus I just love Bucky) and anything by Christopher Nolan (especially Inception).

Music. Besides my favorites— TØP, NF, Cavetown, Imagine Dragons, Hamilton, Coldplay— I like 80’s music, scores and soundtracks, and a lot of random, obscure artists.

Twenty One Pilots, aka ukulele screamo trash, which gets its own category because it’s the best band ever. Stay Alive. |-/

I also love dark chocolate, sarcasm, wasting time on YouTube, participating in theological/philosophical/political debates (as long as they’re civil and rational), and correcting people’s grammar.

As far as my own writing goes, I write a lot of different things. I like to experiment with different styles of writing and formats based off what I read, as well as different genres or ideas. I generally write lots of speculative fiction; mainly futuristic dystopian sci-fi, and a good bit of fantasy. I also sometimes write contemporary fiction, but I can get bored with writing realistically— I mean, books are where I go to escape that! XD

My goal in writing is pretty much what I once said in a spoken word poem (which I never actually spoke to anyone but myself): “It’s just so much easier to write; | to put my words onto the page and fight | off the feelings I hate with the truth and the light.” In writing, I seek to do that in a God-honoring way, because “the truth I know often contradicts with what I feel”. But truth must prevail, nonetheless.

Besides your average novel, I love writing poetry in all different forms and styles (including what is probably my favorite; a Great Gatsby inspired story-poem at nearly 1600 words). I also sometimes write raps (I have a lot of those) or songs, flash fiction, and the occasional short story— the longest I’ve done is a seven-part short story series that I’m now working on turning into a novel.

And now this introduction to me has turned into a novel, as well, because once I get going on the things I love, I can never stop… my apologies, frens. Have a wonderful day, and Stay Inspired.

"If you called out to the void loud enough... hard enough... would the void answer back?"

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@hgm_barnes18

Hey there Hannah! I go by Wordsmith here…

I’m not 100% sure how to continue so I’ll say this:

I am an ENTJ… which I guess is the extroverted version of your own. And you don’t sound cold at all.

I think you’ll find this group really welcoming, and there will be lots of encouragement.

Welcome to Story Embers!

Published author, reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Hedges
    @h-jones

Hello, Hannah! Welcome to the forums!! Super glad to have you. Wryness/dryness is probably one of my favorite qualities in a person, so you have now officially succeeded in being approved of by another Emberling. Good for you! Have some confetti!

Ah, an INTJ! 😀 I used to think I was an INTJ, but I actually think that isn’t really true now. Ah, well, I’m not as cool as I thought I was. *shrug* To make matters worse, I don’t even think I’m a cool, edgy Introvert. I’m just a socially awkward extravert. Blegh. Not the best combo, I’ll tell you that much. Doesn’t come out much on the interwebs though, so yeah, I feel you on that level. xD

I really like your goal in writing bit. 🙂

TWENTY ONE PILOTS! YES! *fierce high-fiving*

Rap and poetry is a yes. I would love to read your Great Gatsby poem!! I actually just finished something similar – a story-poem based off Jack and the Beanstalk. That’s really neato. P:

Again, welcome. Also, join the Avensbeckers, if you ever decide to pop into a guild.

Married a blacksmith, and now frequently uses his knowledge for writing fantasy.

I, David
    @i-david

@hgm_barnes18 “Few yet trusty?” XD

Also… *whispers* you stole my quote.

Four
    INFP
    songwriter

A Kitchen Sink
    @hgm_barnes18

@wordsmith nice to meet you!

@h-jones
    thanks for the welcome; a fellow TOP-fan is always approved of. XD I would be happy to share my poem… here’s a link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PKm2nTRnwN1Ox4pzV2m_f62sGGZwXTEK0Pv0Zw38wOw/edit?usp=sharing

"If you called out to the void loud enough... hard enough... would the void answer back?"

A Kitchen Sink
    @hgm_barnes18

@hgm_barnes18 “Few yet trusty?” XD Also… *whispers* you stole my quote.

@i-david few and maybe not so trusty after all… XP *whispers back* No, I didn’t steal it, it’s not yours.

I, David
    @i-david

@hgm_barnes18 Deny it all you want, but it’s always been mine, and you know it. 😛

Also, owch. Maybe I need to take you off SNAT just to be safe, now… XD

Four
    INFP
    songwriter

A Kitchen Sink
    @hgm_barnes18

@i-david *inhales* So funny. *tries to come up with some project to use as tantalizing blackmail or something* *fails*

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@hgm_barnes18

What’s your favorite part of the writing process?

Hedges
    @h-jones

@hgm_barnes18 *spits out tea*

Holy cow, that poem is amazing.

Married a blacksmith, and now frequently uses his knowledge for writing fantasy.

I, David
    @i-david

@h-jones They all are, but she’ll never admit it. XD

Four
    INFP
    songwriter

A Kitchen Sink
    @hgm_barnes18

@wordsmith I think my favorite aspect of writing (and reading) is the characters, so my favorite part of the process is probably when a character can become a real person. It just gives such a cool connection to have my characters become real and become my friends. 🙂 What about you?

A Kitchen Sink
    @hgm_barnes18

@h-jones thank you so much. 🙂

@i-david
    *squint-glares* Not true, they aren’t all.

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@hgm_barnes18

I am character driven for sure. Almost every story I write starts with a character who I want to see come to life, and put them in an action which kinda just drops them in a setting that slowly develops along with my character. So I love creating a character and bringing them to life… but it may not be my favorite part.

I really like writing action. Action is what drives so much of my story… from description to character stuff. It’s what I put my blood into. Painting beautiful pictures. This means that my stories my lack plot depth… but I work really hard to put the reader in the scene, with vivid prose. That is my favorite part. And then the characters fall right into that.

A Kitchen Sink
    @hgm_barnes18

@wordsmith

That’s really cool. 😀 What’s your favorite genre to work with?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest