fb

Idolatry of Creativity??

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Idolatry of Creativity??

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tenshi Chispa
    @tenshichispa

Hello! I’ve had some questions on my mind for a while & thought it would be a go one to discuss.

Can creativity become a god/idol?
    If so, how can Christians fight back or prevent it?

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@tenshichispa

Hey Tenshi, that’s an interesting question. The simple answer is yes, anything and everything can become an idol. How does something become an idol? The answer to that is also quite simple. If an individual puts an activity above worshiping God as a Church (Sunday’s for most people) by performing that activity instead of attending Church. Also, if an individual puts so much time and effort into one activity that they spend much less time doing the things God would have them to do (reading the bible, praying, spending time with one’s spouse or children), then that activity is also becoming an idol. Thus, if one spends their Sunday morning (or whatever time your church has set aside to worship) creating things and filling their mind with that process instead of the bible, then creativity has become an idol. If one does an excessive amount of creativity activities to the detriment of say, reading their bible (or other responsibilities), than it has also become an idol.

To fight back against it, simply do not do the things listed above. Put God and church and family and responsibilities first, and don’t become too addicted to creativity to the point that you are ignoring or slacking in those God-given responsibilities.

Brian Stansell
    @obrian-of-the-surface-world

Hi Tenshi (@tenshichispa)

Noah has raised some good points, but I would like to add that the creativity God has given to you is a precious gift and has a place within God’s plan.

It is not an either or thing.  It’s not an:”If I serve God, do I have to give up my enjoyment of creativity?”

God wants things in perspective and in proper, priority.

Scripture says:

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. [James 1:17 KJV]

God doesn’t give us gifts of creativity to have us put them on the shelf and forget about them.  He wants us to express them, in partnership with Him, to bring glory to Him, through the talents He has invested in us.

If, however, we make using our gifts a means of displacing Him in priority, then yes, they become idols in our lives because we have made them so.

Our gifts give us the greatest joy when they are illuminated by Him.

Scripture also says:

Delight yourself also in the LORD, And He shall give you the desires of your heart. [Psalm 37:4 NKJV]

As the Good and Perfect Father He is, God delights in the joy of His children.

Put God first in whatever you do, and He will bring everything else into the proper order.

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
    I was born in war.
    Fighting from my first breath.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest