fb

I think…I may have my hands full…

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions I think…I may have my hands full…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth
    @elizabeth

Hello, people. It is I, your favorite INTP. Possibly.

…I feel like every time I come on here I should just reintroduce myself. Half of y’all probably don’t even know who I am!

Hey–I’m Elizabeth. INTP. New Wessex. *tries to think of more introductory things*

(if we haven’t met and you want to know somethin’ about me, just ask!)

*ahem*

I have a mess (read: novel) on my hands. I’ve been working on it for almost a year, and in that time it’s been through three separate reboots–which has given me a whole lot of ideas to sort through.

And that leads me to my main issue.

I think I’m writing more than one book here–as in, a series. Here are my questions: how do you outline more than one book? How do you decide where one book ends and the next begins? Do you do them at the same time or one right after the other? Should I wait until the series is completely outlined before beginning the first book?

Help… *wails*

Thanks all!

INTP. Writer of fantasy and sci-fi. Wannabe artist. Anime geek. Merakian.

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@elizabeth

Ooo! This is an interesting conversation that I would really like to follow!

I don’t have any answers, but can be a bounce box… I like to analyze problem given.

Published author, reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Catwing
    @catwing

@elizabeth Hi! *waves*
    I’m doing a trilogy. Being a pantster I haven’t outlined much.
    Just some general ideas and figured out the gist of the other two books. Pray about it. Sometimes God will give you ideas. Trust in Him either way.
    I picked a cliffhanger that felt like a good book ending. *cough* I mean three cliffhangers. *cough* Planning on picking up where that left off. I guess you just have to figure out what ending works well your book. I’ve already named my three books because I know what’s going to happen, generally. Finding Secrets, Starting Fires, Catching Shards.
    After I finish this one I plan to do the next one. I’m already loosely planning things…
    I didn’t do that. But I may be doing it backwards and sideways.

I hope that’s helpful!

When your wings are weak and you feel like you can't fly any farther you're halfway there!

Aimie
    @ajaj2000

@elizabeth

Hey Elizabeth 😀

I know of a post that may help you

How to Outline a Series of Bestselling Books

I’m focusing on writing a trilogy and duology, so I may be able to give you more tips if the post doesn’t help 🙂

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@elizabeth Hey, I’m working on a trilogy.

There are two types of trilogies. Type one is when all the books have individual stories that are interconnected. For some reason, I can’t think of any examples. *facepalm* …Oh, wait! This is a whole series and I’ve only read the first two books, but Ranger’s Apprentice would fit here. The second type is where all the stories string together to form one story. You can’t really read one without the others. Each book feels cohesive, but not in the way a standalone book does. (Example: LOTR). Some trilogies will ride a fine line between these two.

For type one, you can outline as much as you want before you start book one, but you only really need a general idea of what’s going to happen in the next books depending on how interconnected they are.

For type two, remember you’re writing one long story cut into separate books, so outline the whole story before you write book one. It doesn’t need to be a super deep outline. I’m writing an 800,000ish word trilogy which I have outlined, but I only know the basic facts. When I get to book two and book three, I’m going to have to flesh out my notes and make the story A LOT deeper! My outline for the entire trilogy only comprises 1,050 words but it’s very helpful. Without it, I’d hardly know what story I was writing and the plot would be hard to write cohesively.

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Sarah Baran
    @ethryndal

@Elizabeth Heheh, nice. This just happened to me last month.

INTJ ➸ https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

@elizabeth

1st – lovely name. It’s my middle name, so I’m predisposed to like it. 😀

2nd – I’m mostly a panster, so I’m not too well versed at outlining, but I’m currently writing a trilogy. It’s hard to say what a good stopping point can be, basically I just picked one that I thought was good. Just really think about if you were reading the series, what would be a point that you would be okay with stopping at but want to keep going enough to continue the series? I picked a point where the character is fleeing the sector, relocating, and realizes just how much her life is going to change. They have unfinished business, but it’s also a new beginning, so there’s a certain amount of keep-going-ness and a certain amount of good-place-to-pause-ness.

I'm short, I like words, and I love people.
    No, I didn't draw my profile pic.

Rebecca W
    @rebecca-w

I know I’m late to the topic, but I just wanted to say hi to a fellow female INTP writer 🙂

@elizabeth
    (I sincerely hope this will tag you. I’m not very familiar with forums)

INTP Fantasy/ Sci-fi writer. Secretly also an elf. A Parimi and of Camp Artifex.

Elizabeth
    @elizabeth

YES HELLO @rebecca-w, nice to meet you!

INTP. Writer of fantasy and sci-fi. Wannabe artist. Anime geek. Merakian.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.