fb

I have to do world-building on two worlds at once– tips?

Forums Fiction Research and Worldbuilding I have to do world-building on two worlds at once– tips?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    AnneTheStorynerdGirl
    @annethestorynerdgirl

Hey guys!

In my novel there are basically two worlds that I have to build and make feel real– all at the same time.

It is HiFi so world #1 is London, 1940s. But it is also (sort of) speculative history, so the other ‘world’ consists of people who secretly live in London but have all their own culture and traditions and clans and things. My MC starts out as a normal girl in London and then is plunged into the other ‘world’.

Any tips for how I can quickly make England feel real and accurate and in the middle of World War Two, so that we already understand and feel part of it before launching into all the brand-new worldbuilding of the other ‘world’?

Collector of real-life stories. Chocolate enthusiast. Narnian.

Aimie
    @ajaj2000

@annethestorynerdgirl

Hey Anne

Is HiFi supposed to be SiFi? I don’t write in that genre or haven’t read any of it in a long time. But I think I may be able to help. 🙂

Luckily with the 1940s not being that far back, you should find a lot of information without it being populated by lies or just guessing more than fact. So I recommend you research things like even the weather of that time. But that advise is obvious isn’t it? 😛

What I think really answers your question lies in your character. How that character thinks, believes, acts and how she even is treated is because of the world she lives in. So maybe she can comment on the news or how she sees fewer men than before? Maybe the characters from the other “world” treat her differently than the people she has lived with and finds it odd or weird? Basically, the world is shown through your characters even if they’re the “rebels” of their time.

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

Quickly? Oh, boy. You can create speculative worlds pretty quickly if you know about cultures and societal structures in general, but historical research is hard to do quickly. I’d definitely recommend getting a handle on the major locations and events you want to incorporate into your story, so you can research those. Then I’d get books that cover fashion, technology, culture, and anything else that’s going to come up in everyday life. You can study the different Brittish dialects on youtube.

It’s tough stuff. I think that’s why a lot of historical fiction writers stay in one era for several books, because the research is so intense. I’m going to write a historical fiction book here in an estimated 6-8 years and I’m planning to give myself 3-4 years beforehand to do the proper research (while still writing other books at the same time.)

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

AnneTheStorynerdGirl
    @annethestorynerdgirl

@ajaj2000

Hi! I actually meant Historical Fiction… but no worries, I think I totally made that weird “HiFi” acronym up. 😉

Thanks bunches for your thoughts!! I have already been enjoying ‘exploring’ England through a mix of modern day articles as well as things from/about the 1940s.

Ooh woah, have you read my plot??!! jk That makes SO much sense, and I can especially see how that will help since it is a first-person POV!! Thank you thank you! I will try to keep this in mind while writing and revising. 🙂

Thanks again!!

AnneTheStorynerdGirl
    @annethestorynerdgirl

@daeus-lamb

Amazing amazing advice. Thank you!! I never thought of getting books on those subjects, and should definitely look into the different variations of Brit accents. All those seemingly little things will definitely help my London world automatically feel more real-life.

Yeah, really tough. I probably should have researched more before launching into writing. lol 😉 But I’ll figure this out eventually! What I really don’t want to do is publish hastily and then dislike my own book ever after. 😮

Looking forward to your upcoming book!! Sounds like it will be very well thought out. 🙂

Aimie
    @ajaj2000

@annethestorynerdgirl

Hey, Anne just saying that I’m glad to be of some help 🙂

Samuel
    @samuel

@annethestorynerdgirl

If you’ve never lived there I think a lot of research is in order. You should research British terms, customs, traditions…Anything you can get. In 1940 the war was about two years in so it wasn’t horrible quite yet, but still bad especially in UK and Germany. I also think weather in London is usually dreary and gray, but they never have tornadoes or hurricanes. They may have thunderstorms but I don’t know. They call chips ‘crisps’, french fries ‘chips’, cookies ‘biscuits’, diapers ‘nappies’ (though I don’t know why you’d need that one), and I may be stereotyping but I think they only bathe on Sundays and Wednesdays? Just some random London facts.

But hey, at least you didn’t have to build eleven different worlds at once. 😛

No one reads these anyway

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest