fb

I Forgot an Antagonist!

Forums Fiction Characters I Forgot an Antagonist!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Brink
    @nuetrobolt

I was just reading a forum where people were talking about their antagonists, and I thought back to who my antagonist was, and I realized, I HAVE NO ANTAGONIST! What do I do?

Ok, here’s the situation. I have an antagonist (who really isn’t at all well developed (not at all developed. I just realized I know nothing about him, not even his name.)), but he only comes in the second book of the trilogy. None of his minions even show up in the first book. There are absolutely NO hints about him. And I can’t change that without ruining everything. Well, I could maybe make one or two extremely vague hints, but that’s the most I can do.

Well, I just realized that I do have sort of an antagonist, kind of like a side antagonist in the series, who gets introduced in the first book, but there isn’t much about him either, only a small section. Now that I think about it, there really isn’t much of a bad guy in the first book. I mean, there are small antagonists, but there is no main one.

Does this story sound horrible? Should I try to mess it all up and put an antagonist in it? Is it really important to have the main antagonist in the first book?

Your story is yours and no one else's. Each sunset is different, depending where you stand. -A. Peterson

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

Is there an opposing force in the story? A struggle that the main character is going through or an obstacle that has to be overcome or some sort of change that they’re trying to stop? The antagonist doesn’t have to be another person, so if you have some sort of strong opposing force – humanoid or not – I wouldn’t worry about it too much. At the very least in that case it’s not something to worry about until you’ve completed the first draft and you’re editing. 🙂

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. Worldbuilding enthusiast. Singer. Fan of classic literat

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

@r-m-archer, there are several opposing forces. For instance, at one point, a side villain tries to kill him, leading to something in the later books, but probably the main villain at the climax is just his own tribe, who later in the series helps him. They imprisoned him and are going to exile him for a number of reasons. Anyways, there are villains, but there just isn’t one main one in the first book. I now am feeling like I should be introducing the series’ main villain in the first book.

Your story is yours and no one else's. Each sunset is different, depending where you stand. -A. Peterson

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@neutrobolt If there are opposing forces throughout the first book and there’s a reason for the main villain to not be introduced until later than I don’t think you have much to worry about, though you’ll probably want to at least add in those vague hints you managed. See if you can foreshadow it, but I don’t think you necessarily have to introduce him fully in the first book.

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. Worldbuilding enthusiast. Singer. Fan of classic literat

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

@r-m-archer, they are very vague hints, but I’ll put them in.

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

@r-m-archer, thanks!

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@neutrobolt No problem. Happy to help. 🙂

Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

First off, OW! That’s gotta hurt, man. I’d probably make a secret organization to fix that problem and deal with the rest when the time comes.

Sounds lazy, probably is, but what do I know?

Good luck! – Blade

*Forum Signature here*

Parker Hankins
    @parker

@nuetrobolt, I think it’s cool if you have the antagonist in the next book.

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

@parker ok good.

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

@thewirelessblade that doesn’t sound too lazy.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest