fb

I deleted the wrong word doc… :(((

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions I deleted the wrong word doc… :(((

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

So. I’m officially an idiot. I was making more space on my flash drive thingy by deleting old word docs and whatnot. Now, I have two each of every word doc, because I have two computers I work on, and they each need a different doc style. Or whatever. So I have my odt. files and whatever the other one is. And sometimes I forget to paste in the changes I make from one to the other, so I was checking each duplicate before deleting it, to make sure I kept the one with the most up-to-date changes. K, so I do all this, and today I get out my flash drive and I’m gonna work on one of my major WIPs. So I open it up, and there’s only a 2234 word count, instead of the 5000-something word count there’s supposed to be. So I get this sinking feeling and I scroll down to this one chapter where I made the most changes, that happened to be my favorite chapter, and it’s not even there. So if anybody knows if there is a way to get back a deleted word doc, I would be INCREDIBLY thankful if you’d help! XD I doubt there is, but… Oh also I have allergies on top of this. And we’re having family trouble. And Mama’s new car isn’t working. And while I’m making this list, I pulled that little piece of skin next to my fingernail too far and now it hurts. (Don’t try to tell me I’m the only one who’s done that… I know somebody else out here has…)

Any writing bloopers anybody wants to share to make me feel better??

“Enough! Be quiet! I can’t hear myself think! I can’t hear my teeth chatter!"

Catwing
    @catwing

@anne_the_noob14 *Swoops in* *takes out a box and sits down* If I have learned anything from watching crime shows and my dad working with technology, it would be this: Delete does not mean delete. (Unless you have special program that “cleans” the memory. Which I doubt. XD) Though also if your computer has already written over the file, then it’s gone for sure. So the sooner you stop using your computer and try to look for the file the more likely it will be that it won’t be overwritten.
    Do you have a trash folder/can/file/app thing? If you do then you can go there and retrieve it really easily. You may have to look for it a little bit.
    Otherwise you have to restore a back-up file, if you have one, or get data recovery software.
    You can probably look it up too. 🙂

I’ll be praying for you.
    I think everyone has done that fingernail thing at one point in their life.

When your wings are weak and you feel like you can't fly any farther you're halfway there!

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@catwing Maybe? I mean, I deleted it from my flash drive, so it wasn’t saved to the actual computer. But would it be in the “trash” folder of the computer I had it in when I deleted it? I’ll go check..

Thank you 🙂

Yeah, probably so XD

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@catwing Ok so I spent the last however long trying to recover the stuff using the Windows+R, cmd, etc commands which did recover a couple deleted files with info about the system or whatever, but not my docs. I looked around through as many trash folders (1) as I could, and couldn’t find anything. I think I’m just gonna have to try and remember what it was I had written and type it back up as best I can. *sad face*

Or I might ask my uncle tomorrow, cause he’s pretty techy.

J. B. Stanhope
    @jbstanhope

@anne_the_noob14 If you want any chance to recover your data, <b>do not save anything to the flash drive.</b>

@catwing
    is right that when you delete a file it only removes a record that the file exists, not the actual data. As a result, there is software that exists that can attempt to recover deleted files. However, if you save something else to the flash drive, the computer could write over the memory where the file was stored. I don’t have any particular software to recommend, but know that they exist and have used them.

Also, you said you had to versions of each file. Is the other one up to date? Did you check other computers for the up to date version?

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@jbstanhope *nervous laughter* Well, I might’ve sorta saved a heck ton of pictures onto it from my phone… And I’ve already checked the other computer, as well as the other copy. I was talking to @wordsmith yesterday, and he said that sometimes it’s good for you to have to rewrite something, especially if it’s a chapter you really liked. (He had a more dramatic way of putting it, but you get the point) So I think I’m gonna lay off the search for it and just wing it. I remember most of the wording I used in my favorite scene, so I am happy about that. But thanks for y’all’s suggestions! 😀

(Oh yeah, @wordsmith, I’m still working on how to win that whole “it’s-actually-the-knife’s-pain-that-you-feel-when-you-stab-it-not-the-pain-inflicted-by-the-knife-when-it-stabs-you” argument.)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.