fb

I can’t seem to actually write

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions I can’t seem to actually write

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

The #1 reason I can’t write is because of….. 💫💫depression💫💫 whoo. I know like everyone says they have depression, but its really true. I also have some crazy, crazy things happening in my life. I also have homework. I’m starting work soon. I have things to do and I only have a small window of time. But for some reason instead of using that time I have my brain completely shuts off and I waste my time because I can’t make myself focus or do anything at all. I’m able to write sometimes but it’s so sporadic it’s not helpful for anything… I guess I really just need some help if anyone knows the slightest bit, about writing with depression, how to write on barely any time, ect.

Anonymous
    Urwen Starial
    @urwen-starial

@phoenix

Ah, recently I’ve had similar problems. Whenever I have the chance to write, my brain won’t work.

The best I can get to understanding my problem is this: My brain hates pressure, stress and deadlines.

I think that some of the problems I’ve had, are because I feel pressured to write when I’m able to sit down. I feel like I have to write something half decent or acceptable, and this stresses me out.

Stress and certain amounts of pressure just make my brain shut down.

When I do my planning for the week, I like to sit down and plan out what I’m going to write each day as a goal. But instead, my brain decides it has to write exactly what I said I’d write, instead of just setting it as a goal to reach. Thus, stressing me out and making my brain shut down.

You seeing a theme?

The best way I’ve figured out to handle it, is to have a few minutes before my writing sessions to brainstorm. To ask myself questions that I want to answer with my writing. It refreshes my brain, and helps me to think better.

I have the same problem, where most of my writing is useless to the main plot, is just irrelevant in general, or somehow distracts the situation. The best way I handle that, is to brainstorm ahead of time, get some ideas that can link pieces I’ve written or will write to the plot, without side tracking the story.

This may not be relevant to your situation, but thanks for letting me dump my problems with my writing here. XD sorry for the long post. Again, sorry if this doesn’t help.

“Tears sparkle like fallen stars, the world at our fingertips, We didn’t know, It wasn't happiness.

Anonymous

@urwen-starial hey thanks for responding to this. And yeah, that might help, I’m not sure. Is there any specific way you use to brainstorm? Also if you mind me asking (I’m just curious) how old are you?

Urwen Starial
    @urwen-starial

@phoenix

Wow. XD

It’s hard for me to describe my brainstorming. Um. . .

Usually I just sit and think. I like to ask myself questions, because then my brain wants to answer them.

Usually I can get some good ideas by showering, because the sound of running water clears my head.

Idk, *shrugs* I like to stick sticky notes on the wall with random ideas, then I connect them to things in the story, and develop them, then if they’re good, I keep them.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to know my age?

“Tears sparkle like fallen stars, the world at our fingertips, We didn’t know, It wasn't happiness.

Anonymous

@urwen-starial you just sounded kinda wise and I thought maybe you’re like one of the older members idk

Urwen Starial
    @urwen-starial

@phoenix

XD

Thanks. 🙂 XD

Urwen Starial
    @urwen-starial

@phoenix

But I’m not. 🙂

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@phoenix Oof. . . depression is rough. I don’t have it chronically, but there was a few-month period a while ago that I had it really bad. I think that was the same time I started writing a story for NaNoWriMo that was darker than a lot of the stories I’ve written, at least from my point of view. I ended up stopping it for personal reasons after a few chapters and moving on to a different story mid-month, though.

Anyways. Am I able offer very specific advice? Not exactly. Because I understand that motivation can be a seriously hard thing in the midst of depression! But I guess one thing would be to not try to shoot for, like, a thousand words every day if you’re not a super fast writer. Just start with setting some really manageable goals. That way you’ll be able to pull some encouragement from accomplishing your goals each day.

But that’s just a suggestion. If I think of anything else, I’ll try to put it down here. 🙂

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Hope McClellan
    @hope-mcclellan

@phoenix

I would echo what Niaya said: give yourself small, achievable goals. Meeting goals gives you encouragement.

I just realized recently that I have been placing a lot of pressure on my writing. Who was placing that pressure? Me. I felt so pressured to write that I was doing it out of duty, and not out of enjoyment. Give yourself the permission to suck. Not all writing days are going to be good writing days, but removing pressure and giving yourself permission to be less than perfect can be so freeing.

Give yourself that grace, that when you have the time to write, you can, and it doesn’t have to be good. Enjoy being creative.

Writing on barely any time is a tough question to answer. My best suggestion is to use pocket moments wisely. Everyone has “pocket moments”. These days people usually use it to hop on social media, flip through their apps, etc. I would encourage you to use that time instead to open up notes and jot down a sentence or two.

I hope this helps some.

"Write the vision, and make it plain on tablets, that he may run who reads it."
    Habakkuk 2:2

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest