fb

Howdy Al!

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@melancholicwriter

Nice to meet you Tasha! “Prof” has a nice ring to it. 😉

Keep working hard on those books!

Lona
    @lonathecat

@obrian-of-the-surface-world

Yes! That’s the one! 😀

I think you are the first person I’ve met of SE that’s heard of him.

Brian Stansell
    @obrian-of-the-surface-world

@lonathecat

I’m pretty sure both Daeus and Josiah knew his works as well. 😉
    I have two of his books.

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
    I was born in war.
    Fighting from my first breath.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

(Sorry I took a while to reply, I prioritized incorrectly XD)

First off, I came up with a plot idea, I then brainstormed the gist of the story in my head. Getting that at of the way I did the outlining in this order: Made character profiles; did a chapter by chapter outline for the plot/external events with very short summaries of each chapter; make a outline for each of my protagonist’s character arcs going through the chapters in chronological order; then fit it as neatly as possible in the traditional story structure system (since my mind works similar to the story structure system already, that was pretty easy, but I fit it  loosely into the story structure, meaning it didn’t fit perfectly, mostly due to fact that my book has multiple main characters).

After that, I made short outlines/descriptions for various miscellaneous events or places, such a descriptions of major places of action, character’s relationships, and the antagonist’s plan. I got ideas from many other authors but I mostly just made up an outline that was intuitive for me. We’ll see how it goes.

Sounds like a plan! Your planning sounds very well organized and systematic, I’m sure that’ll help! (Can’t relate, I have my outlines scattered over 2 documents and a notebook XD)

Oh Rose, I also have had to experience the stupidity of turkeys. I raised about 10 of them last year. If a coyote wanted one for dinner all he would have had to do is knock on their coop’s door and they would have happily let him in.

Oh, yes, I’m afraid that’s all too true. A few years ago, we had about 14 turkeys. Their shelter was an A-frame with a tarp over it, big enough to fit all of them. Yet, we forgot that turkeys will always sit on the highest perch, so they all roosted on top of the shelter, instead of inside it. Even in rainstorms. It was ridiculous. XD

And the top of the shelter was barely large enough to fit 13, so one would jump up on one side and push all the others over, so another turkey flew off on the other side. Repeat the process as many times as needed. (I wish I were making this up XD)

As for chickens, they don’t just occasionally turn cannibal, they also literally go mad once in a while. We have had them start running back and forth into fences out of nowhere and for no reason.   I made a petition to the NCCA (National Chicken Care Association) to start an asylum for chickens.

Ah, yes. Intelligent creatures XD

What part of your WIP are you most looking forward to?

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

There are so many parts I’m looking forward to Rose. xD To start with, I actually quite enjoy the outlining process. It’s the time where I come up with my most interesting and shocking ideas and events, and then put them in an orderly fashion.

If you’re talking in story structure language, then probably the midpoint. The midpoint to me is one of my favorite sections of a well written book. It can hold big events or plot twists, and is usually the turning point for the characters internal journey; the time where they start trying to fix their flaws. I am actually more excited about the midpoint than the climax (not to say I’m not excited about the climax as well), though I know many people are climax enthusiasts (including my sister), which is understandable. 🙂

I am also really looking forward to writing the early chapters and exhibiting my protagonist’s flaws and skills (first plot point and first half of the second act).

What part are you most looking forward to in your writing?

Story Embers welcomes you, Professor Cochran! ( 😉 )

So where, if I may be so presumptuous as to ask, did you get your degree? xD But enough joking around here… down to business.

*grins but quickly composes myself into seriousness once again*

*changes mind about being serious because I can’t think of a profession sounding and serious way to talk*

I like reading medieval books as well, though I’ve only ever tried writing one and ended up dropping it off a cliff. xP Lol. I’ve actually read  quite a few books in medieval times, though. The Kingdom series (by Chuck Black) is in medieval times, but in a made up world, as is The Ranger’s Apprentice series (by John Flanagan). I’ve read some others too, but I can’t think of them at the moment.

What do you like to do in your free time, besides read?

I enjoy reading, writing (though sometimes I don’t always feel like writing xP ), playing hockey, playing piano, singing, and hanging out with people. 🙂

Interesting fact: I’m from Canada, like @MelancholicWriter.

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future. -JRR Tolkien

@MelancholicWriter

I just realized not only are we both from Canada, we both have tag lines by JRR Tolkien. 😛 🙂 My family and I are watching the LOTR movies this week, and last night we just finished The Fellowship of the Ring. I loved one of the lines Gandalf said, so I’m considering changing my tagline to it. 🙂

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future. -JRR Tolkien

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

Greetings Olivia!

I got my degree in MO university of crazy scientists. My degree is in time travel. I walked on the moon before Neil Armstrong. I’m the reason humans aren’t mindless cyborgs. This is starting to sound rather unbelievable. xD  😉

For my free time, I play strategy board games with my family, I like to sing (glad to here you do as well 🙂 ), and I love to talk to people (I’m quite a gregarious person).

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

If you’re talking in story structure language, then probably the midpoint. The midpoint to me is one of my favorite sections of a well written book. It can hold big events or plot twists, and is usually the turning point for the characters internal journey; the time where they start trying to fix their flaws. I am actually more excited about the midpoint than the climax (not to say I’m not excited about the climax as well), though I know many people are climax enthusiasts (including my sister), which is understandable.

I’m totally a midpoint person! If I’m reading or watching something and the midpoint comes and goes without something happening, I’m disappointed. I don’t care that much about the climax, except when it’s especially good. In my genres, it’s usually some epic battle that I lose interest in somewhere halfway XD

I usually put at least one subversion/plot twist in my plots. (Though, I usually end up with a lot of smaller points that jerk the plot in an entirely different direction.)

I love the smaller plot twist that just seem normal and then everything just clicksIt’s glorious if I succeed 😉 (I enjoy foreshadowing way too much)

I am also really looking forward to writing the early chapters and exhibiting my protagonist’s flaws and skills (first plot point and first half of the second act).

That part is always so much fun! I’ve noticed I tend to take a long time in the setup, mostly because I have a lot of stuff to establish, and I still struggle with being concise and interesting in setup. (Though I think I’m improving!)

What part are you most looking forward to in your writing?

Hmm, usually, when I get started, I have extremely vivid images of a few scenes. They’re not even important, sometimes it’s just the fun little tension-relief moments in between, but I always look forward to them so much.

Right now, I have a lovely, dramatic confrontation scene between the protagonist and one of the villains that I’m really looking forward to. (Mostly because it features that specific villain and I love writing her so much. She’s the kind of character that deserves a side novel XD)

And I’m getting really close to the All is lost, and it’s going to be glorious because I have so many plans for how to kick my heroes while they’re down. It’s going to be terrible!! Isn’t that great!? XD (I actually (almost) feel bad about it. Kinda.)

Anyway, I’m also looking forward to going back to book 1 and rewriting. I’ve rewritten all of act 1, and I find I actually really enjoy rewriting. It isn’t as stressful as drafting, and the results are way more satisfying.

Oh, and for book 1, I also have to write all of the second half of the second act. Because the first draft didn’t have that. At all. Yeah, I don’t know why either. Anyway, that’ll be cool 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Rose.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

Hmm, usually, when I get started, I have extremely vivid images of a few scenes.

I am precisely the same way Rose. I am really looking forward to a couples specific scenes in my WIP. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest