fb

Howdy Al!

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

Howdy y’all!

I decided to try out story embers to see what y’all are like. 🙂

I’m Noah, but you can call me Professor Cochran. 😉 jk

I started writing about a month ago, but I have always loved to read and been interested in writing for a while now.

My favorite genre is the medieval era, and I read a lot of history in that time period (Dan Jones and Frances Gies being my favorite history authors). I also enjoy Victorian era crime fiction by authors such as Arthur Conan Doyle, Willkie Collins, and Agatha Christie. As for medieval fiction, that’s harder to come by, but Behold the Dawn by K. M. Weiland is fantastic.

I’m intrigued by y’all, so let me know your ways. 🙂

-Noah

Lona
    @lonathecat

Hi, Noah! Welcome to SE! 🙂

I go by Lona around here. And, no, I do not have a white cat named Lona (seems like just about everyone has asks me that). Lona is simply a cat from a book written by one of my favorite authors. Have you heard of George MacDonald?

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie are also impressive authors! I spent last summer reading Sir Arthur Conon Doyle, and recently read my first Agatha Christie novel. I remember liking both of their writings. Do you have a favorite book from either of them?

Anyways, I hope to see you around. 🙂

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

Hi Noah, I’m Rose!

I decided to try out story embers to see what y’all are like.

Well, first of all, we’re all weird to some extent or other, so welcome to the platform where weirdos nerd over very specific things! Yay!! XD Jk, (kinda) but everyone on here is amazing, and I’ve learned so much here!

My favorite genre is the medieval era, and I read a lot of history in that time period (Dan Jones and Frances Gies being my favorite history authors). I also enjoy Victorian era crime fiction by authors such as Arthur Conan Doyle, Willkie Collins, and Agatha Christie. As for medieval fiction, that’s harder to come by, but Behold the Dawn by K. M. Weiland is fantastic.

Ooh, cool! I love Arthur Conan Doyle as well! I have yet to read Agatha Christie, but I do want to sometime! What book of hers do you recommend?

I love reading and writing historically-inspired fantasy or historical fiction. (and yelling at authors about how corsets do and do not work and how horses aren’t motorcycles.)

My favorite books include Ranger’s Apprentice and Brotherband by John Flanagan. (There’s a lot to improve about those books, but the main relationships are so awesome they save the whole series XD), The False Prince series by Jennifer Nielsen, and her historicals, (especially Resistance).

Hmm, what else? I like Dickens when I can listen to it as an audiobook so I don’t have to suffer through four pages of description, (Great Expectations was my favorite) and I love stuff like Anne of Green Gables and Little Women.

I started writing about a month ago, but I have always loved to read and been interested in writing for a while now.

Cool! I started about a year ago, and the idea was fueled by boredom and frustration with returning way too many disappointing books.

What’s the premise of your current WIP?

Anyhow, hope to see you around!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

Lona,

The George MacDonald who write the Flashman series? I actually heard of him quite recently and was looking into his books. The way Sherlock Holmes is broken up into short stories, I can’t choose one. But I have read Sherlock Holmes books by around 7+ other authors. As you can see, I quite enjoy my Holmes and Watson. My favorite Christie book would have to be either Murder on the Orient Express, or The Murder of Sir Roger Ackroyd, but there are many other fantastic Hercule Poirot books.

You as well. 🙂

Rose,

I have some experience around what-to-be writers. 🙂 My sister is working on a trilogy right now, and she has a few friends (some she met on kingdompen) who are also down that same alley. I’ve been doing practice writings (envisioning scenes, and then writing them out in a mix of prose and dialogue) and then have my sister and friend (an avid reader) look over them and give me tips. Maybe I’ll send some of y’all my practice writings so you can give me your advice. 🙂

Agatha Christie’s Hercule Poirot series is fantastic, but the best three are probably Death on the Nile, Murder on the Orient Express, and The Death of Sir Roger Ackroyd.

I’ve got some cousins who love Flanagan’s books. I read most of the ranger’s apprentice series, and it was alright; but I will agree that a couple of the character’s relationship’s was the best part. 🙂

The False Prince is a great book. Probably one of the best single ya books I’ve read (the rest of the series is decent). My younger sister has read her historical fiction, I might try it sometimes, but I’m more of the medieval and renaissance guy.

I’ve been considering getting into Dickens (I believe reading him makes me more sophisticated xD), and I’m sure I will someday, but a couple of my friends just tried to read Bleak House (partly by my coercion) and they couldn’t get a fourth through. But I’m still interested, particularly in David Copperfield.

“I started about a year ago, and the idea was fueled by boredom and frustration with returning way too many disappointing books”

I can not agree with this statement enough Rose. I get so tired of picking up a medieval fiction or fantasy and it being chuck full of things I don’t like or just badly written. So well said. :p

I’m working on a stand alone novel set in medieval (around the year 1270) France. I’ve been outlining it for about a week now.

You as well!

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

I have some experience around what-to-be writers.   My sister is working on a trilogy right now, and she has a few friends (some she met on kingdompen) who are also down that same alley. I’ve been doing practice writings (envisioning scenes, and then writing them out in a mix of prose and dialogue) and then have my sister and friend (an avid reader) look over them and give me tips. Maybe I’ll send some of y’all my practice writings so you can give me your advice.

I’d love to see them! That’s a great way to practice! Oh yeah, Kingdom Pen! I read the articles and newsletters, but I’m not on the forum.

Agatha Christie’s Hercule Poirot series is fantastic, but the best three are probably Death on the Nile, Murder on the Orient Express, and The Death of Sir Roger Ackroyd.

Great! I’ll remember those, I’ve heard a lot about them!

I’ve got some cousins who love Flanagan’s books. I read most of the Ranger’s Apprentice series, and it was alright; but I will agree that a couple of the character’s relationship’s was the best part.

Totally! I feel like the series was best between books 5-9. Before that, the writing had little direction, and after that, the arc had ended and it felt like tacking onto a series that didn’t need it. And the plots have been deteriorating, honestly. But the ‘found family’ relationships between the characters were amazing and really well-rounded.

The False Prince is a great book. Probably one of the best single ya books I’ve read (the rest of the series is decent). My younger sister has read her historical fiction, I might try it sometimes, but I’m more of the medieval and renaissance guy.

Definitely! The first book was by far the best. After that, it started getting flatter, since the big secret was out. (It really could have benefitted from more pronounced themes and stronger character development, imo)

I love Sage though, he’s one of my all-time favorite protagonists. I think it’s one of the few series where the main character was actually the most interesting one. And the foreshadowing and twists in the first book were superb. I didn’t see it coming at all!

I’ve been considering getting into Dickens (I believe reading him makes me more sophisticated xD), and I’m sure I will someday, but a couple of my friends just tried to read Bleak House (partly by my coercion) and they couldn’t get a fourth through. But I’m still interested, particularly in David Copperfield.

I read (or actually listened to) Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations. I want to listen to more some time, but I keep forgetting.

I’m working on a stand-alone novel set in medieval (around the year 1270) France. I’ve been outlining it for about a week now.

Awesome! The outline and the first few chapters (at least for me) were one of the hardest parts of getting started. I had absolutely no clue what I was doing, so I just kinda bungled my way through it and outlined a novel that I now recognize as immensely, impressively terrible. LOL Though, I wrote the entire thing. (although I changed more than half of it when I figured out how bad my outline was)

Anyway, it turned out to be a trilogy instead of a standalone. That was not in my planning, but I had no idea how to approximate how much page time an event would fill.

I’m still working on that. I re-outlined the first book and got a start on rewriting it, but I paused that to finish drafting the second book. I’m 75k into that. (My planning was for the book to be 100k, but I think it might pass that since I’m only nearing the All is Lost moment.)

It’s about the princess of a desert tribe who has to rescue her brother from an enemy tribe before a war breaks out.

The setting is inspired by medieval North Africa, and I’m having a lot of fun with that.

Are you using a story structure for your outline?

Once you have your main character kind of planned out, it might help to put him/her into one of the Character castles on here! It’s helped me so much with solidifying my characters and figuring out more about them.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

That’s an intriguing plot. How long have you been writing the first book? It sounds like you’re making great progress. How many pages do you write a week?

I read a bunch of books and watched a lot of youtube channels on writing before starting. Both of those sources taught be a lot about story structure and character building (though a lot of it was already intuitively built into me from reading). So yes I am using a story structure, though I am a little more loose with it. But in my book’s most condensed form, it follows the traditional story structure.

Okay, I’ll look into character castles. Thanks for the tip. :p

What is your outlining process?

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@noah-cochran Hello, Professer.

Thought I’d jump on and just say hi. I am Gracie, fantasy writer, farm girl, and huge fan of Lord of the Rings. I’m 77k words into my first novel, and it’s going slowly, but I’m hoping to finish the first draft in the next few months.

I’m trying to think of questions nobody else has asked.😁  What is your favorite movie? Mine are the Lord of the Rings trilogy (😉), Beyond the Mask, Cars 3, and the TV series The Chosen (which is too good for words, really).

I have only read one Agatha Christie book (my Dad loves them), which was The Big 4. It was really good, even though mystery isn’t really my thing.

Do you have any pets?

Not all those who wander are lost.

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

Howdy Gracie!

Well miss farm girl, I happen to be a farm boy. 🙂 I raise ducks, meat chickens, and sheep. My sister has a small cat business, so we have both inside and outside casts; which suits me fine since I love cats.

The Chosen is a excellent tv show, I have never been so moved or pulled back into bible times by a film before. We just watch the latest episode last night, and it was amazing as usual. And in all truthfulness, my favorite (or at least in my top 3) movies is the LotR trilogy (so in other words, you have good tastes 🙂 )

What is your outlining process for your books (I am always interested to see what other people’s processes are)?

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@noah-cochran

Hi there!  I’m Lily.  Nice to meet you and welcome to the SE Forum!  I also love medieval/fantasy like Ranger’s Apprentice or The False Prince.  Or Medallion by Dawn L. Watkins.  Have you read any of those? (sorry, I just realized you might have already answered those questions above.)

I’ve also picked up a book by Frances Gies (and his wife).  It’s about women during the medieval period, but I have yet to start reading it.  Which of his/their books are your favorite?

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@noah-cochran Professer, sir, I am delighted to meet you. And I am doubly delighted that you live on a farm and love cats…considering the fact that I have 10 at the moment (outside) and also convinced my parents to adopt a blind one for inside.😁  We don’t have sheep, just a few cows, pigs, and rabbits. I wish we had chickens…how many are you raising?

Please don’t spoil the Chosen episode for me, we’re watching it tonight.😆  And yes, it takes the Bible to a whole new level…so much so that my sisters keep having to remind me that “it’s just the actors” and not the real thing.

No, sir, you have good tastes if you like LoTR. Who is your favorite character? I choose to be controversial by holding to the (true) fact that Frodo is the best character of the trilogy and always will be. Have you watched the Hobbit? If so, what did you think?

My outlining process is rather chaotic.😂  I’m a total panster, so I usually go with whatever feels “right” in the moment…although lately I’ve been putting more effort into mapping out my plot points (in my head, at least) and planning character development before it happens. What about you?

Not all those who wander are lost.

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

Hey Lily!

Yes I have read some of the Ranger’s Apprentice books. I have also read The False Prince which I greatly enjoyed.

That’s a interesting coincidence Lily, I am currently reading Gies’s book on medieval women. 🙂 The best three are the Life in the Medieval Castle(1), Village(2), and Town (3). They give a great insight into life in that time period, which if very helpful for medieval historical fiction or fantasy authors.

@Gracie

You took that professor thing quite seriously didn’t you miss farm girl. :p

I have around 30, so not very many, I’m a small scale farmer. My younger brother raises laying hens for our parents. How many acres do y’all raise animals on? We recently got two cows, and they had the brilliant idea to swim straight across the middle of our pond to a pasture they weren’t supposed to be in. So yeah, it went well. It was interesting to watch though xD The more cats the better. 🙂

I won’t, I won’t, enjoy the episode. 🙂

Good for you for being different and not going along with everyone else, my cliche self included, and claiming Aragon as their favorite (Gandalf is nearly my favorite though). I know a lot of people don’t like the Hobbit trilogy, but I actually really enjoyed it. There was some lazy animation and a few scenes I greatly disliked, but overall it was good.

Well, coming from a guy who started writing less than a month ago, I wouldn’t consider my outlining process to be anything worth taking notice of. xD But the way I’m doing it for now first making character profiles; then listing my chapters with a short summary for each chapter; then outlining the characters arcs through a list of chronological events; then fitting the story into the story structure system (in a loose manner). I also make small outlines for miscellaneous things such as the villains plan, character’s relationships, and major scene descriptions.

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@noah-cochran

Haha!  That is a funny coincidence.  Oh yeah, I have seen those books!  They look super interesting; I’ll have to go back to the used book store to see if they have the others!

“My younger brother raises laying hens for our parents…. We recently got two cows, and they had the brilliant idea to swim straight across the middle of our pond to a pasture they weren’t supposed to be in. So yeah, it went well. It was interesting to watch though xD”

My family used to raise laying hens too!  What breed does your brother raise?  We used to do Buff Orpingtons (and a red-brown crossbreed to which I forgot their name *lol*)

If you don’t mind me asking, what’re your cows names?  (that’s funny that they swam across the pond to get to ‘greener’ pastures.)

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@imwritehere

We have several breeds, including buff Orpingtons and Rhode Island Reds.

Ya know, I have no idea what are cow’s names are. But considering they are going to turn into hamburger and I will end up grilling for our dinner, that’s probably a good thing. xD

Brian Stansell
    @obrian-of-the-surface-world

@noah-cochran

Hi Noah,

You have probably already guessed that you have come to the “write” place. 🙂

There are great and talented people here and we love reading and sharing thoughts and bouncing ideas!

My name is Brian, but my call sign on here is “obrian-of-the-surface -world” (long story).

I too am a big fan of Sherlock Holmes (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) stories as well as those by Agatha Christie.  I love a good mystery.  Am a big fan of the old Colombo TV movies with Peter Falk.

Have you ever read any of Steve Berry’s novels with historical mystery twists?

I even have a book purporting to be “The Lost Adventures of Sherlock Holmes” by Ken Greenwald which was based on the original Radio Plays by Denis Green & Anthony Boucher.   It’s pretty good and seems faithful to the original characters created by Doyle.
    I am curious to know what you think of the Sherlock Holmes movies with Robert Downey Jr. playing the titular character.  Thoughts?

My WIP is a fantasy novel that includes a few biblical mysteries in it.  Check out biblical scholar Dr. Chuck Missler’s “Cosmic Codes” if you can.  He unpacks many fascinating biblical mysteries in it that give a glimpse of the Mastery of Our Creator.  Chapter 5 of that book will blow your mind at how God encoded his plan of salvation within the meaning of the male names from Adam through Noah as listed in order in Genesis Chapter 5.

So check us out. Try out the Forums and Groups. Find one or several that your interested in.  There are many to choose from.
    Many of us have eclectic tastes so you will see many of the greeters here in more than one group.
    Feel free to jump into a discussion or take one of the Topic challenges.
    (Psst! I just recently started one called “Audio Cinema”… if you have a flare for the dramatic and would like to hear some of our work read/performed and read one of your own scenes from a WIP by creating a shareable MP3 files and dropping in the link.) [Sorry for the shameless plug… 😉 ]

Many of us have Author sites, so check out some of our profiles to see what we’re up to behind the “Curtain of Oz The Great and Powerful!….” [sorry…got carried away for a wee bit there…]

Wishing you much blessing!

Welcome, welcome.

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
    I was born in war.
    Fighting from my first breath.

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@imwritehere  Ya know, I have no idea what are cow’s names are. But considering they are going to turn into hamburger and I will end up grilling for our dinner, that’s probably a good thing. xD

@noah-cochran

Haha!  Yeah, that probably is a good thing!

@obrian-of-the-surface-world

Hi!  Sorry for just jumping in here like this, but your audio cinema challenge sounds really interesting.  Where can we find the Topic Challenges?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest