fb

How to write modern magic?

Forums Fiction Characters How to write modern magic?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Knowledgeful Butterfly
    @e_elaine_soup5

I have a story about a girl who lives in modern America, but has a family of Power Holders (magic folk). She’s been training to be a Sorceress since she was born and is crazy strong, already checking out a few things for the Circle (the magic government). She has a power channeler, or relic, that has been envied throughout the ages and many bad people want to take it from her, though it cannot be taken from her body. A new boy in the school is a Wix (a magical warrior) and was sent by the Circle to protect her.

There’s a lot of spells and things in this story and I want to make it interesting, having different hand symbols and symbols in the air, but I have not idea how to execute it. I’ve given everyone a color and description of magic (ie. light green and spitting sparks) but how do I constantly speak of the magic in the story?

i could've gone outside to take a walk, but i know that i wouldn't've come back

Elizabeth
    @elizabeth

Well, I guess it all depends on whether or not people fight with your magic. Is it more of a long-distance type power or is it better used for hand-to-hand combat? Sometimes it’s easiest to consult movies or tv shows that emulate the same type of style you’re looking for–Harry Potter comes to mind for this–just to give you an idea of what your style might look like.

As for making things interesting, I’d say the easiest thing would be to make sure that everyone’s fighting style varies a bit. It sounds like you’re already doing that, but don’t be afraid to try new things to see what fits each character best!

INTP. Writer of fantasy and sci-fi. Wannabe artist. Anime geek. Merakian.

Knowledgeful Butterfly
    @e_elaine_soup5

there are no wands to this magic, though, most if it is done through relics. and the main character, Calexia, has a coin for a relic. Some have swords and others, the boy, have less lethal relics (aka, a bow staff). Calexia can have offensive spells, but she mainly uses defensive. I’ve figured out her magic, but the boy, Colorado, has a bow staff and I have no idea how to give him magic.

Elizabeth
    @elizabeth

Ah, gotcha. Well, not all magic has to use wands. I know I mentioned Harry Potter, but seeing as how your WIP isn’t Harry Potter, you can do whatever you want.

ooh, a coin sounds cool. Maybe the bowstaff could be…I dunno, twirled around or something, make a sort of shield?

Knowledgeful Butterfly
    @e_elaine_soup5

that sounds good, I also thought of letting him do hand symbols as well, to give a certain property to the staff, such as electricity.

Elizabeth
    @elizabeth

sounds cool! Good luck!

Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

What kind of magic are we looking at here?

*Forum Signature here*

Knowledgeful Butterfly
    @e_elaine_soup5

the magic can be incantations or hand symbols, but all have little symbols that show in the air. bigger spells (ie. capturement, breakaway, and expulsion) require written symbols and/or a large drawing on the ground. (its like a mixture of Naruto and Full Metal Alchemist)

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

My characters who have powers, (most of them anyway), all follow a specific ‘path’ and their powers go with the path.

Path of the phoenix = fire powers

Path of the unicorn = healing/mind powers

Path of the wolf = enhanced senses and stuff

_______

*shrugs* You could do something like that maybe. I’m not entirely sure what kind of advice you’re asking for.

"You can dance with my henchman."

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest