How to become an editor

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions How to become an editor

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Brianna Storm Hilvety
    @briannastorm

@holly-anne I’d recommend editing for free for a few years prior to launching a business and charging for your services. That will give you a chance to gain experience and perhaps gather testimonials. 🙂

I’ve noticed, though, that numerous young writers want to become editors, but it’s not an easy field to break into or survive in. You have to be fully committed to it or you’re liable to quit when you encounter cantankerous clients and periods where work is scarce. If the only (or main) reason you’re pursuing editing is because it’s a way to earn money on the side (but writing—or something else—is really your passion), you may end up frustrated and disappointed. You need to have a heart for helping authors improve their stories so that they can better impact readers.

Wielder of a Red Pen | TheLiteraryCrusader.

Holly Anne
    @holly-anne

@briannastorm

Ok, yes, that’s what I thought 🙂

I do partially want to do it for the income aspect however, that is fairly low down on the list. I actually prefer editing/critiquing to writing my own novels, so I would want to do it regardless of the money. I do have another thing I’m doing (music and composing) but I do that from home, and it is definitely not full-time (more like a day or two per week). I would love to have something to do with writing that I can do part-time, such as editing.

Another question: is professional, legitimate editing something you could do as a part-time job? Or is it so full-on and hectic that you could only do, for example, composition or editing?

I really appreciate you taking the time to talk to us ‘newbies’ about this!!!

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger darling" (Inception)
      Composer, Writer, Sarcastic 😉

Brianna Storm Hilvety
      @briannastorm

@holly-anne

Ahh, you sound like me. When I discovered that I enjoyed editing more than writing, that was when I knew I needed to switch career paths. 😉

As a freelancer, you can control how many projects you take in, so you can definitely limit yourself to part-time hours. Even if you hope to work for a publisher, you could look for either a part-time or remote role (where you edit from home and set your own hours). When you’re starting out, your client stream will be sporadic, so that would be a good time to figure out how to best balance your two interests. Editors work at different speeds, and some can juggle more projects at once than others. You’ll probably need to experiment to find your sweet spot.

And I’m glad to help! Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

Holly Anne
      @holly-anne

@briannastorm

Yes, actually when I saw that you said you had swapped a black pen for a red one, I was really encouraged because I always just presumed that it’s so much better to write your own books. So yes, I thought it was really neat about that 🙂 I always start writing really ‘cool’ stories and then end up ditching them because my brain is so full of so many other ideas lol. I definitely prefer editing 🙂 Ok, that’s cool about doing it free-lance. I have always loved the idea of being an editor!

Well, I really appreciate your help 🙂 I will!!

Brianna Storm Hilvety
        @briannastorm

@holly-anne

Awww, I had no idea that my bio could encourage someone! ☺️ Editing is definitely a worthy calling, and I wish you well at it.

Holly Anne
        @holly-anne

@briannastorm

🙂 Thanks heaps 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest