How to avoid pre-writing-burnout

Forums Fiction Plotting How to avoid pre-writing-burnout

This topic contains 17 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Bekah 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@evelyn

Eyyy! Twins! 😉

Haha!😆 Well if I wanted to be anybody’s twin, I would want to be yours…

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Maddie Morrow
    @maddiejay

I used to be a complete pantser. Now I plot, but I say that very loosely. When I started plotting I also burned myself out and did zero actual writing. Since then I’ve learned less is more.

I write a very vague list of what needs to happen in the story. I don’t worry about working out every single plot hole to start out. Usually by the time I get to that point in the story, what I’ve weitten has already worked it out for me.

I do a little bit of planning on my characters. Like, very little.

Megan is a redhead whose mom was a musician who abandoned her, and she can play the violin.

I just try to give myself the loosest idea of what needs to happen and who my people/setting are. That helps me have something to look back at if I get stuck and need to know where to go next, but saves all of the main work for actually getting the thing written, leaving enough blank space and wiggle room for my creativity to keep sparking.

Bekah
    @bekah

@maddiejay That’s essentially what I do as well! Getting to the THE END of any draft feels so great that I can actually see who and what I want to work  with and become excited about revisions. Usually the next draft is a blank page.

Draft 0 is great idea! My first draft usually changes voice styles…first person or third person or whatever. Even names! It’s a hot mess.

I found that using beat sheets or loose plot styles, say one of the Seven Basic Plots, really helps to write any version of a plot and know when to add which conflict, even by page number, so that keeps the creative juices flowing. Or jump ahead to a scene you really want to write. If you’re bored as the writer, the reader might be as well.

mom. writer. always needs coffee.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

Signup Source

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest