fb

How Long Does it Take to Wake Up After Being Knocked Unconscious?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions How Long Does it Take to Wake Up After Being Knocked Unconscious?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    A.N. Parker
    @bigideaskc

Hi, guys! Sorry, I’ve been inactive for a little while. I’m probably going to get back into action, since I can’t join Kingdom Pen, and I have been very interested lately in making my writing better and better. 🙂

So, my question for y’all KeePers/Emberians: How long does it take to wake up after being knocked unconscious (realistically)? In my book, I’m currently working on a chapter where one of the main protagonists, Taryn, just got knocked out in the previous by some New World Corp. officer (a bad guy, basically). Taryn got knocked out in the previous chapter, but in this chapter, I’m wondering as to how long it would take for her to wake up and try to fight (but be unable to). I searched on Reddit, and they said about a minute, and that if it was over a minute, it would cause serious health and brain trauma and problems, etc., but that was if someone got knocked off a horse.

If someone punched you in the face and knocked you out, how long do you think it would be until they wake up? I’m not saying they’ll be perfectly strong and responsive when I mean “wake up”, but at least regain consciousness? Thanks! 😀

Grammar Geek | Steampunk Enthusiast | Published Author | Winged Warrior | Avatar by RedPhoenix15

A.N. Parker
    @bigideaskc

Also, I forgot to ask (and this is a completely different question), but:

In speech, do you use commas or periods? For example:

“This is an example,” example said, “Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.”

OR

“This is an example,” example said. “Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.”

Thanks! (If you guys could answer either one or both, that would be great! 😀 )

Grammar Geek | Steampunk Enthusiast | Published Author | Winged Warrior | Avatar by RedPhoenix15

Samuel
    @samuel

@bigideaskc I think it does take about a minute, and when a person wakes up they are still groggy and suffering from the effects of just having their brain jarred against their skull until it shuts down their consciousness. To do that with just a face blow, however, they would probably have to be struck A) in the bridge of the nose or between the eyes, which would cause severe nerve damage otherwise; B) across the jaw hard enough to rattle their head (push your own jaw with a fist and see where it goes, then imagine that with the force of a law enforcement officer’s full-force punch); or C) in the temple. It would be possible in other places on the head but would require harder amounts of force depending on their position.

I think the last question depends. For example, I believe that

“You know,” said Bob, “this stinks.” Would be correct, but I think this would too:

“You know, this stinks,” said Bob. “We should have been there two days ago.”

It depends on whether or not the dialogue is one sentence or two. “You know, this stinks” is one sentence, so the speaker tag has a comma. “You know, this stinks. We…two days ago” is two sentences split up by the tag, so you use a period. You could also use:

“You know,” said Bob, “this stinks. We should…” Because the dialogue is being separated at a comma. But you have to split it at punctuation. This is wrong:

“You know, this stinks. We should have,” said Bob, “been there two days ago.”

So if you separate it where a comma would be if it were a full sentence, use a comma for the tag. If it’s where a period would go, use a period. Hope that helps!

No one reads these anyway

A.N. Parker
    @bigideaskc

My goodness! Thank you for the detailed (and much appreciated) answer, @samuel! That makes a lot of sense, on both questions. I am so excited! 😀 Thanks for your help!

Samuel
    @samuel

@bigideaskc You’re welcome!

Also, just figured out hitting between the eyes won’t KO, but it will break your knuckles (Unless they are perhaps using a blunt weapon) XD so don’t use that my bad

The jaw is the prime KO spot, hitting one way or the other pulls it back and snaps it back into the temple.

Nauseating, but we’re writers lol

No one reads these anyway

A.N. Parker
    @bigideaskc

@samuel Oh, haha, thank you! 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.