fb

How has the writing community impacted YOU?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions How has the writing community impacted YOU?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

Evening, writers!

For STWC, I thought it would be awesome to share our thoughts and stories about the writing community. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

So this thread is all about spreading positivity and cultivating community. And my question for you is:

Why do you think that community is important and how has it impacted you?

(Also, feel free to tag a few forum members you want to give a shoutout to for how theyโ€™ve helped you in your writing journey. โค๏ธ)

I think dinosaurs are cooler than dragons. ๐Ÿฆ–

Zee
    @zee

Well, I’m pretty new here, so I’m not super familiar with the folks on this forum yet, but I’ve been a member of ChristianWriters.com for over two years now, and they have been incredibly helpful and encouraging to me as I continue my writing journey. In fact, if it weren’t for them, I don’t think I’d have a writing journey. I certainly wouldn’t have published two books…

The big thing, besides all the advice and critiques, was just knowing that people out there somewhere (even people I’d never met) really liked my stories and were looking forward to the next installment. That right there is very encouraging and motivating.

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

@zee Wow, that is amazing! I love hearing peopleโ€™s stories of how others have encouraged and helped them. โ˜บ๏ธ What books have you published and what are they about? ๐Ÿ˜€

Yes! Critiques are awesome, but itโ€™s also great to have people in your corner who love what you write and rave about it. โค๏ธ

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

My local writing group keeps me humble and gives me the frequent opportunity to critique work from people I’m emotionally invested in. I’ve found that regular practice more useful than any craft book.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

@taylorclogston Thatโ€™s the best kind of writing group to have. ๐Ÿ™‚ And working with others is great for growing our writing abilities.

Ella
    @writergirl101

@mariposa

God created us to have community with each other, so when we are cut off from that, we struggle in lots of ways.ย  Good community is so important because it’s what keeps us going.ย  Even if you are strong in the faith, you need other Christians to help you thrive.ย  SE is my first writing group and it’s impacted me so much.ย  Being able to talk with fellow Christian writers is so wonderful.

Thank you for starting this group and connecting hundreds of lives! ๐Ÿค—

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn.

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

@writergirl101 Beautifully said, Ella! โค๏ธ๐Ÿ˜Š And thatโ€™s awesome that SE is your first writing group. How long have you been on the forum? ๐Ÿ™‚

Ella
    @writergirl101

@mariposa

I think I’ve been on here for two months…? ๐Ÿ˜„ย  Quarantine is messing with my brain! ๐Ÿ˜

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn.

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

@writergirl101 Haha! I feel ya. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I sometimes have trouble keeping track of what month it is anymore. ๐Ÿ˜›

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

@mariposa

How has the writing community impacted me… WHERE DO I START?!

This sight, Story Embers, has been such an amazing and important part of my life. I guess it I had to boil it down to a few things, it’d be that there are always people there for you and that they all want you to be better.

I have made so many friends on this sight, (you included!!) and they mean so much to me. To be friend with people all around the world that share a common goal of writing good stories is incredible. Someone is always here to critique and to share and to laugh. No one tears down your stories to criticize, but gives honest advice because they want your story to be better. Being part of a Christian writing community is even better, having people to talk to who share your standards and vision for writing.

The people on here have been for me through tough times and good times and I am so, so grateful I ever stumbled across this crazy corner of the internet.

I'm short, I like words, and I love people.
    No, I didn't draw my profile pic.

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

@anne-of-lothlorien Awwwwww! I love this! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿฅฐโค๏ธ Especially โ€œNo one tears down your stories to criticize, but gives honest advice because they want your story to be better.โ€ That right there is so trueโ€”itโ€™s all about wanting to help otherโ€™s stories shine brighter!

Also, itโ€™s great seeing you back on the forum. โค๏ธ๐Ÿค— I need to get on here more often. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@mariposa I love this thread! ๐Ÿ˜Š

I think the writing community is very important for so many different reasons, but especially because we humans can tend to get so stuck inside our own heads, seeing only one perspective on an issue and we need others to remind us of the truth and to help shift perspectives.

The writing community in general has been an amazing place, but the Story Embers community specifically has really enriched and blessed my writing life. I know that I would not be where I am without the help and encouragement of the people here. I’ve made amazing writing friends, discovered new books and authors, learned different ways of thinking, and been empowered and challenged to create good stories. I love SE. โค๏ธ

Interacting with other bloggers, participating in NaNoWriMo, and writing in contests are some of the experiences that have enriched my life. I’m so glad for the friends I’ve made and the things I’ve learned from being a part of the global community of writers.

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

@eden-anderson Awwwwww! Your story is touching. โค๏ธโ˜บ๏ธ

I love what you said here: โ€œthe writing community is very important for so many different reasons, but especially because we humans can tend to get so stuck inside our own heads, seeing only one perspective on an issue and we need others to remind us of the truth and to help shift perspectives.โ€

That right there. ๐Ÿ˜ Said like a true author. ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿป

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest