fb

How do I put this?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions How do I put this?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Gabrielle Pollack
    @gabriellepollack

As a writer who started young, what @Briannastorm says is 100 percent correct. 😀

I’d recommend anything by K.M. Weiland. Though I haven’t read many of her craft books, her site is gold.

Crafting Dynamic Dialogue from Writer’s Digest is pretty good craft-wise. I’m currently reading through The Emotional Craft of Fiction and am enjoying it.  I’m not sure what your reading preferences are, but both books are written by adults for adults, so there will be cursing and grittier references involved.

Story Craft by  John R. Erickson is great, even if I don’t agree with everything he proposed. The book is more about the writing life and John’s journey as a writer, but moving all the same. I’m reading Storyworld First by Jill Williamson at the moment, as well.

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@briannastorm, Yes! When you say proficient… what do you mean by that?

@morreafirebird
    , Mentoring would be awesome!

@gabriellepollack
    , Thanks! I have saved all of those, and will look into them.

Published author, reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Brianna Storm Hilvety
    @briannastorm

@wordsmith The definition of proficient is “well advanced in an art, occupation, or branch of knowledge.” This doesn’t mean a writer is perfect or that they have no more room to grow, but that they have a solid grasp on fundamental writing principles and techniques, as well as a fair amount of experience (by getting published at various places or winning a contest, for example).

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@briannastorm

That’s very helpful, thank you 🙂

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

I only have a few book recommendations in it at the moment, but I’m building a list of articles, books, courses, and other resources that have helped me. It’s one of the tabs on my web site.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@taylorclogston

Cool! Thank you!

Jane Maree
    @jane-maree

@wordsmith I found that One Year Adventure Novel has great lessons and great practical application too if you want to check it out.

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@jane-maree

Okay! I’ll definitely look into that.

graceabounds2129
    @graceabounds2129

@wordsmith I’ve been wondering just about the same thing, and was about to post a thread of my own when I found this one! Will definitely look into those books… Not sure that I can afford time/money for a course right now, but can read a book as I find the time… Currently trying to prepare to participate in NaNoWriMo, at least to a larger extent than I have in the past… It is so, so great that there are so many resources out there!
    I am currently reading Julia Cameron’s The Artist’s Way. While it is not written from a Christian perspective and thus has some material that perhaps contradicts with our faith, she presents some really interesting and helpful ideas/philosophies about creativity, especially about writing. I would recommend checking that one out. I believe the book & workbook were around $24 on Amazon.

-Lindsey
    2 Corinthians 12:9

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@graceabounds2129

Okay! Right now I’ve collected a few books on the art and a couple novels that I want to read by way of example. I’m also reading Brothers Karamazov in school, and it too is similar to my writing preferences.

On top of that I’ve been buckling down on my WIP so I can work on the outlining and plot before starting the second draft.

graceabounds2129
    @graceabounds2129

@wordsmith

Sounds like a good gameplan 🙂

-Lindsey
    2 Corinthians 12:9

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest