fb

How do I put this?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions How do I put this?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

Okay… I’d like some help.

Over the past two years I have written one novella (of forty one thousand words), eleven-ish short stories, an unfinished novel (or a tragedy short story) which stands at eight thousand words, and have one WIP to be a novel. I have started one or two others, but nothing worth mention.

On top of that I’ve been reading for a long time…

But have never had any curricular or formal training in the craft. I feel confident with my prose, and can usually be helpful in writing discussion, as well as being able to understand, comprehend, and apply, writing critique/advice, but don’t have the vocabularical understanding as would be immensely helpful. All of my training has been self taught, except for basic reading and writing skills along with random questions being answered here and there.

Most of everything I do is by sense, with certain pockets of knowledge to back it up…

I would like to fill in so that I have a whole wall instead of having to rely upon what I’ve seen in example fiction and pieces of advice from here and there.

What would be your suggestions for how to fill that in and expand my training, along with writing?

@daeus-lamb
    @brandon-miller @gabriellepollack @jane-maree 

Published author, reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Parker Hankins
    @parker

I would advise subscribing to lots of good writing blogs, maybe some podcasts. This is what’s really helped me.

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@parker

To a certain degree that would help me… but at the same time I think I’m looking for something different… possibly even paid.

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@wordsmith If you just want to learn the vocabulary of writing, I’d pick up a couple books that cover broad writing topics.

If you want to do some intensive study to grow your writing skill, I could give you a couple recommendations.

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@daeus-lamb

Do you have any recommendations on books?

And as far as intensive study, I’d love to hear what you would recommend.

(and I’d still like to hear from others after this)

Thanks!

Gabrielle Pollack
    @gabriellepollack

If you’re looking for something paid, Josiah has created a bunch of courses on writing through his Ink Slingers academy: https://josiahdegraaf.teachable.com/. I’m not sure when enrolment for the courses are open, but I’ve taken about half of Theme Mastery, and it’s pretty great. 🙂

Other than that, there are good craft books out there you can buy. Writing blogs (Like K. M. Weiland’s), forums, critique groups, and writers conferences are also good sources of knowledge, even if they are not paid. 🙂 I was self-taught as well, so the only courses I can recommend at the moment are Josiah’s. 🙂

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@gabriellepollack

Okay! What books would you commend?

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@wordsmith Yes, Josiah has good courses, especially Theme Mastery.

I also highly recommend my course. 😉 http://www.thescratchingquill.com/the-show-dont-tell-course/

I haven’t read a lot of writing books, but I really like K.M.Weiland’s Story Structure and Creating Character ArcsCharacter and POV  by Orison Scott Card is pretty good too. Our resources section (see the nav bar) has a list of top recommended books.

I think the best way to learn to write is through private coaching, and it may be expensive but it doesn’t have to be too expensive. Josiah, Brianna, and Hope were offering coaching at one point — not sure if they still do. The Young Writer is offering it, but I don’t know if you have to be part of their membership program in order to apply or not. If you go this route, just make sure your teacher is really good and knows how to teach.

I also recommend doing some in-depth study on whatever genre you write in.

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@daeus-lamb

Thanks! I’ll look into those.

E. Grace
    @emgc

@wordsmith

Unfortunately, the Young Writer Lessons enrollment just ended and won’t open again till January or February.  If you wanted to wait till then, they only charge $17/lesson once a week.  Here is the link.

I hope you find something that works for you!

"True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less." - C. S. Lewis

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@emgc

Okay! Thank you.

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@wordsmith

Hey, great question…I totally understand where your coming from. You feel like you need a better, more solid foundation in writing but you don’t know where to look or where to turn and the choices are overwhelming. (That’s how I feel anyway. 😀)

I’d like to suggest The Great Courses lecture –Writing Great Fiction: Storytelling Tips and Techniques.

This is an amazing course and if you don’t mind spending some money, I don’t think you will regret buying this course.

Here’s a short Course description:

…”in this course of 24 lectures, a professional novelist will guide you through a survey of the most important concepts and techniques behind the creation of contemporary prose fiction, using examples from a wide range of classic novels and stories, as well as some demonstrations of his own process. By taking you step by step through such topics as creating characters, composing dialogue, crafting plots, and using different points of view, this course will help you get that book out of your head and heart and into the hands of readers.”

I’ve gone through this course twice and I have found it incredibly helpful and enjoyable. I highly recommend it.

The Great Courses offers their courses through their website, App Store, Google Play, Kindle fire, and Amazon.

Here’s the link to their website

https://.thegreatcourses.com

Even if this isn’t what you think your looking for or your just not interested I would still encourage you to check it out.

Hope this helps! 😀

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@eden-anderson

Will do! Paid course are definitely an option.

Brianna Storm Hilvety
    @briannastorm

@wordsmith

I will echo what the others have said about reading craft books and blogs in addition to taking courses. However, I will add that the desire to grow as a writer is first and foremost a mentality. And the biggest step toward developing this mentality is to realize the limits of your knowledge and skills. If you’re overconfident, improvement will take ten times longer. Tune your ear to the writers who have more experience than you and listen to learn rather than responding with your own opinions.

From what I’ve seen as a professional editor and a staffer for KP and SE, most writers who begin as teens don’t become proficient until at least 18—and more often not until their twenties. This is because extensive practice chisels away rough edges, and maturity in life (and faith) underlines a writer’s abilities. So, work hard, but be patient with your progress and humble in your interactions with fellow writers. 🙂

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@wordsmith

Besides what’s said here, I’d suggest getting a mentor or writing coach. The Young Writer Lessons did just close, but I know that @hope-ann offers mentoring as well. I would highly recommend her.

~ Khylie
    "Beauty will save the world." - Dostoevsky

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest