fb

How close can you make character’s name to another?

Forums Fiction Characters How close can you make character’s name to another?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Urwen Starial
    @urwen-starial

So,… If I had inspiration and wrote a character’s name, then found out that it was already a name in a different series/book could I still use it?

What if I saw a name somewhere but changed only a little bit?

I want to respect others and their stories, but I need to know what counts as plagiarism, and what counts as my own inspiration.

“Tears sparkle like fallen stars, the world at our fingertips, We didn’t know, It wasn't happiness.

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@urwen-starial I don’t think simply using a name would count as plagiarism, especially if you originally came up with it yourself! 😉 Now, with that said, if it’s a pretty unique fantasy name (like, not a “regular” name like John or Mary or something), people who have seen it elsewhere would probably notice. At that point, your main concern would be whether you want to avoid that more than you want to keep the name. It’s definitely difficult if you realize your name has already been used after you’ve gotten used to using it for your character (wow, I just used the word “used” a lot there)!

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@urwen-starial

It’s not plagiarism at all! You came up with it on your own and have zero intention of copying the already published character that it also belongs to. Like @naiya-dyani said, if it’s a rarely used name then people will probably think of the other character, so it really just depends on whether or not you want to have that connection. If the personalities are pretty similar, then I, personally, would suggest you didn’t use that name, just because you don’t want anyone accusing you of plagiarism. But if they’re not that similar, then I’d go right ahead.

"You can dance with my henchman."

Urwen Starial
    @urwen-starial

@kari-karast, @naiya-dyani

Thank you guys! I feel so much better about this now!

“Tears sparkle like fallen stars, the world at our fingertips, We didn’t know, It wasn't happiness.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest