Hi there!

This topic contains 35 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Hope McClellan 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@hope-mcclellan I write mostly poetry and fantasy and contemporary fiction.

That’s amazing! I love worldbuilding. Its a lot of fun. πŸ™‚

Leon Fleming
    @w-o-holmes

@evelyn

Wait, and I haven’t met you before? :O

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

@hope-mcclellan Mmm; I do that a fair bit in my book (set in airborne islands populated by winged people), but I’m guessing you’re referring to published works here. πŸ˜‰ I tend to really like Brandon Sanderson’s approach to worldbuilding, and he focuses on realistic details probably the most in his Stormlight Archive series (though I wouldn’t recommend that series first due to its length). Some other (more normal-sized) works that I’ve seen do this well would be Silhouette by Dave Swavely (though this is sci-fi), and The Curse of Chalion (though it’s rather sparse on unique fantasy elements for a fantasy novel).

If you’re looking for more C.S. Lewis novels, Till We Have FacesΒ is one of my favorite works of fiction by him, and I’d definitely recommend it if you get the chance!

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@w-o-holmes We have met before. Just not officially. πŸ˜‚

Hi! Nice to meet you! I’m Evelyn. Can I just call you Holmes for short? Or maybe Norfleet? 😜

Leon Fleming
    @w-o-holmes

@evelyn

Hi yourself! Same to you! You can call me Norfleet or William or Will, but please, please don’t call me Bill.

So you like world-building and poetry, huh? That’s right up my alley! Let us talk.

What say I post an open discussion on the basics and later depths of world building on the Fiction<Research and Worldbuilding tab? In all aspects.

What kind(s) of poetry do you write?

Hope McClellan
    @hope-mcclellan

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer

I have heard of both of those artists! I know it’s sort of an “oldie”, but I love Chris Tomlin’s ‘I Will Follow’. And Austin French’s ‘Born Again’ is amazing! I’ve only heard the two songs of his they’ve had rotating on the radio, but I would love to look into him some. So far I really enjoy his style.

That’s neat! I play a little bit of piano, and I think the violin is beautiful. I also love the flute and harp.

There's always a story brewing.

Hope McClellan
      @hope-mcclellan

@josiah

Ooh, your book sounds neat! I would definitely be interested in reading it if ever you publish it. πŸ™‚ And thank you for all of the recommendations!

Josiah DeGraaf
        @josiah

@hope-mcclellan You’re quite welcome!

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Emberynus The Dragonslayer

@hope-mcclellan

‘I will Follow’ is actually one of my favorite Chris Tomlin songs. We have like his first album so yeah πŸ˜†

Yep! Born again is a good one!

You can't live for long living for nothing-Hector Griffin

Hope McClellan
        @hope-mcclellan

That’s neat! Hey, just curious, what kind of stuff do you like to write?

Emberynus The Dragonslayer

@hope-mcclellan I don’t write anything that isn’t Christian. Mostly I write Contemporary. Some Historical Fiction. I like to write Romance/Mystery, Allegory, and stuff like that

You can't live for long living for nothing-Hector Griffin

Hope McClellan
          @hope-mcclellan

That’s neat! Do you have something you’re currently working on? Or do you have a favorite story you’ve done in the past? What’s it/they about?

Leon Fleming
            @w-o-holmes

@hope-mcclellan

Have you applied for a guild yet? Not like you’d get in anytime soon. They usually – from what I’ve heard – let the people in at the beginning of the/a month(s).

Hope McClellan
            @hope-mcclellan

@w-o-holmes

No I have not applied for a guild. I just started a full-time job, so I’m not sure I have the time commitment to be able to regularly interact and post. Juggling teenage life, writing, and work is enough for the time being. ^_^ Maybe once I get into a regular pattern and have some more free time I can reconsider joining a guild.

Although, maybe you could give me some more insight as to what it’s like to be part of a guild? All I know is what I’ve read from the emails. I’m not entirely sure how much commitment is needed and, well, anything detailed about what takes place in the guilds vs. the forum. Any information would be helpful, honestly!

Leon Fleming
              @w-o-holmes

@hope-mcclellan

Alright. Uhm, let’s see. So each guild is basically like the Inklings. You receive encouragement, get critiques and other stuff. Uhh, you can go to where you are looking at all the guilds and pick any guild. Then scroll down to the thing that says HOW TO JOIN A GUILD (click it and scroll down to the sub-section titled HOW THE GUILDS WORK) and stuff will come up telling about what happens within them and things like that. It’s pretty tight-nit, as they say, and discussions usually pop up. There’s also usually a weekly theme discussion. Plus other things. It’ll help you grow as a writer and give you ideas, skills (not like Napoleon[actually, why not?]), and other things to better equip you as a writer and future author (of hopeful standards). Umm, I’m pretty sure that you have to participate at least once a week. Any questions?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  Leon Fleming.
            Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest