Hi there!

This topic contains 29 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  William Norfleet 3 days, 17 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Hope McClellan
    @hope-mcclellan

Hiya! This is my first time being a part of any sort of online community, so I am excited to be a part of the forum here at Story Embers. (Also, excuse me while I figure out how all this works. :)..)

My pen name is Hope McClellan, and I am a senior in high school. I started writing somewhere between the ages of six and eight, but my writing started to really level out around age eleven or twelve. The past few years I have gotten serious about my writing, and the more I do it, the more it becomes part of who God made me to be. I love the Lord with all of my heart, and I cannot wait to see how he continues to grow me as a young woman and a writer.

But besides being a born-again believer and a writer, I am an INFJ who loves candles, reading, sunshine, mornings, nature, oddly-shaped salt and pepper shakers, the color yellow, music, and being happy.

I have far too many favorite books, but I a huge Narnia Nerd and I also love the writings of L.M.Montgomery.

Personally, I write fantasy and a lot of historically-based fiction. I wouldn’t call it Historical Fiction, but I have a huge interest in the Middle Ages, and I do a fair amount of research about the daily life of living in that time period. Most of my works are based in that time period, so I try to keep a lot of the aspects of daily living the same. So yeah, historically based fiction. My current WIP is a fantasy novel.

That’s pretty much the basics of me! I can’t wait to meet more Christian writers, plug in, and grow here at Story Embers!

Hope McClellan

There's always a story brewing.

William Norfleet
      @w-o-holmes

Hey, @hope-mcclellan!

Welcome to the Forum and SE and all that other stuff that people say when they are saying hello to somebody for the first time!

I’m a freshman in high school and a Christian, and I love to write fantasy, build fictional worlds, construct languages, write maps, and all that other stuff that goes along with writing fantasy. Along with lots and lots of poetry.

Hiya doing! Do you like to construct languages? How about paint? (Do you like people who send a barrage of questions at you until you feel like hiding in a closet? ‘Cause I’m not one of them). Oh, and do you like sea food? That’s important.

Hope you have a great time on SE!

"Eistret an guol nuurdor ank dohk remna lathlrao."- Uondon of Andim

Hope McClellan
      @hope-mcclellan

I’m doing pretty well! A little sleepy, though. We had a party at my house, and the introvert in me is drained. 😛 How are you? I have to say I have never tried making my own language before. I took four years of American Sign Language and started to write a story about a mute girl who signs. Since it’s a visual language, it is difficult to portray in words. That is the only time I have branched into different languages in my writing. I would be interested in hearing more about your invented languages, though? What does your quote at the bottom mean?

I did go through a bit of a painting phase. I did a couple of adult paint-by-numbers and painted a couple of bird figurines for my father.

And I like some sea food. I am a picky eater (unfortunately), and I’m not all that adventurous when it comes to food.

I have recently (and that means it’s taken me three years) built my own fantasy world. It sounds like you have made several, however. I would be interested in hearing more about them!

Hope

William Norfleet
        @w-o-holmes

@hope-mcclellan

Hey, well that’s great! I’m pretty good. I slept hard last night. Like a rut in the road.

I was inspired by Tolkien’s languages and found them interesting enough to write my own. I like doing it, ya might say. Kinda like a hobby on a hobby. Language on writing. It also really adds depth to my stories.

I have a galaxy-like thing, but I don’t prefer to call it that. There are four worlds. Two are diminished because of past grievances and the other two are flourishing.

Cool, I’ve always wanted to learn French then branch out to older European languages and Greek, but I’ve heard that sign language is pretty great. Does it take you a long time to say a sentence? Or is it pretty short and compact?

That book sounds great!

What’s your fantasy world like? (If you don’t mind me asking)

-If you want to see some examples of three of my languages and one of my maps that’re still being worked on, you can go to Introduce Yourself in the Forum, then on there Hello *shy wave* and skip to the later pages or read it all. I talk a lot about my fantasy worlds a lot there.

My quote means: The winds of all who wander this world are conflicted. It’s in one of the Elvish languages called Lathraen. Of course, here I couldn’t fully represent it so all I did was translate it as best I could to English letters.

That’s better that I did. I tried my hand at watercolor painting and it ended up being called Garbage Art. Let’s just say that painting isn’t one of my strong points. I prefer drawing. My sister and Mom both paint, though, and they’re pretty good at it.

I gotta say I love MOST sea food. Have you tried oysters? Because I did and I ended up just tasting them. I mean, they tasted okay because of the sauce on them, but they theirselves just didn’t really have any flavour. I shall not attempt to describe that experience.

These fantasy worlds are still in the construction, though that’s going pretty well. I started what was then an IT, or idea, about three years ago, too. That was terrible and I regret to say that the main character’s name was James Nixon. I know. It’s thoroughly ughish. You can’t really blame me, though, I was only eleven.

Hope McClellan
        @hope-mcclellan

@w-o-holmes

I like your analogy. Sleeping hard like a rut in the road. I may steal that. 😉

I adored ASL (american sign language). I find it super easy, quick, and easy to comprehend. Some people have a really hard time with the grammar, but like I said, I find it easy to comprehend.

My fantasy world/country is called Tiphereth Erets, which is Hebrew for Beautiful Land. Nature is a huge way that I connect with the Lord, so whenever I would find somewhere beautiful, I would add it into my world. That’s what really started it. There are four “intelligent” species in my world. The catch? No humans. None. Zip. Nada. Absolutely no humans–except maybe possibly Cillian, but he is a strong maybe. The main species are centaurs, fairies, dwarves (yes I spell it that way), and naiads. My naiads are Narnian style, meaning they are 100% water, not flesh and blood. This gives them some unique abilities. Rather than creating languages, my big thing for creating this world is thinking through the daily living style of these species. What do their houses look like and function? Dwarves are short, and Centaurs are so tall. Can Centaurs use stairs? What does the lifestyle of a naiad look like? These questions and more have led to a lot of the minutia that has–I think–added a lot of depth to my world.

Thanks, I think I’ll take a look there!

I have never tried oysters before. I was told they’re slimy, so I didn’t bother.

I think James Nixon is a fine name! His last name is what really makes it memorable. I am going to need a pronunciation guide at the end of my book. XD Names like Kadingauro and Daeldaes and the Chagorah Mountains can really trip people up.

William Norfleet
          @w-o-holmes

@hope-mcclellan

Gee, thanks!

That’s nice.

Same here! That’s what I do! I do something like this for my poetry. My way of going about it is to always glorify God. Both through it and of it. I usually write about nature and use metaphor to show a deeper meaning.

That sounds awesome!! I’ve the centaurs and dwarves, too (I use dwarves, too. Dwarfs just doesn’t bring about the desired effect.) I like the idea of naiads! Although I do have elves (many forms), dwarves, and men, my purpose is to present them as different and unique. Original. No cliches. I can’t stand cliches. Besides these, I’ve also got frae (stand in name), kiriahk, graeths, giants (not developed), trolls (also original), and various forms of nymphs. I love dealing with mythical creatures while adding my own twist to them. Also, in my poetry, I like personifying nature almost to the extent that it becomes like a dryad or naiad or other nymph.

Those are some great questions. Yeah, that would definitely add to the depth. Also things like the types of plants and seasons and things like that. That’s a good idea. Everyday life.

Trust me, they truly are.

It’s like putting a slug that has been left in a puddle for too long into your mouth. It also didn’t help that the thing stuck to the shell. That just made it worse.

Yeah, I know, but *in a cringish way* it really doesn’t correspond with an original fantasy world. It’s like putting hot sauce on ice cream. UUuaahhhgggghhh!

I might, but I’ll have to wait and see.

btw, you’re SE’s newest member! And you get the grand prize! blah, blah, blah…!

Josiah DeGraaf
          @josiah

Welcome to the site, @hope-mcclellan! I really like books that deal with the small minutiae of fantasy worlds and how it would realistically work, so your comments about that and centaurs sounds really interesting! 🙂 Have you read any of Lewis’ other works of fiction, or have you just gone through his Narnia series?

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Evelyn
          @evelyn

@hope-mcclellan Welcome to Story Embers!

I am fluent enough in ASL to carry on a conversation with a toddler about food and toys and weather and school, but that’s about it. 😉 I reeeally love the language though. It’s beautiful!

Also your fantasy world sounds really neat! How long have you been working on it?

Emberynus The Dragonslayer
          @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

@hope-mcclellan

What kind of music do you like?

You can't live for long living for nothing-Hector Griffin

Hope McClellan
          @hope-mcclellan

@w-o-holmes

Thanks! Your fantasy world sounds awesome too! I love the abundance of mythical species. And I feel the same way about cliches. I have been known to break cliches that I didn’t even know were there. I also have been known to use a lot of personification in my writing. I wrote a piece a while ago about the sun setting as a dying king, and night crept in as an enemy coming to take over the land. I’m not at all into poetry, but I am finding it really neat that we have a lot of similarities regardless.

Hope McClellan
            @hope-mcclellan

@josiah

Thank you! Creating these “cultural norms” for my world has been quite fun. I am constantly thinking through how stories and movies are practical and realistic. One of the things that bothers me most is when a character just reaches behind their back and pulls an item–like a book or a map–out of nowhere. I am not sure I have read many other fantasy books that deal with the realistic minutia like this. Do you know a few off the top of your head that you would recommend?

As for C. S. Lewis, I have only ever read his Chronicles of Narnia. I have read a biography about him, but that’s it. I adore his life story and am definitely interested in reading more of his works in the futute!

Hope McClellan
              @hope-mcclellan

@evelyn

That’s neat that you know ASL too! I used to be able to carry on full conversations with deaf individuals, but unfortunately I have gotten rusty. 🙁 I still adore the language though!! And I do hope to write a story (or stories) that accurately and beautifully portray the language. It can be fun to try new things in writing. 😉 What kind of stuff do you write?

Thank you! I spent about two years creating the world and making plotlines, and for the past year I have been writing the first draft on the novel. I have to say that it has been amazing to watch GOD work and put together the pieces for this world and story.

Hope McClellan
                @hope-mcclellan

I listen exclusively to Christian and instrumental music. Natalie Grant, Jamie Grace, Hollyn, Tauren Wells, and Jordan Feliz are big ones for me. And my instrumental playlist is ginormous. I am a huge music lover. Anyone in my family can tell you that I practically live to a soundtrack. But I can’t listen to music while I write. I find it difficult, at least. It’s because I love music so much that I get distracted from my writing to enjoy the beautiful music. Haha!

What kind of music do you like to listen to? Do you play anything or sing?

William Norfleet
                  @w-o-holmes

@hope-mcclellan

That sounds like a really interesting thing to read.

Yeah, same here. Ever since I’ve been on here there seems to be lots and lots of people that I share similarities with. It’s great.

Emberynus The Dragonslayer

@hope-mcclellan I listen to exclusively Christian and instrumental as well. That is our family’s policy. Yeah there are some good ones from all those artists. I like Hollyn a lot. Have you ever heard of Chris Tomlin or Austin French?

I love singing. . . don’t know if my voice is any good, but I sing. I play the piano and want to play violin

You can't live for long living for nothing-Hector Griffin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest