fb

Hi…new girl here. Hehe.

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hi…new girl here. Hehe.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Moonlighting Novelist
    @moonlighting-novelist

@eden-anderson

Yay! So glad to meet a kindred spirit. 🙂

It took me four months to read War and Peace. There are some sections where it’s easy to get bogged down, but majority of the story is really amazing. I have read all but two of Jane Austen’s novels (Sense and Sensibility, and Northanger Abbey) and I’m hoping to get to them this year. Of the ones I’ve read, Pride and Prejudice, Emma, and Persuasion are my favorites. My other favorite book is Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. The Iliad was a little difficult, it reiterates quite a bit, and has a lot of military/war speak, including some lengthy battle descriptions. However, The Odyssey reads more novel-like and is an adventure narrative; it was easier to follow. They aren’t stories I’ll ever read again, but I wanted to experience them. 🙂

I highly recommend the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters. *thumbs up*

A little about my WIP: Set in post Civil War Richmond, VA, the story of the daughter of a former plantation owner unfolds as she discovers love for the first time, but not quite in the way she imagined it.

"There is no charm equal to tenderness of heart."
    -Jane Austen, "Emma"

Moonlighting Novelist
    @moonlighting-novelist

@evelyn

I’m looking forward to reading Wives and Daughters. I haven’t seen the adaptation, but I hope to.

Here’s to good books. I whole heartedly agree. 🙂

I have also enjoyed other genres, including mystery and fantasy. J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle Earth has got to be the most mind blowing fantasy world ever written. Just sayin. 🙂

Poetry is a thing I can very much appreciate, but I cannot write it to save my life. haha. But boy do I love deep, beautiful prose.

-Jane Austen, "Emma"

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@moonlighting-novelist

🤗 Have you checked out the For All the Historical Fictioners thread in the General Forum? It’s a really fun thread…you should check it out!

Wow, four months is a long time to for a book…but I’m assuming that’s how long it’s gonna take me to read Les Mis. 🤦

I’ve read all of Austen’s novel’s except for Mansfield Park and Sense and Sensibility. YES! I love all three of those! ❤️ I have not read Jane Eyre yet, but I’m hoping to read it this year. Do you read Charles Dickens?

Okay, I’ll have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation! 😀

Ooh, fascinating! I love stories from around the Civil War time period! Sounds like an interesting WIP. 😀

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@moonlighting-novelist

Oo, I read Pride and Prejudice for the first time recently, and I like it a lot!

Neat! I started four or five years ago, as well…it seems like a lot of people around here have, lol. 🙂

I so agree with you about mindsets in different eras…I think it is neccessary to understand that in order to write his-fic in a given era…and it is SO much fun! I have studied a LOT of different eras and cultures, countries, etc, and find them all so fascinating. Then the problem is that you want to write a book or two set in all of them!

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

NicoleG
    @nicoleg

@moonlighting-novelist, AHH! I’m SO THRILLED THAT YOU’RE HERE!! *tackle hugs!!*

Yay! I’m excited for you, friend!!! <3 <3 <3 Welcome to Story Embers! 🙂

Part-nerd. Part-artist.

Moonlighting Novelist
    @moonlighting-novelist

@eden-anderson

No, I have not seen the Historical Fictioners thread, but thank you for telling me about it. I can’t wait to check it out!

Don’t get discouraged if it does take you a while to read Les Mis. It’s such a huge book. I hope you do get to read Jane Eyre soon. Jane goes through an amazing personal journey, and her moral compass is steady throughout. I think it’s such a great story. Charles Dickens is also on my list of must reads. I have read A Christmas Carol and Great Expectations. He was certainly an amazing writer.

Thank you for the interest in my WIP. 🙂

I love your signature quote, by the way. He is also on my list to read. 🙂

-Jane Austen, "Emma"

Moonlighting Novelist
    @moonlighting-novelist

@selah-chelyah

I really love Pride and Prejudice because of the wit and humor Jane Austen used in it. I just think it’s an interesting story with funny sarcasm and ends with a sweet romance that two flawed characters deserve to find. 🙂

I think the thing I worry about the most with writing historical fiction is that I won’t do the past justice; that I won’t be able to fully immerse myself to the point that I don’t sound modern in some way. I guess there’s only so much an author can do, given we live here and now and have never experienced life in the way our characters would have. But it really is fun to study these things. Last year I read a book called How To Be A Victorian. It was amazing; the author actually lived out a lot of the daily life things she was writing about. So. Cool.

-Jane Austen, "Emma"

Moonlighting Novelist
    @moonlighting-novelist

@nicoleg

TWIN!! *jumps up and down* So glad to see you!! 😀

I LOVE it here! Thank you so much for telling me about this place, it really is amazing. I’ve had the BEST time talking with everyone. *hearts*

-Jane Austen, "Emma"

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@moonlighting-novelist

Of course! You really should check it out…it’s a lovely place. 😄

Yes, I’ve heard such good things about Jane Eyre and I really want to read it soon. I love both those Dicken’s books…although my siblings say I’m weird for liking Great Expectations. 😛 When you start reading more of Dickens, make sure you read David Copperfield. It’s soooo good! (But that’s just my personal opinion, so do whatever you want.😉) I’ve heard that Little Dorrit is really good too…but unfortunately, I haven’t read it yet.

How far are you along in your WIP? Have you been working on it for a long time?

Yeah, I love that quote so much, but *cough* the embarrassing thing is that I’ve never actually read any of Fyodor Dostoyevsky works yet. 🤦

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@moonlighting-novelist

Yes, I agree…that is why I like that book so much, too. It is outside the box of most “romances” set in that era, and I love that!

So true! I am always trying to immerse myself as much as I possibly can in a given era for writing…it takes a lot of work, but it is so worth it! 🙂

~ Created to create ~

Moonlighting Novelist
    @moonlighting-novelist

@eden-anderson

Definitely read Jane Eyre! Great Expectations was good, but there were a few spots that were slow and a little confusing to me. But I loved the way Pip learned from his mistakes and ultimately learned what’s important in life. I definitely want to read David Copperfield. I always enjoy getting book recommendations, so thank you! 🙂

My WIP… I started writing it in 2014 and finished a complete first draft in about a year. Since then I have been “studying” to make my writing better and researching historical info to incorporate into my story. Then I went through a big move and started working more hours and unfortunately my story fell to the wayside. Thus, I am still working on my edits and rewrites. I want to write more novels and have an idea for one I’m excited about starting on. But I need to finish this one first. I posted my first draft to Wattpad and plan to repost the story once my edits are complete.

Don’t be embarrassed that you haven’t read any Dostoyevsky yet but admire the quote. That’s okay. 🙂 I haven’t read any of his works yet, either, but I want to.

-Jane Austen, "Emma"

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@moonlighting-novelist

Okay, I’ll put Jane Eyre on my already massive TBR. *watches mournfully as afore mentioned list stretches out to infinity* Ahh, the struggles of being a book worm. 😉

Yeah, Dickens can be a little confusing sometimes but his amazing characters and his engaging prose always makes up for it, at least in my personal experience. 😀 Of course, glad I could recommend it!

Oh, wow, your WIP has been through a lot. I understand…my WIP is coming along rather slowly as well. I’ve had lots of false starts and stops. But I’m happy to say that it’s finally coming together a little bit. 🙂 (And I have that same problem with writing a novel and wanting to write like three others at the same time…it can be frustrating sometimes. 🙃)

Yeah, I want to read Crime and Punishment. I’m not that familiar with his works, but I do know of that one. Oh and the Brothers Karamazov.

Moonlighting Novelist
    @moonlighting-novelist

@eden-anderson

“*watches mournfully as afore mentioned list stretches out to infinity* Ahh, the struggles of being a book worm.”

Yes!! I feel your pain… :’D

Keep at your WIP…you’ll get there. The thing I struggle with the most is perfectionism. I always think I can do this or that better. I hope I can be realistic and put that aside when it comes to reaching a finished product I’m proud of.  And I’ve found when I have ideas come to me for the next project, I have to just jot them down and return to the one I’m working on. I don’t want to get caught up in starting the next one and forget about the unfinished work. I’m pretty task oriented and want to finish what I’ve started before moving on to something else. 😀

Yes, I want to read Crime and Punishment, too!

-Jane Austen, "Emma"

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@moonlighting-novelist

Wow, but I understand what you are saying about writing! 😀 I am the same way…perfectionist, and have to remind myself to just work on what I have going and finish it, then do the next idea. (I have over 20 WIP’s, which does not help, lol!) But that is the only way I can function.

~ Created to create ~

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@moonlighting-novelist

Keep at your WIP…you’ll get there. The thing I struggle with the most is perfectionism. I always think I can do this or that better. I hope I can be realistic and put that aside when it comes to reaching a finished product I’m proud of.

Aghh! Yes, that’s exactly how I am! Perfectionism has almost killed my writing over the past few years, but slowly, very slowly, I’m learning how to ignore the critic in my head and just focus on writing.

That’s awesome that you are task oriented, because I am not. And sometimes I wish I was. I have like five projects going on currently and five hundred more racing around my head from dawn till dusk and I about drive myself crazy. 😧 It can be really frustrating and exhausting. Ah well, at least than I never run out of ideas! (let’s be optimistic here, shall we? 😉)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest