Hi…new girl here. Hehe.

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hi…new girl here. Hehe.

This topic contains 34 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Selah 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Moonlighting Novelist
    @moonlighting-novelist

*waves shyly*

Hello, new friends…nice to meet you!

So, a little about me:

Jesus girl. Avid time traveler. Hopeless romantic. Book Nerd. Awkward introvert. ISFJ. Very partial to anything purple. 🙂

I work as a veterinary technician and moonlight as an aspiring novelist. I’m excited to join this community and make some new friends who happen to love reading and writing like I do. I love that there’s a place to meet and support people who have similar interests and dreams.

I’m a history geek and LOVE the nineteenth century, especially Civil War era, but anything before 1930 is game for me.

Lately, I’m reading classics just as fast as I can get my hands on them…some of my favorites: anything Jane Austen, Jane Eyre, Anna Karenina, North and South, War and Peace.

Romantic, inspiring stories in the historical fiction genre are my thing. I love how stories can take me to places I’ve never been and can never go. I like walking in someone else’s shoes in heart and mind, if not in body.

I’m currently editing my first draft of my very first novel, and I’ve learned so much. I want to learn so much more.

I was introduced to Story Embers by my sweet friend @nicoleg, and I’m so thrilled to be here!

"There is no charm equal to tenderness of heart."
    -Jane Austen, "Emma"

S.F. Dekreel
    @dekreel

@moonlighting-novelist  Welcome to Story Embers!! Nice name. 😀

Have you ever read Frankenstein by Mary Shelley? It’s one of my favorites, and I’m thinking you might like it. . .

ENFP-T. Cartoonist, "half-writer", wolfish.
    Blog

Moonlighting Novelist
    @moonlighting-novelist

@dekreel Thank you very much! 🙂

I have not read Frankenstein, but it is on my to-read list, and I am very interested…

I actually just finished reading The Iliad and The Odyssey by Homer. Very different from the 19th century literature I generally read, but enjoyable nonetheless. There are still so many on the list, though…

-Jane Austen, "Emma"

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@moonlighting-novelist Hi! And welcome to Story Embers! 🙂

I love the book North and South! Have you seen the BBC adaption? Have you read any other books by Elizabeth Gaskell?

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@moonlighting-novelist

Hi! Welcome to Story Embers!😁

Yay for history lovers! I love history too…and yes, the Civil War was a really fascinating time! Do you enjoy historical nonfiction, or do you mainly just read his-fic?

YES! Classics are the best! I am currently reading Les Mis…it’s slightly daunting, to say the least. 😉 What classic are you currently reading?

@evelyn

Aghh, the BBC adaption of North and South is SO perfect!!! 😁I love it so much…isn’t Richard Armitage perfect for Mr. Thornton?!

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@moonlighting-novelist Another his-fic writer!!  I am writing a book set in the American west during the Civil War, 1860-1863 or 64 (not quite sure yet).  How old are you?  I’m sixteen, and ENFJ.

"In a mask, was he?"

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@eden-anderson Yes!! 😊😊

Moonlighting Novelist
    @moonlighting-novelist

@evelyn

Thank you, and nice to meet you!!

Yes, North and South is a great book! I have seen the BBC adaptation, and really loved it, even if they did change the ending quite a bit. 😉 I think Mr. Thornton and Margaret were perfectly cast. I have also read Mary Barton, which was not as good in my opinion, and plan to read Cranford and Wives <i>and Daughters </i>as well.

What do you like to read?

-Jane Austen, "Emma"

Moonlighting Novelist
    @moonlighting-novelist

@eden-anderson

Thanks and hello, Eden!

I love meeting fellow history lovers! 🙂 I read both historical nonfiction and fiction. I love nonfiction because I’m so curious about how life has been for people in the past and I want to know what things were like at a given time.

Classics are my favorite, for sure. I’ve not read Les Mis, but it’s on my list. Daunting, I’m sure…I don’t think I’ve seen a thicker book, other than maybe War and Peace. 😀

I just finished The Iliad and The Odyssey, but I’m currently taking a break from classics to re-read a beloved series by Elizabeth Peters. She recently passed away, and I just got her final book, so I’m reading through a second time so I can plug the new book into the timeline. It’s the Amelia Peabody series; a mystery series about an English archeological family in the late 1800s-early 1900s as they travel to Egypt regularly to excavate.

I’m also about to dive into a nonfiction book about Victorian America and the Civil War, which I hope will aid me in the research I need for editing my WIP.

-Jane Austen, "Emma"

Selah
    @selah-chelyah

@moonlighting-novelist

Nice meet you…again! 🙂  It is rare to have a fellow his-fic writer join. Have you read/studied much in other eras, or just the 1900’s? Have you read Les Miserables?

How did you meet Nicole, or how long have you known eachother? That is so neat! 😀

I am an ESFJ…with a mix of introvert sometimes. Seems like everyone on here is an I/ENFP, lol!

~ 'Every Christian is either a missionary or an impostor.' C.H. Spurgeon ~

Moonlighting Novelist
    @moonlighting-novelist

@ashira

Hi Ariel!

Glad to know you’re also a historical fiction writer! The American West in the mid 1800s is a very interesting time period. That’s a great setting! My current WIP is set in the post Civil War South, which has been a bit more challenging than I realized historically and emotionally. After the first draft, I realized it feels a bit too English, probably due to my reading many English classics while writing… Haha 😀

Let’s just say I’m a 30-ish ISFJ. lol :joy:

-Jane Austen, "Emma"

Selah
    @selah-chelyah

@moonlighting-novelist

Mm, that makes sense! Have you ever read any of G. A. Henty’s books? He is an Englishman, but he wrote an amazing + accurate + extremely interesting story set in the Civil War era. It is rather from both south and north perspectives…really neat! It’s called “With Lee in Virginia”.

~ 'Every Christian is either a missionary or an impostor.' C.H. Spurgeon ~

Moonlighting Novelist
    @moonlighting-novelist

@selah-chelyah

Hi, nice to meet you as well! 🙂

Yes, it seems hard to find fellow historical fiction writers. 🙂 I’ve been writing on and off most of my life, but I first made a real attempt at writing a complete novel about 5 years ago. I met Nicole on wattpad around that time. We became fast friends. 🙂 I managed to finish a first draft within about a year, but since then I’ve been working on perfecting that.

Which leads me to…the majority of my interest/study is in the 1800s. I wrote my book without a lot of planning or research, because I was learning as much as I could as I went. Unfortunately, that left me with quite a bit of research to do, both historical and on story structure. Thus, I have quite a bit of reconstructing to do on my story.

I have not read Les Mis, but it is on my list. I haven’t read G.A. Henty’s books, but they sound very interesting. Thank you for telling me about that one; I will look it up. 🙂

I probably match ISFJ at least 98%. One of my dearest, closest friends is an ESFJ and we have a lot in common; I’m just quieter. lol 😀

-Jane Austen, "Emma"

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@moonlighting-novelist

I love nonfiction because I’m so curious about how life has been for people in the past and I want to know what things were like at a given time.

YASSS! Exactly! 😄 I especially love learning about the type of mindsets people had in earlier centuries…it’s so fascinating!

Yeah, War and Peace, looks…intense. 😉 How long did it take you to read it? You said you like Jane Austen, have you read all her works? You read The Iliad and The Odyssey? Oh, wow, that’s cool! Were they difficult to read?

I’ve never heard of the Amelia Peabody series, but it sounds amazing.

What’s your WIP about? (If I may be nosey and ask…😛)

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@moonlighting-novelist Ah, yes the ending was a bit different wasn’t it haha.

I really liked Wives and Daughters. (The BBC adaption too! And I loved how they ended it! Just so perfect.)

Basically I like to read good books. I lean more towards Fantasy and Historical Fiction, but I have enjoyed a lot of other kinds of books too. So yeah. Good books. 😉

Oh! And poetry. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

Signup Source

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest