fb

Hi, I'm new!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Catherine Roche
    @writercatherine

Hello everyone! I’m new to the forums and excited to meet and make friends with Christian writers.

I am a Catholic high schooler with dreams of being published someday. I have written some poems and short stories, including fanfiction, and have a long-term project/WIP. I generally write fantasy/sci-fi, and my WIP is a Dystopia. I don’t have much on my WIP, I must admit; I’m really making a detailed plan at this point.

I love reading and can usually be found reading, whether a fiction book or a writing article. Other things I love include dogs, writing, nature, sunsets, libraries, the smell of new and old books, warm cookies, relationships, summer, organization, and singing.

I was introduced to this site by @corkybookworm a couple weeks ago and started reading the articles, and recently was accepted to the forums. I can’t wait to meet you all and join a guild!

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam - For the greater glory of God
    Catholic, student, bookdragon

Ariella Newheart
    @ariella-newheart

Welcome to Story Embers, @writercatherine ! It’s great to have you here. What are some of your favorite books?

Writer, illustrator, Parimi Alcan

Check out my new blog! https://arbitraryfairy.wordpress.com/

Catherine Roche
    @writercatherine

Thank you, @ariella-newheart ! Some of my favorite books are Cinder by Marissa Meyer, Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger, Michael Vey by Richard Paul Evans, and The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau. I’m more into fantasy/sci-fi than realistic fiction or nonfiction. What are some of your favorite books?

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@writercatherine welcome to Story Embers! 😀 I also write a fantasy with dystopia…often mixed together because I can’t decide which one I like better 😛 What’s your favorite thing about summer?

~ Khylie
    "Beauty will save the world." - Dostoevsky

Catherine Roche
    @writercatherine

@morreafirebird Thank you! My favorite part of summer is the heat. I love the sun and warmth. I feel like a flower soaking up the sun and I love it. What’s your favorite season?

Catherine Roche
    @writercatherine

Hey @corkybookworm ! I tried to tag you before but didn’t successfully do so, so I thought I’d try again.

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@writercatherine I can definitely relate to that! Summer is awesome where I am. Though I think autumn is my favorite because of all the colors. They inspire me to write 🙂 What inspires your writing?

~ Khylie
    "Beauty will save the world." - Dostoevsky

Catherine Roche
    @writercatherine

@morreafirebird It’s nice and toasty here in Texas. Yes, autumn is lovely too. Really, anything and everything inspires my writing, from nature to a random sentence I overhear. You can tell that when you read a few of my poems; they’re all over the place! Do you ever write poetry, or are you focused on prose?

Coralie
    @corkybookworm

@writercatherine GIRL!! YOU’RE HERE!!! AHHH! <3

Kay, hehe. So excited! Sorry about the delayed response (Your first tag worked just fine! I just haven’t been on in days). It’s been INSANE here! However, WELCOME!! 😀 I see the wonderful SE crowd has not left you hanging. I can’t wait to see you in a guild!! I hope you get Rillumen!

@morreafirebird
    I love the beautiful colors of Autumn!!

GraceBought
    https://gracebought.wordpress.com/

Catherine Roche
    @writercatherine

@corkybookworm HI!! Ah. The first tag didn’t link properly, so I just assumed it didn’t tag you. Thanks! Yep, I’m already getting to know some lovely new people! I’m so excited to join a guild! I think it’s going to be a while, though. I think they recently did some guild adding, so I may have to wait a month. Yeah, it would be awesome to be in the same guild! You are more advanced then me, though. How many guilds are there?

Coralie
    @corkybookworm

@writercatherine Ooh, love the new pic! Yes, you’re going to love the guilds.

They just expanded them from three to…six, I believe? There’s New Wessex (sp?), Rillumen, Avensbeck, and three more I think? I’m not sure what all of the names are. Everything is kind of hush-hush XD I think they open up at the top of the months, but I know it depends on the demand and the availability and guild masters and all that.

Hah, girl, I’m not all that advanced. I’ve got a lot of areas to improve. I think my score was like intermediate/advanced, right in the middle of the two. But this is a cool community, since there are writers at all stages, and many of them are very young.

What articles have you read thus far? Any in particular that got your wheels turning?

GraceBought
    https://gracebought.wordpress.com/

Catherine Roche
    @writercatherine

@corkybookworm Thanks!

Ha, they don’t tell you much? Maybe they don’t want us to know a lot about the guilds because they don’t want us to know if we were placed in a more advanced guild or not because of hurt feelings or something.

Right. I think I saw on the forums that someone was recently added to a guild. They generally add people at the beginning of each month is what I got, yeah. That’s why I think I might have to wait a month.

I was right in the middle of novice/intermediate myself. I’m working with the Writer’s Rank Advancement Guide right now with the two areas I scored myself the lowest on- setting and genre.

Oh, I’ve read all sorts of articles! Some directly on this website, and some I discovered from this website, like C.S. Lakin and K.M. Weidland’s articles. They’ve been very useful, and I think I’ve already learned a lot. The hard part is actually using what I now know. Hmm, some of the most useful ones I’ve read so far are these:

And I have several books I’m putting on my priority to-read list as well, like The Art & Craft of Writing Christian Fiction and Structuring Your Novel.

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

Welcome to the site @writercatherine! I /think/ we’re preparing to add candidates in the near future… Current Guilds are Avensbeck, Erekdale, Meraki, New Wessex, Parimi Alca, and Rillumen. We may be starting up a new Guild, though, for the current registrants. 🙂 What are you currently doing to improve your understanding of setting and genre?

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Catherine Roche
    @writercatherine

Thanks, @josiah! That’s good to know!

I’ve been reading the suggested articles from the Writer’s Rank Advancement Guide and practicing describing settings. I’m also planning on reading a few of the suggested books soon, and possibly enrolling in some of the courses, depending on how money works out. Speaking of the guide, are any of the resources listed as “coming soon” under your name now released, or are all still to be released? (The Basics of Writing Genre Fiction, Breaking Cliches for Dummies, etc.)

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

@writercatherine Awesome! Sounds like a plan. And yes–we need to update the guides with some additional resources and those links. Here’s where you can find the mentioned courses: https://josiahdegraaf.teachable.com/

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.