fb

Hi from Texas!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hi from Texas!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 76 total)
  • Author

@kimlikesart

Sorry my answer was so long! I’ll keep it shorter so it’s easier to read next time.

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future. -JRR Tolkien

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@kimlikesart Hey hey hey welcome fellow home-schooler! (which funny enough is now becoming not that rare, thanks covid-19 😛 )

I love strategy games! Do you have any favorites?

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@arindown

Yes! I love to color (with pencils) those adult coloring books. (: I also enjoy sketching! My mom loves painting…with every type of paint. Me? I’m a pencil girl (or ink). Every time (almost) I’ve had an amazing sketch and added paint??? Let’s just say I’ve regretted it. 🙂 But, I love looking at paintings!

Yea, I finished a book! And it is about a girl-woman who lived when Jesus was on earth. (: It starts when she is six and goes until her death (around the age of fifty).

I get what you mean about research. Sometimes it’s my favorite part about writing, other times…? 🙂

Biblical time stories? I’ve outlined, and started to write one about Joseph. I’ve outlined one about Joshua. I’ve studied for one about Joab. I’ve finished my first draft about Jephthah (that story marks a spiritual point in my life…and has special significance). (:

What’s your sister’s name? That’s cool that you guys write together! Thanks for telling me where I can put a quote. 🙂

What are your books about? Ideas, outlines, and drafts! (:

Jominkreesa

Love is the wisdom of the fool and the folly of the wise.

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@arindown

Yes! I love to color (with pencils) those adult coloring books. (: I also enjoy sketching! My mom loves painting…with every type of paint. Me? I’m a pencil girl (or ink). Every time (almost) I’ve had an amazing sketch and added paint??? Let’s just say I’ve regretted it. But, I love looking at paintings!

Yea, I finished a book! And it is about a girl-woman who lived when Jesus was on earth. (: It starts when she is six and goes until her death (around the age of fifty).

I get what you mean about research. Sometimes it’s my favorite part about writing, other times…?

Biblical time stories? I’ve outlined, and started to write one about Joseph. I’ve outlined one about Joshua. I’ve studied for one about Joab. I’ve finished my first draft about Jephthah (that story marks a spiritual point in my life…and has special significance). (:

What’s your sister’s name? That’s cool that you guys write together! Thanks for telling me where I can put a quote.

What are your books about? Ideas, outlines, and drafts! (:

Jominkreesa

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@beth20

Okay, here’s the prologue for my book. (It’s grammar definitely needs work though.)

Six year old Chena Batjehoshaphat’s chest steadily rose and fell, her coarse sheets just barely brushing her closed, dark lashes. Her lips turning upward, and face smooth, she dreamed of their goat, and clouds.

That was cut short as she was yanked from her bed.

“Chena!” Her mother’s voice was urgent, “Get under your bed. Hurry girl!”

Chena began crawling beneath her bed, her mother shoved her the rest of the way. A mass of straw, old rags, and creepy crawlies followed her less than a second later. “Stay here Little Bee. And under no circumstances; no matter what you hear, do not leave this spot.” Her mother raced to the door, then turned around to say, “I love you.”

Chena sucked in quick, dusty breathes, eyes wide in the darkness. Screams and crashes resounded just a room away. The floor trembled. Tears rolled down her soft cheeks as the little girl heard her mother’s sobs. Chena sucked in gulping breaths. Straw flew into her throat, and Chena muffled her coughs into some dirty rags.

“YHWH help us!” she whispered with trembling lips.

There were more crashes, more tremors. The Roman’s were there. Chena knew it as much as she could tell bugs shared the hiding place with her.

The child’s ears tingled, at the sound of her father begging someone. His usually diplomatic voice was despairing, and frantic. “Merenda, sir, please I beg you in your Roman wisdom don, don’t hurt my wife!? She, she is with,” those were the last words Chena heard her father speak.

Chena bit her tongue to keep from joining in the resounding screech her mother let shake the night. Had they hurt her mommy? Daddy or Malachi? (Her elder brother) What would happen to Ruth, or Jaden? (Their pet goat and cow)

“Please YHWH?” she quaked, crying more, and more. Crashes resounded, her life breaking apart. Jehovah will they burn our home? Will they make us all slaves? Will they burn mommy, or poppy? Is Malachi safe?

Chena wrapped herself into the rags until she couldn’t move her arms, and the fabric squeezed her from all sides, crying harder. Then she froze. The dirt floor she was on vibrated as heavy footsteps battered her room.

Chena heard the clay jar mama, and papa had given her last Purim smash. The blankets covering Chena’s bed were chucked out the doorway. Then the bed-frame flung against the side wall with a resounding CRACK!!! Chena jumped, and would’ve screamed, if Fear hadn’t clutched her throat so tight it cut off her air. She clenched her eyes shut, Oh, L-rd Jehovah? I love You! Help us! Help Your children!? Please?…

The strips of rags, and hay laying beside her were lifted and sifted through. The man grunted, and one large foot stomped beside her head, shuffling through the mess. Chena’s eyes popped open. Large toes in the issued sandal ‘boot’ greaves, and cleaves. Three inch spikes glaring at her.

Couldn’t he see her? Why hadn’t his foot crushed her face yet? Or kicked her?

He whispered something in Latin, grabbed Chena’s only piece of jewelry from a stand, and stuffed it among his clothes. He abandoned the pile of filth which had been stuffed under Chena’s bed, and proceeded to destroy everything else in her room.

After he left several other soldiers came in and searched as well.

Why were the Romans doing this? More tears snaked down Chena’s cheeks. She kept her small hands cupped over her mouth as she watched men move about her room as if she were invisible.

Her papa was just a simple farmer?  He paid his taxes. He wasn’t outspoken. Chena loved him, and trusted him, and couldn’t understand why anyone would want to hurt him?

The men casting glances over their shoulders drifted her room, their sounds fading. All the marauders had moved outside, where there were a growing amount of curses and her mother’s screams.

Get out. The words beat inside her brain and chest. Run now! Leave! Hurry! Get up and flee!

“But what if they kill me?” she whispered in a blub.

More curses railed outside their mud house.

She didn’t wait for the whisper to come again, Chena just obeyed. She got up from the bower, legs working like blocks of wood beneath her as she scampered into the main room where her mother mended clothes, and cooked. It was their living space, where their family would play games late into the night with laughter, looking out the door to the stars. It was silent now, and dark outside. Aside that is, from the glow of torches, and curses still railing in the side yard.

Had they found her brother? Or had YHWH spared him as well? What of her mommy, and daddy? This all flashed through her mind in just seconds.

Then one question was answered as something sticky, and wet splashed onto her running foot, and leg. Chena may have screamed, she may have not. She could never recall, but in any case none of the men came in to get her as she knelt by her father and touched his stricken face. His stomach had been cut open, entrails and blood covering the floor.

Her foot had splashed a puddle of his blood as she ran. She swung about; eyes wide, and hands clapping to her face as she stared at her daddy. Then crying, muttering words she could never she knelt down beside him, her knees leaning into the pool of his blood as she cupped her father’s cheeks in her hands. His dark eyes stared up at her unseeing. Forever frozen in pain.

“Papa.” She whispered, her whole body convulsing over and over. “Oh Papa!”

Then her brother was there, lifting, then pushing her in course whispers to run into the tall grass surrounding the property; to wait there for him. When she couldn’t move Malachi spanked her hard, and she ran. She ran, and ran.

At some point she fell down, and couldn’t get up. She sobbed, whole body convulsing, pushing her face into the dirt. Two foot blades of grass surrounding her in all directions. Her father’s image haunting her un-blemished mind. She convulsed, wishing her mother’s arms were around her. Or even Malachi’s. She didn’t know when but she finally no more tears would come, so she lay a while hiccupping, using her arm as a pillow, and fell into a besieged dream.

If she had been awake Chena would have heard a cry in the late night. She might have known it was her brothers, she might have not. Malachi had bolted out of the house when the smoke from the fire the Roman’s had lit got too thick. One of the officers had chased the youth but a minute before he was grabbed, and taken him away.

Truly only YHWH could save His people.

Jominkreesa

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@emily-maynard

Hi! I have three favorites, and two are trilogies (sorry). ‘War of the Realm’ series by Chuck Black; The Auschwitz Escape’ by Joel C. Rosenberg; and the ‘Mark of the Lion’ series by Francine Rivers.

What are your favorite books?

Jominkreesa

Beth Darlene
    @beth20

@kimlikesart

Okay awesome, I’ll read this when I’m done with the Character Castle!

Jominkreesa! For the weirdos who know what it means! 😉 I love you guys!

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@eitan

To start, I love your name.

Texas. The first thing that comes to mind is our history. And where we didn’t fight the British, we had our own fight for independence against loud odds. We’re (most of us) all or nothing people. When we set out to do something, we do it. I live in where the West begins, and right next to where the East peters out.

Even before the CCP Virus I stayed at home a lot, (except for church, youth, and a few classes). We have a little bit of a lot of things to do though. a zoo, gardens (both water and floral)… Sorry, I get carried away.

The weather is a roller coaster. Last month it was eighty degrees fahrenheit one day, and forty the next.

I am fifteen for two(ish) more weeks. (:

I love Genesis; Daniel; Proverbs; Matthew; and James (the most).

I have two favorite verses. 🙂

Proverbs 17:28 ‘Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.’

1 Peter 3:15 ‘But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:’

Favorite character…? Oh wow… Joseph (from the Torah), probably,…or Joshua.

My name? Oh,… I really have no idea…Well, ‘Gray’ like the color, then the letter ‘C’. I’m not sure if that’s helpful. (:

Why do the 4th century Balkans interest you? What ideas do yuo have?

Where are you from?  What’s interesting where you come from? What’s the weather like?

How old are you?

(I know I’m copying, but your questions were really good…)

What is your favorite book in the Bible; your favorite chapter in the Bible; your favorite verses; and your favorite character (besides Jesus)? And I really like how you said that, ‘Besides Jesus’.

I do really like your name!

Jominkreesa

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@olivia

Hi! You don’t need to feel bad about long messages (at least with me). (:

What’s your favorite song? What are all your siblings’ names? That’s so cool about the piano!

I want four children. I love that you want to foster!

Where were you a missionary to?  I am going to be a missionary to Muslims…I’m not sure where yet. But for now Walmart works. 🙂

By!

Jominkreesa

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@evelyn

Hi!

I really like Risk, Chess, Catan, and basically any other game that makes me use my brain to solve a problem. Card games like Sky-Jo, and even Uno I like having a strategy for. (:

Thanks for saying hello!

Jominkreesa

emily-maynard
    @emily-maynard

@kimlikesart I’ve never heard of those but am looking for some new books/authors – I’ll check them out!

I love Catan too!

My favorites are Running for my Life by Lopez Lomong and Little Women. Melanie Dickerson and Jane Austen’s books are pretty good too 🙂

@kimlikesart

Awesome! I’ll write away then. 😉

Favourite song, as in with words or without? I probably don’t have one, either way. lol

My family consists of my parents (of course), Collin, who is married, Andrea, who just graduated from college, Graham, who just finished his first year of college, Evan, who is in high school, and me, and I’m also in high school.

We were missionaries on a little reserve in north-western Ontario, called Poplar Hill. I’m sure you’ve never heard of it, but anyway, we were there ten and a half years, and since I was only one when we moved there, that was where I grew up. It was great for a clueless little kid. Lol.

We moved from there to a nearby town four years ago, but it hardly took me any time, since this is where we used to stay when we were off the rez. So I had friends here already, and I like living here as well. I honestly couldn’t say which place I like living better, since as a kid Poplar was like, the best, but I definitely wouldn’t have wanted to grow up there with really no Christian friends. And I really love the town I live in now, though I wouldn’t have wanted to grow up here instead of Poplar, because now I’ve experienced something not many people have the chance to experience. so I understand people of different cultures better, and I understand what it is to be a minority. Like really, I was the only person with blonde hair in the whole town!!!! And our family was the only group of white people who lived there all year round. All the others were just teachers and nurses and police and such.

That’s super cool that you wanna be a missionary as well! I want to, but I have no idea where, or if I’ll even go anywhere. As my mom has told me before, everywhere there is a need for people to show God’s love, it’s just where God leads you. For them, it was up North, and so even though it would just feel like staying home for me, this might be where I’m supposed to stay. I don’t know, but I do know you can share God’s love no matter where you are. So I don’t honestly know if I’m gonna go anywhere, though I sorta want to.

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future. -JRR Tolkien

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@emily-maynard

Running for my Life by Lopez Lomong looks good. I also have the full ‘Little Women’ series on my shelf, but haven’t gotten to them yet!

Jominkreesa

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@kimlikesart

Uh huh. Pencil is the best.😆 I’ve tried painting, but I’ve never had a lot of patience with it. I love looking at other people’s paintings too. Anyone who is better than me ends up being kinda my hero.😂

Wow! Congrats on finishing a book! I’m partway through a fantasy about a wizard who learns what love, trust, and forgiveness are. No matter how I put it, it never sounds awesome, so I’m going to quit trying. Hopefully it turns out better than the descriptions I give it.😂 I also have a whole series of other fantasy, as well as contemporary fiction novels running around in my head.

Your book ideas sound amazing! I always love it when someone brings the Bible to life in a new way. Have you seen the show The Chosen? If not, you should check it out. It’s really good.

My sister isn’t on Story Embers, but she is my biggest writing buddy (and one of my biggest fans😆). Actually, I have a whole community of writers at home that I can hang out with, because several of my siblings are into the writing thing also. Are there any other writers in your family?

Not all those who wander are lost.

Eitan
    @eitan

Ah, my name? Thank you very much!

Even before the CCP Virus I stayed at home a lot

Oh, me too! It reminds me of Genesis 25:27…

Jacob was a quiet man, dwelling in tents.

Why do the 4th century Balkans interest you? What ideas do yuo have?

Hmm, I was interested in the era of the great migration and the spreading of Christianity in Europe.

Where are you from?  What’s interesting where you come from? What’s the weather like? How old are you? (I know I’m copying, but your questions were really good…)

Thanks lol!

I’m from Israel, and my city lies between the Judean desert and the ”’frontier of the desert”.

The Judean desert is a dry, uninhabited rain-shadow, full of canyons and cliffs, that lies between the mountains of Judea to the dead sea – a fall of more than 2000 yards. Because no human lives in the area, many animals – like hyenas, wolves, Nubian ibexes (a kind of wild goats), gazelles, and even some leopards, even though I fear they have already been extinct from the area.

In the days of the Bible, David and his followers hided in the area from Saul (1 Samuel 24:2). In Jesus’ times, the cult of the Essenes (the ones who wrote the scrolls of Qumran) were living there.

The frontier of the desert is a land of milk and honey compares to the Judean desert. It’s a land of low hills, dry streams and some plains here and there. The area is inhabited by some Jewish cities and many Bedouin villages and towns.

Carefully cultivated, the area is fertile enough to sustain some big Biblical cities, like Arad (Numbers 21:1-3) and Beersheba (Genesis 21:31), that’s ruins still exist, and I visited them several times. Even today, the Bedouins grow there sheep, horses and wild barley, and Jews have vineyards there. Abraham lived in the area, and there he also met the LORD and the 2 angles; Isaac grew there bountiful fields; The tribes of Judah and Simeon settled there; king Uzziah dogged there many cisterns and built fortresses, one of them still exists (ruined, though) near my city (2 Chronicles 26:10).

What’s the weather like?… The winter is mild, though once or twice a year, there’s a cold wave and the temperature is 37f. We don’t have many rains, but once there are, they usually cause fast floods in the dry streams. The summer is scorching hot, but thankfully dry and not humid, so it’s bearable. The temperature might be up to 104f, as it was just a few days ago. To deal with the summer we learn from kindergarten how to be ”smart in the sun” – drink a lot, ware hats, don’t be outside between 10AM-4PM, etc. Being stupid in the sun might cause heat stroke, dehydration, sun burns, skin cancer, and / or death. But unless you’re stupid, it’s great!

Wow. That was long, But I love when people tell stuff about they’re places, so why not to tell about mine? 😉

I’m 14, I will be 15 in 2 months.

What is your favorite book in the Bible; your favorite chapter in the Bible; your favorite verses; and your favorite character (besides Jesus)? And I really like how you said that, ‘Besides Jesus’.

Favorite book – Hmm, maybe psalms, or proverbs. I also love Isaiah and Jeremiah. I’m currently reading through James, though.

My favorite chapter?… Revelation 21-22, I think.

Favorite verses? Hmm… Proverbs 3:5, I think:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
    and do not lean on your own understanding.

Favorite character besides Jesus… King David, I think.

I am going to be a missionary to Muslims…

It’s so cool that you want to be a missionary!

You don't need to see the wind itself in order to hear the rustling leaves.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest