fb

Hi everyone!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

Hey there, my name is Lily.  First off, I want to say thank you so much for letting me join!  This is the first time I’ve ever used a group forum; I’d love any advice on how to join a particular group!

So, here’s a quick intro:

I love writing middle grade stories; I’ve been reading them my whole life.  My favorite genre would be medieval fantasy (ie. Narnia, Ranger’s Apprentice, False Prince, etc.)  I hope to grow as a writer and explore other genres like dystopian or maybe sci-fi (all for kids).  For me, writing is breathing.  And rich compelling stories are my favorite.

Thanks again, and I hope everyone has a great week!

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@imwritehere1920

Hi Lily!

Welcome! I just joined this forum a few weeks ago. It can be really confusing at first, but once you get the hang of it it’s really fun!

Joining groups? You can just click the join button on whichever forum/group you’re interested in. Then you poke around. The Fantasy Character Castle is really cool, and there’s room for one more person in it. Basically characters are pulled from all worlds and times to one castle, and we make our characters interact. It’s really fun.

The Character Development game is really fun too. (:

I love to write as well! I have so many story ideas it’s hard to write them all down! Writing for children is an admirable mission. Go for it! Narnia is amazing, which is your favorite? (I’ll check up on the other ones you suggested.) Why do you like those books?

Welcome again! I hope you enjoy, and it’s not all too overwhelming. (:

(This is my first social media as well)

Have a great day!!!

Jominkreesa

Passion = A Willingness To Suffer

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@kimlikesart

Hi Gracie!  Thank you so much for your help; I will definitely check out the Fantasy Character Castle!

I have so many ideas too!  I think my notebook will soon explode from all these ideas XD

Just as a side note, Ranger’s Apprentice can get intense (I think I caught a couple d** words from some of the bad guys.)  But I love the chemestry between the characters and the plots really pull you in.  And the False Prince!  Be prepared for a crazy ride! (The first three books are all tightly woven together!  The foreshadowing by Jennifer Nielsen is amazing!)

What kinds of stories do you like writing?  And what are your favorite books and what do you like most about them?

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@imwritehere1920

Oh! So many different genres. But I like Historical Fiction the best (for writing and reading). (:

Oooh… Favorite books? (It’s pretty long, so don’t feel bad about skipping.)

‘The River of Time’ series by Lisa Bergren is really good. It has time travel, but is mostly in medieval times. The characters are very well developed and the plot builds, and thickens in each story.  There are very strong morals, and it pulls you in when those morals are shunned.

‘The Mark of The Lion’ series by Francine Rivers is also really good. It’s about a Jewish girl who is taken as a slave to Rome after the destruction of Jerusalem. Again the characters are very well thought out, believable, and pull on your mind, heart, and soul. The plot is solid, but also asks many hard questions that pertain to our culture today. They are all answered without you truly recognizing there was a lesson. It does not sound or appear preachy, but the truths are very clear and real.

A single book? ‘The Auschwitz Escape’ by Joel Rosenberg. I am almost a geek on WWII history. In Mr. Rosenberg’s book a non-practicing Jew joins the German resistance. I don’t want to spoil it, but the book is very accurate and doesn’t sugar coat things. And where the main character is not a Christain, he interacts with one. Without you even recognizing it the gospel is preached and lived out by the man he interacts with. Very good characters. Very good plot. Very good lessons.

Do you have any siblings? Or pets?

Jominkreesa

Ella
    @writergirl101

@imwritehere1920

Hi, Lily, I’m Ella.  Nice to meet you!  I love dystopian–I think The Giver and The City of Ember are supposed to be good ones for middle-grade level.  (I’ve never read them–you might have–but they’re very highly reviewed.)  Oh, and another one, a YA dystopian with only some (not a lot) romance at the end, called The Sandcastle Empire by Kayla Olsen, is very good.  But if you generally steer clear of YA, that’s completely fine.

Amen!  Writing is breathing!  All my notebooks are exploding, too…😒😜

Btw, you can put a little quote, saying, etc. below each of your posts by going to your profile and inserting that quote into the ‘Forum Signature’ space.  Just saying, if you wanted to.

Nice to meet you!

-Ella

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn.

Violet
    @pookiemonster

@imwritehere1920  Welcome to Story Embers! I know you’ll love it here.
    I love medieval fantasy too. Have you read “A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court”?
    If you like dystopian mixed with some super villain action could I suggest The Reckoners series by Brandon Sanderson.
    Do you like Star Wars?

I tend to ask a lot of questions. Here have some doughnuts while you think them over. 🙂  🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩

Just remember to... Trust in God, Stay Safe, and Eat Doughnuts 🍩🍩

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@kimlikesart

Oh cool.  Those books sound interesting (My dad loves Joel Rosenburg’s books.  I haven’t tried them yet… 🙂

I have a mix of five brothers and sisters in all; as for pets, I used to have a cat and some chickens (but my cat died in a car accident several years ago.  And the chickens are gone; so no current pets). 🙂

Do you have siblings?  (And pets?)

Btw, what does Jominkreesa mean?

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@imwritehere1920

I’m sorry about your cat. 🙁  (and chickens)

What are all your siblings’ names? (Don’t feel like you need to answer that) I love hearing the names big families use.

I have one little sister. She’s fun…usually.

Bethany (my little sister) has a rabbit named Thumper. I have a standard poodle named Ericka. They’re both really sweet.

Jominkreesa means… (It’s a sort of secret thingy…) Sorry about that.

Jominkreesa

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@writergirl101

It’s so nice to meet you, Ella!  Thank you for the recomendations (I think I’ve heard of the Sandcastle Empire.  It looked very interesting.  And I’ve read the Giver and it was really good!)

And thanks for the advice on inserting a quote (Now I just have to find a favorite one.  I’ve come across too many good ones XD)

What is your favorite genre?  And is that a picture of your cat?

(Ps. Love your quote.  Next time something goes wrong, I’ll try yelling ‘Plot Twist’!  I’ll see how many confused stares I get XD)

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@pookiemonster

Hi Violet!  It’s nice to meet you!

Um, do I like Star Wars?  Is Princess Leia (and Rey and Rose and Admirable Holdo) completely awesome?!  (Yes, yes and double yes!  Although, I admit, my older brother is an even bigger fanatic than I am *wondering how that can be* XD)

I have only seen the movie adaptation of a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court (though I know we have an old copy of the book somewhere…)  And I here great things about Brandon Sanderson, so thank-you for recommending his books!

Do you like Star Wars too?  If so, which Star Wars characters are your favorite?

And what is your favorite genre to write in?

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@kimlikesart

Thank-you.  It happened a long time ago, so I’m not sad anymore. 🙂

As for my siblings’ names… That too shall have to be secret 😉

Aww, Thumper is a really cute name for a rabbit.  And your poodle sounds adorable!  How old is she?

And young siblings can be fun (even if they drive you crazy. haha.)  Have you gotten cabin fever during the ‘unamed crisis’?

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@imwritehere1920

My poodle is 11 years old.☺So, 77 in doggy years.

I enjoyed the lockdown for the first several weeks, then I started missing everybody and youth. (I’m homeschooled) so almost nothing changed. (:

What about you? How has the stay at home thing been?

Jominkreesa

Ella
    @writergirl101

@imwritehere1920

Yes, that is my cat, Jasmine.  She’s super sweet at night…ONLY at night!😂 She ignores me the rest of the time.😒

My favorite genre is probably speculative fiction to both read and write.  I also love fantasy of any kind.  Medieval fantasy is wonderful!  I love Ranger ‘s Apprentice, too!  What craft would you want to go into?  Ranger, all the way for me.😉

Haha!😋 (my quote)  Girl, that’s the only way to do it!

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Ella.
    • This reply was modified 1 year ago by Ella.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn.

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@kimlikesart

Oh cool!  My family homeschools as well!  Yeah, not much has changed for us either (we’ve been doing some summer projects.  How about you?)

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@writergirl101

Your cat is so adorable!  My former cat was named Patches.

Have you ever read The False Prince?

I’d have to say I’d be a ranger too (my dad taught me archery a few years ago; though I’m sorely out of practice.  Halt would disaprove XD)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest