fb

Hi everyone!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Blooming Grace
    @lady-grace

Hi!
    I’m excited to join SE and meet some other writers!
    A little bit about me…
    I play guitar, I’m nearly done with the first draft of my first book, and I love hiking! I also paint rocks to spread The Chosen (a tv. show about the life of Christ). Oh, and I may be a little *cough*, ok, a lot, obsessed with reading.

What do y’all like to do?
    *wanders away hoping I did everything right* lol

A long-hidden tale may hold the answers-and the healing-they so desperately seek.
    ~Set the Stars Alight

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Hello Chloe ( @lady-grace ) I love reading as well! What’s your favorite book or author? My favorite authors are C.S. Lewis and Dorothy Sayers, and my favorite two books are A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens)  and The Strong Room (Jere Wheelwright). I used to say I didn’t have a genre I liked, but it’s beginning to dawn on me that I enjoy mysteries!

Congrats on being almost done with your first draft! That’s exciting! What’s the book about?

*wanders away hoping I did everything right* lol

haha, that’s pretty much how I felt when I joined a few months ago. Don’t worry,  you’re doing everything fine!

Quoth the raven, "Nevermore!"
    https://silverpenstrokes.wordpress.com

Blooming Grace
    @lady-grace

@emily-waldorf
    I like Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, and Chuck Black (although I’ve only read the Kingdom and Knights series. Aside from their books, I like the Bronze Bow (Elizabeth George Speare) and The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins).
    My sister wants to read A Tale of Two Cities! I think she found it at a library near us.

I used to say I didn’t have a genre I liked, but it’s beginning to dawn on me that I enjoy mysteries!

I’ve never actually read mystery, mainly just fantasy. What do you like about it?

Congrats on being almost done with your first draft! That’s exciting! What’s the book about

I used to tell people “a handsome idiot that saves a world from these creatures called Dintey.” but I don’t think that fits anymore (thank goodness, haha). My MC’s name is Finnegan. His town is attacked by a witch’s army and his family is taken captive.
    He ends up in a somewhat magical land and discovers not only is it where he is actually from, he also has a power called the Gift. The Gift can not be commanded and only works when you have a lot of genuine hope.
    Finn trains to rescue his family and a war begins.
    The queen has sees something in Finn, but he doesn’t understand that he has a purpose. That God has a plan and will use him. Especially when he continues to seemingly fail. But as events continue to take place, he realizes that he does have a purpose, and while God doesn’t need him, He wants him.
    I think in the second draft, I will make part of the book from the pov of Ava Wolfe, a war orphan. She believes her only worth is in her skill with the bow, but Finn doesn’t see her that way. He’ll probably become the first friend she’s had in years.
    So yeah, that’s my current WIP. I’m excited for the second draft to fix all of my beginning writer stupidity haha. I’m also eager for book two (totally haven’t been writing scenes from it already 😉 ). It is going to focus more on redemption and trusting in God.

What do you like to write?

haha, that’s pretty much how I felt when I joined a few months ago. Don’t worry, you’re doing everything fine!

I’ve been getting my sister Emma to show me how to do stuff haha

A long-hidden tale may hold the answers-and the healing-they so desperately seek.
    ~Set the Stars Alight

E. N. Leonard
    @e-n-leonard

@lady-grace

I’m kind of surprised you didn’t get on the SE forum before I did. You know what I like 😜, so I’ll just get to the point: Welcome!

And yes, I found A Tale of Two Cities.

We are called to be lights in the cosmos.
    May your inkwells never run dry!

Blooming Grace
    @lady-grace

@e-n-Leonard

Just took me a bit to get around to it 🤷‍♀️.

You know what I like 😜 (how on earth do you do the respond thing?😅)

Yes, I suppose I do🤔. You like Star Wars, sketching battle scenes, and— oh wait… I’m think of Ethan…🤪

~Set the Stars Alight

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@lady-grace

I like Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, and Chuck Black (although I’ve only read the Kingdom and Knights series. Aside from their books, I like the Bronze Bow (Elizabeth George Speare) and The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins).

You like good authors!! I haven’t read Suzanne Collins or Chuck Black. Have you heard of The Witch of Blackbird Pond? (Elizabeth George Speare)? That one was good!

I’ve never actually read mystery, mainly just fantasy. What do you like about it?

It’s not for everyone. I like the story unfolding, trying to guess the criminal, the excitement of the first read-through. With Dorothy Sayers’s I love the it for the characters! Do you have something you like especially about fantasy?

What do you like to write?

I’ll give you a formal blurb thingy in a few days, but for now I’ll say I have no idea what genre I write! I call it low fantasy, but it’s not. I’m also working on a fairy tale retelling. 🙂

@e-n-leonard

And yes, I found A Tale of Two Cities.

You must read it! You too, Chloe. If not now, some other time in your life. 🙂

I THOUGHT you were sisters. 😛 Are you, by any chance, homeschooled? We seem to have similar opinions.

E. N. Leonard
    @e-n-leonard

@lady-grace

@e-n-Leonard Just took me a bit to get around to it 🤷‍♀️. You know what I like 😜 (how on earth do you do the respond thing?😅) Yes, I suppose I do🤔. You like Star Wars, sketching battle scenes, and— oh wait… I’m think of Ethan…🤪

Pshht! 😂 Get your facts straight, my lady!

@emily-waldorf

Yes, we were homeschooled, and most certainly are sisters. Some people think we’re twins 😂, but we’re a good four years apart.

Do you have something you like especially about fantasy?

I don’t know if it’s the same for Chloe, but fantasy is my native habitat. It is just natural for me to write it since I’ve practically breathed unicorns and unknown lands and made up languages since I was a wee child, who worked so hard to make up the word “pegauony” I fell off my bicycle XD.

I’ll check out A Tale of Two Cities the next time I go to the library 🙂

We are called to be lights in the cosmos.
    May your inkwells never run dry!

Blooming Grace
    @lady-grace

@emily-waldorf

You like good authors!! I haven’t read Suzanne Collins or Chuck Black. Have you heard of The Witch of Blackbird Pond? (Elizabeth George Speare)? That one was good!

We’ve been reading two Chuck Black series that tie together for like seven years now and they still aren’t old😂.
    Ah, yes! Witch of Blackbird Pond. I read that a couple years ago. It was good, but sadly I don’t remember all the details and we don’t have it anymore.

It’s not for everyone. I like the story unfolding, trying to guess the criminal, the excitement of the first read-through. With Dorothy Sayers’s I love the it for the characters! Do you have something you like especially about fantasy?

Ok. Ooh, yes, guessing is fun.
    Hmm, I like the imagination part quite a bit. We’ve been creating worlds and fighting with swords for a while now. Forts, imaginary battles, trees, and poison ivy make a great life. Well… maybe minus poison ivy😂. A friend of mine and I used to act like unicorns😂.

I’ll give you a formal blurb thingy in a few days, but for now I’ll say I have no idea what genre I write! I call it low fantasy, but it’s not. I’m also working on a fairy tale retelling. 🙂

👍
    Oh nice!

I THOUGHT you were sisters. 😛 Are you, by any chance, homeschooled? We seem to have similar opinions.

😂 yep, I play the role of “little sister” with expertise.
    Yes! Homeschooling for the win😂!
    You met Emma in the character castle, right? Totally haven’t been reading all the posts in there

Yes, we’ll definitely have to read A Tale of Two Cities.

~Set the Stars Alight

Ethan Leonard
    @ethan-leonard

You know what I like 😜 (how on earth do you do the respond thing?😅) Yes, I suppose I do🤔. You like Star Wars, sketching battle scenes, and— oh wait… I’m think of Ethan…🤪

Yep. That’s me. The crazy brother with an entire suit of mandalorian armor. That would be me.

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@e-n-leonard

Yes, we were homeschooled, and most certainly are sisters. Some people think we’re twins 😂, but we’re a good four years apart.

YES! Another homeschooler. I can smell ’em, lol.

It is just natural for me to write it since I’ve practically breathed unicorns and unknown lands and made up languages since I was a wee child, who worked so hard to make up the word “pegauony” I fell off my bicycle XD.

Ooh, what does “pegauony” mean?

Yes! One of my stories originated because I got an idea climbing and falling out of a tree with a skirt on. (Not recommended).

I’ll check out A Tale of Two Cities the next time I go to the library

You are required by law to tell me what you think of it when you are done reading. (FINEPRINT: I will not leave you alone until you do!)

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@lady-grace

We’ve been creating worlds and fighting with swords for a while now. Forts, imaginary battles, trees, and poison ivy make a great life. Well… maybe minus poison ivy😂. A friend of mine and I used to act like unicorns😂

When I was little the barn door was always a waterfall, and the floor was the rapids, so we had to stay off the floor–a variant of the game “lava”. 😀 I also had about a dozen imaginary horses with magical powers that were the colors of gladiolus flowers. Creating characters, storylines, and worlds is the best part of writing prose! Especially the storylines, according to me. 🙂 Do you prefer writing characters or plots?

😂 yep, I play the role of “little sister” with expertise. Yes! Homeschooling for the win😂! You met Emma in the character castle, right? Totally haven’t been reading all the posts in there

Absolutely yes! Homeschooling is great. Ha! I’m a little sister, too, with a sister 4 years older than me who also likes to write! 🙂 🙂 Yep! We’ve met. Wow. That must be an accomplishment; we post a lot of random stuff on there. I hope you have as much fun as we do in the character castle.

So, I’m in the middle of two WIPs, one is about these two brothers. The older one is Qatar, and the younger is Quin. Quin is still recovering mentally/emotionally from a wagon accident that killed his mother and left him with only one leg, and he feels like it was his fault. Qatar is angry at him for being what he thinks is incompetent and causing the accident, and both are totally self-absorbed and missing the fact that the other is struggling with their mother’s death and Quin’s disability. And that’s the storyline, although lots of things happen, mainly Qatar going to prison for counterfeiting and Quin getting sold as a slave by a side character with a subplot.

My fairy tale is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty with role reversals (so sleeping beauty is a prince, and the true-lover’s-kiss person is a princess) So, here you go:

Prince Alaric is completely absorbed in preparing for his coronation, hoping that as king he will be able to help his struggling people. But while he prepares, the people he longs to help are becoming impatient with the monarchy, and launch a plot to overthrow the kingdom, claiming that they have an heir with more right to the throne than Alaric. Behind it all is the evil wizard, Kral, the alternate heir. Into the mix of turbulent politics comes Alaric’s own friend and tutor, Irrelis the wizard, claiming that he has found the frame of an ancient mirror that holds power over time itself…

Isella never wanted to be a princess. She still doesn’t want to, but after the suspicious disappearance of all the royal heirs and the murder of her own family, she finds herself heir to the the kingdom, betrothed to the murderer himself. Now in the public eye, with her betrothed keeping constant guard on her, she is in deadly danger of revealing a power she has long kept hidden; a power she herself doesn’t understand. But when she asks questions from the guru who cast a spell over her life, the answer is more than she bargained for. Answers that involve a certain mirror from the ancient past, and a prince of a fallen kingdom, and an evil wizard named Kral, who strongly resembles the man she is to marry.

Whoa, that’s a lot of words. Sorry! Did I mention how amazingly cool your story sounds? And Finn is such a good name, too! I’m totally entranced by the storyline and the characters, and  I would actually love to read it sometime!

YOU MUST ALSO READ A TALE OF TWO CITIES AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK. 🙂 Okay, okay, I won’t overdo it, now.

Blooming Grace
    @lady-grace

@emily-waldorf

When I was little the barn door was always a waterfall, and the floor was the rapids, so we had to stay off the floor–a variant of the game “lava”. 😀 I also had about a dozen imaginary horses with magical powers that were the colors of gladiolus flowers.

Love it! Nice to know we aren’t the only crazy ones.
    We once went on a 70 day tent camping trip. At one place our mom turned around for a second to do something and when she turned back to us, we were all up a tree (and it was not a small tree)😂

Do you prefer writing characters or plots?

Ooh, that’s hard… hmm, I think I’ll go with characters.

Ha! I’m a little sister, too, with a sister 4 years older than me who also likes to write!

Oh wow, we seem to have a lot in common😂

So, I’m in the middle of two WIPs

*gasp* I’m not alone! My sister is like “I’ll finish this one, then start that one.” Me? I’ll work on 50 WIPs! Ok… that may be a few too many XD. But yeah, I have a second WIP. I’m hoping I’ll actually be able to publish it so I’m not actually going to really write it until I’m done with my practice books (the Bonds Trilogy).

Wow. That must be an accomplishment; we post a lot of random stuff on there. I hope you have as much fun as we do in the character castle.

Haha, y’all are crazy. And since I’m also crazy, I can’t wait to join in one!
    Thanks! Me too🙂

Your WIPs sound awesome! Now I wanna read it… 😂
    I wish you good luck in writing them!

Whoa, that’s a lot of words. Sorry!

No problem, I enjoyed reading it!
    I freak my friends out with how much/fast I read😂

Did I mention how amazingly cool your story sounds? And Finn is such a good name, too! I’m totally entranced by the storyline and the characters, and I would actually love to read it sometime!

Aw, thank you! That means a lot to me🥰
    If you like, I’ll keep you in mind for a beta reader.

YOU MUST ALSO READ A TALE OF TWO CITIES AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK. 🙂 Okay, okay, I won’t overdo it, now.

*holds up hands in defeat*😂 We went to the library today and got it. But I’ll be reading The Iron Lance by Stephan Lawhead first… My sister can read it while I finish that… 😁😂

~Set the Stars Alight

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

We once went on a 70 day tent camping trip.

That’s quite the trip! Oh, yeah! I spent the better part of one summer up a tree.

Oh wow, we seem to have a lot in common

😀

I’m hoping I’ll actually be able to publish it so I’m not actually going to really write it until I’m done with my practice books (the Bonds Trilogy).

I’m doing something similar with the fairy tale. I don’t want to publish it, but I think it has the potential to actually be a decent book, so I’m hurrying to finish the one about brothers first. Do your WIPs have names? I love names!

Haha, y’all are crazy. And since I’m also crazy, I can’t wait to join in one! Thanks! Me too🙂

*bows* it’s our specialty!

Your WIPs sound awesome! Now I wanna read it… 😂 I wish you good luck in writing them!

Aw, thanks! Maybe you shall someday. 🙂 Thanks again, and good luck to you, too!

Aw, thank you! That means a lot to me🥰 If you like, I’ll keep you in mind for a beta reader.

Sure, I would like that! I’m…a terrible beta reader if you have a deadline. I’ve never actually tried beta reading, but I am NOT a fast reader. 🙂

The Iron Lance by Stephan Lawhead first… My sister can read it while I finish that…

Any good?

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@lady-grace forgot to tag you.

Blooming Grace
    @lady-grace

@emily-waldorf

That’s quite the trip!

Yeah, from Minnesota to California, then back. We travel a lot😂

Do your WIPs have names? I love names!

Names!!! Dey is awesome! 😂 *ignores Emma wincing at my spelling and grammar*
    Like, book names? For the trilogy so far I have Bonds: Purpose, Bonds: Quest, and Bonds: Hope. I’m not certain if they’ll change or stay.
    For my other one, I only just decided to make it two books so I only have a temporary name for book one, which is Addilyn or Walk By Faith/Not By Sight. Still up in the air since I don’t have the whole plot laid out. And if I publish, Walk By Faith is common and sounds like what it usually is, a self help book😂

*bows* it’s our specialty!

😂😂
    The other night I said something to a friend about being crazy. He said “you’re not that crazy.” I proved him wrong and am mildly concerned I freaked him out😂

Aw, thanks! Maybe you shall someday. 🙂 Thanks again, and good luck to you, too!

You’re welcome and thanks!

Sure, I would like that! I’m…a terrible beta reader if you have a deadline. I’ve never actually tried beta reading, but I am NOT a fast reader. 🙂

👍
    I suck with deadlines, too. (Unless there’s chocolate on the line XD)don’t even have a deadline for finishing it😬 *realizes I probably should since I’ve been working on the first draft for two years*
    I haven’t either🙂. I am a fast reader, though, as you’re about to find out, I believe…

Any good?

I finished it last night (yes, I read over 50 chapters in two or three days😂). It was just fairly good for most of the book but I loved the end. There was one scene that was mildly inappropriate (young woman taking off her nightgown in front of the MC after they decided to marry). It was quite brief and didn’t say anything in detail though.
    Also, the writer did not sugar coat the brutality of the crusades so it got a little gory at one point. However, he used that brutality for the MC’s arc in a good way. It wasn’t like The Inheritance Cycle with “Freeze the sword to watch blood drip off it! … ok, back to the action.”
    I haven’t figured out what exactly I love about the end yet, but I just do😂. I handed it to my sister and stared at the wall, lol.

~Set the Stars Alight

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • The forum ‘Introduce Yourself’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest