fb

Hi!

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Abrielle
    @abrielle

Hello everyone! My name is Lydia. I enjoy writing fantasy and sci-fi for the most part, with occasional dabbles in the ‘real world’. When I’m not writing, I am generally reading (also fantasy and sci-fi, but I love a good historical fiction too). Also, I play violin, like to embroider, love tea, and I turned seventeen in January.

Since I don’t know that many writers in my area, I thought it would be fun to be part of an online Christian group, so here I am!

Do not be anxious about tomorrow; tomorrow will be anxious about itself.

Joshua Scheele
    @storysmith

@abrielle

Hi Lydia! I am Josh and welcome to the crew! We hope we can be a blessing to you and your WIP’s.

I am a huge fantasy and sci-fi fan. I am currently writing an ambitious WIP that starts off with fantasy but then turns into sci-fi, kinda like mixing Lord of the Rings with Star Wars. Lord of the Rings opened up my love for worldbuilding but it was the Redwall Series by Brian Jacques that made me love storytelling. My other favorite novels is The Inheritance Cycle, Stormlight Archives, and my top favorite space story The Skyward Series.

I would say Lord of the Rings has set my level of ambition of doing as much and more than Tolkien did for worldbuilding. However, the themes and my light humor for a dark world comes from Redwall.

When I was in high school, I started writing mainly for myself a chronicles of a knight, his squire, and a few men at arms that got separated during the battle of Agincourt and their journey back to England through the hostile French countryside.

I have always admired embroidering especially if it is of medieval design. Tea is always where it is at, I enjoy my mango or elderberry with plenty of honey.

What are your favorite books? Do you have a current WIP you are working right now? What books or things of life do you find influences your writing the most?

A real hero remains accountable until the end.

Sarafini
    @sarafini

@abrielle

Hi Lydia, I’m Sarafini (Sara). I write Sci-fi (a couple of my WIPs are in this genre) 1 fantasy/contemporary WIP, 4 Thrillers and I’m hoping to give His-fic and non-fiction a try. I will never write horror and the only romance will be on the side. I’m an adult homeschool graduate. How long have you been writing? What’s your favorite genre to write in?

Abrielle
    @abrielle

Hi Josh!  Hi Sara!

First off, I’ve got to say I love your booklist, Josh; I have read all of them except the Stormlight Archives, which I am looking forward to reading. Lord of the Rings is definitely my favorite book, the Redwall series is extremely nostalgic for me, and the Inheritance cycle and Skyward are both great fun. I am very much excited for Murtagh, Paolini’s next book. Other than those, I like any of Agatha Christie’s books, Howl’s Moving Castle, A Wrinkle in Time (plus the two books that follow it), and Greenmantle (by John Buchan). Dickens is my go-to classic author, though I am currently working my way through Anna Karenina.

I don’t quite dare aim to write like Tolkien; if I could get even halfway there, I think I’d be happy. I do seem to have a habit of emulating his extensive casts of characters though. Characters are my favorite part of writing; I get quite attached to them. Madeleine L’Engle (author of A Wrinkle in Time) was very influential on me in her love of beauty and joy. The Inheritance cycle gave me a love of the magical and inexplicable. (I love Brandon Sanderson, but his magic system, at least in Mistborn, is explained so thoroughly that it isn’t magic, it’s science.)

As for WIPs, the top one at the moment doesn’t have a name yet. It’s a (mostly) lighthearted fantasy with a plot that is nebulous in the extreme. It centers around a boy on a quest to find the Nim, an Otherworldly Being, before it gets found by hunters.

I’ve managed to get through the first draft of a children’s story about djinn triplets and a princess that they kidnapped. It needs some pretty big edits, so I’m a little intimidated and not sure where (or how) to start.

I have plans for other books, but I’m not actively working on them yet.

I started writing when I was twelve (before that, I hated it). Sara, I definitely agree with you on the horror side of things. I don’t think I’ve ever even read horror, and I don’t really want to. I’ve dabbled in romance, but it’s never the main interest. Mostly, I do it in response to all those books where the romance consists of “he touched me and IT TINGLED“.  I find that obnoxious. Also, I find this scenario annoying: Heroine knows two guys. One is nice, sweet, understanding, etc. The other has electric eyes that see through one’s soul, is dark and brooding, has a troubled past, and (oh, yes) his touch makes the heroine tingle. Guess who she falls for? NEVER EVER EVER the sweet one. It drives me nuts. Do you know how hard the brooding one would be to live with?

Anyways. Please excuse the rant.

What are y’alls WIPs about? Sara, what are some of your favorite books? Do you know of any good thrillers? I’ve not read many thrillers, but they look fun.

Hey, I’m homeschooled too! Though I’ve not graduated yet.

Is writing your career? I’ve been thinking about what I want to do after high school a lot recently, and while I’d love to be a writer some day, I’m not sure that I’ve got the maturity to write really well straight out of high school, you know? I think my ideal job would be as a librarian, or maybe as a college lit or English teacher.

Joshua Scheele
    @storysmith

@abrielle

Yess! I am dying to read Murtagh! I have not heard of those books before, they do sound intriguing. – adding them to my list

Dickens’s David Copperfield was a childhood favorite growing up.

Lol XD yeah Tolkien definitely sets a high bar. I may not be able to surpass him in everything but I am positive it will be at least 2/3rd’s and then mix that in with Brandon Sanderson worldbuilding and some new experimental ideas.

I need to check out Madeleine L’Engle as I want to make my story full of beauty and joy. I really enjoyed the fathomless depths of magic in The Inheritance cycle. However I appreciate the more scientific approach to magic or techno-magic that Brandon Sanderson uses due to its aptitude focus on technology and inventions.

Your WIP sounds full possibilities and intriguing. Is this more urban fantasy or high fantasy?

I have way too many other books planned out and they will all be connected to my universe as side stories. XD

I don’t like horror either but do think jump/scare scenes are great to mix in the book especially if your world has a lot of scary beasties. hehehehe

I have never written any romance before but I going to give it my best shot for a few characters in my WIP. So far I seem to be doing ok at as my writers think I have a decent knack for it. Must be those Hallmark movies I had to endure when I am hanging out at home with my mom. I find the slow burn romance arcs the most rewarding. My goal is to set a better standard of a godly relationship in Christian fantasy as many I have seen and know have chosen to use graphic details/sensual thoughts that honestly destroy or divert the focus of the story if they are trying to include Christian themes into it.

I can’t agree more on how annoying it is with those love triangles. There is like a science behind it why women choose the darker/ more likely to be trouble kind of guys than the nice ones. I read in several places online is that women feel those who are dark and brooding tend to be appear more sincere/genuine and not people pleasers. Just unfair that’s what it is! XD

Rants are always welcome here as this was a fun read.

My WIP in a nutshell of the first 1/3rd of the story starts off with a young princess exiled from home as her kingdom was overrun and massacred by an unknown force. She must regather her surviving friends and people to rebuild. It seems God is looking after her as she falls right into the right people she needs not just a few but a whole nomad army of them. Many of whom have pasts and histories some most surprising of them are with her family. She is young and has much to learn but she is willing to push herself to the brink of death to be what is needed for her people. A soldier, military commander, laborer, a friend, a diplomat, a voice of calmness and hope, a princess, but what about a queen or…empress. She honestly hates looking like royalty like she is a lawn ornament for boys to gawk at. She must unite the peoples of her world or face a onslaught of division and conquest that will either exterminate or enslave all she knows and loves. She must first discover and unearth the mastermind enemy plotting out her world’s demise.

I am also a homeschool graduate.

I would love to have a writing career. I hope to create a Christian entertainment business of storytelling through novels or roleplaying games. Like how cool would it be to play with friends as if you lived in middle earth as a side character in Lord of the Rings. I hope to create something like that with my novel series as my world itself is huge. Life has been slow with limited time and energy to get writing done after work with a full time job while living on your own. But the Lord knows how much I hope to write for a living.

A real hero remains accountable until the end.

Abrielle
    @abrielle

My WIP is definitely more high fantasy. I’ve not read a lot of urban fantasy, so I don’t have a great foundation for writing it. Not to mention that, in general, I prefer the country to the city. I’m especially fond of mountains.

Your WIP sounds like lots of fun! I think I’d enjoy reading it if/when it gets published. Do you hope to self-publish or traditional publish? Your MC’s character arc sounds interesting. I wish more main characters had an arc that actually involved becoming a better person. Most books I pick up in the YA section have MCs whose arc involves “look! I became a rebel! I’m a hero!” Sometimes I think it would be fun to write a satire on that kind of book.

A Lord of the Rings role playing game sounds like fun. I’ve done that kind of thing with my sister every once in a while and really enjoyed it.

Random side note, do you have siblings? I have three younger ones, two brothers and a sister. My sister writes too, which is fun ’cause we have a couple things that we work on together.

Oh, also, I love Madeleine L’Engle, but not all of her books are great. The Wrinkle in Time series is best, and I like the Wind in the Door best out of all of them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Introduce Yourself’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest