fb

Hi!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Josie M
    @josie-m

@rose-colored-fancy

That sounds amazing! That’s a great premise and I love your cast of characters! How many books are you planning in the series? What’s your favorite part of the project so far?

Thanks 🙂 I’m planning on seven books. Favorite part…well, I guess it would be the learning. It’s kinda weird, but we really can learn a lot about life while writing.

I’m working on a fantasy trilogy set in a setting inspired by Medieval North Africa. I’m on the second draft of the first book, the first draft of the second book, and the outline of the third book.

Africa? Cool! Most books are more inspired by European or Celtic cultures (guilty). What parts of the African culture inspired you? How does the culture show up in your story?

I drew my profile picture!

Really?! It’s so good! 🙂

Yayyy!! You know what HEMA is!! I usually get blank stares and after I explain I get a “How in the world did you end up doing that?” XD Getting started was kinda intimidating though, ngl XD

Haha! Yeah. Most people don’t know what it is. When I was talking to my sister about wanting to try it, she said I was a rare kind of nerd girl Lol Guess you are too 🙂

Currently nothing because of ✨the plague✨ but I was training with the longsword according to the manuals of Lichtenauer and Meyer (If I got that right XD) and Ringen/Medieval wrestling which was extremely fun. I just recently started so I haven’t gotten beyond the basics but it’s the best!

Ah yes. The plague 🙁 Longswords?! Sword fighting looks so fun!!! 🙂

You are never so broken to no longer grow;
    Never so wise that there's no more to know.

Josie M
    @josie-m

@storysmith

Exactly and another part to that is that lesson that I feel is most important, especially now, is what defines right and wrong, ourselves or a greater example.

Yes, very important!

Yeah I am not sure if they would be cute but definitely someone you want on your side both in peace and war. It is a lot of creatures/races with many sub-groups. My WIP is set up to be a long series with many side stories and it expands across the planet and eventually into space. It just felt fitting to have a good variety. XD

Space?! Okay, now I’m curious 🙂 What’s your WIP about?

Indeed! I am new to poetry. Do you have any resources or inspirations for your poetry?

Sorry, but not really. I learn most things through writing sites…like this one 🙂 For inspiration…anything can inspire, you just gotta keep your eyes open 😉 The Bible and nature often inspire my poetry.

I have always wanted to get into hema but no places are near me.

I know that feeling…

Where did you get your horse bow from? I have one too but it seems like it was not made well. Also what kind of arrows do you use?

I got it from Amazon. I haven’t shot it much yet, but it seems pretty sturdy. I use carbon fiber arrows (also from Amazon).

Nice, they are good. I prefer classical, soundtrack orchestra and folk music.

What kind of folk music?

I am starting with character sketches first but I aim to do more designing of objects are weapons, mechs, ships both sailing and space ships XD I also enjoy designing castles and fantasy/scifi cities.

Objects and weapons are so hard to draw! How good are you with them? My swords tend to look like they were designed by a five year-old XD

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@josie-m

Thanks   I’m planning on seven books. Favorite part…well, I guess it would be the learning. It’s kinda weird, but we really can learn a lot about life while writing.

Oh, absolutely. I’ve found I often end up writing the things I’m struggling with. It’s easier to work out your problems through three layers of metaphor and a character XD

Africa? Cool! Most books are more inspired by European or Celtic cultures (guilty). What parts of the African culture inspired you? How does the culture show up in your story?

Mostly the MENA region (Middle east and North Africa), and as I said, it’s a medieval setting.

So, the country has a tribal system with seven tribes (absolutely modeled after the twelve tribes of Israel XD) Each one rules themselves, but they often cooperate or clash.

A few of the tribes are based on the Amazigh and Bedouin nations, while some of the others have a more classical Alexandria feeling, and others have more Northern/Western influences, based on region, and there are tribes that are closer to sub-Saharan Africa. So, there’s a wide range because I didn’t want it to be one homogenous culture.

I used as much of the clothing, weapons, jewelry, food, and music as I could find for the different cultures, which was very fun but incredibly hard to research since the sources are in languages I don’t understand XD Because that area isn’t written about as much, researching is harder.

Besides that, the cultures do have some fantasy elements, partially because it’s fun to write and partially to glue the plot together XD

It’s generally more to the side of Historical Fantasy, it doesn’t have magic/special abilities or fantasy creatures.

Really?! It’s so good!

Thank you! It took a really long time since I don’t often draw animals, but I’m really happy with it!

Haha! Yeah. Most people don’t know what it is. When I was talking to my sister about wanting to try it, she said I was a rare kind of nerd girl Lol Guess you are too

Absolutely I am. XD LOL, everyone who gets into HEMA is a nerd XD You should hear the discussions we have while waiting beforehand or packing up afterward. Latin pronounciation, Carthiginian forces, Medieval France and dueling laws in the twelfth century, any historical show that came out, you name it. Everyone there is a history nerd. XD

If you get the opportunity to try it out, I highly recommend it! It’s incredibly fun!

Ah yes. The plague   Longswords?! Sword fighting looks so fun!!!

It IS!!! It’s awesome, I enjoy everything about it! It’s also great excercise, it’s the most exhausting sport I’ve ever done. (Which isn’t saying much though XD)

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Joshua Scheele
    @storysmith

@josie-m

Space?! Okay, now I’m curious What’s your WIP about?

I am attempting to start the story in a medieval fantasy/steampunk age that will progress over the time of story with the discovery of inventions and re-discoveries of technology that will progress to a star wars like era. It will tell the tale of a journey of survival and expansion to the stars in pursuit of peace and prosperity.

I got it from Amazon. I haven’t shot it much yet, but it seems pretty sturdy. I use carbon fiber arrows (also from Amazon).

Nice! I got mine from Amazon too

I like old country songs, the kind that existed before modern country music and also folk cultural music from other cultures. I enjoy history and find it fun listening to cultural folk music that have a historical importance showing the characteristics of the culture.

Objects and weapons are so hard to draw! How good are you with them? My swords tend to look like they were designed by a five year-old XD[/quote]

I used to be really good at designing blades because that is all I ever drew. However, I got rusty to where they do look 5 yr old drawings now. XD

“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the assessment that something else is more important th

Josie M
    @josie-m

@rose-colored-fancy

Mostly the MENA region (Middle east and North Africa), and as I said, it’s a medieval setting. So, the country has a tribal system with seven tribes (absolutely modeled after the twelve tribes of Israel XD) Each one rules themselves, but they often cooperate or clash. A few of the tribes are based on the Amazigh and Bedouin nations, while some of the others have a more classical Alexandria feeling, and others have more Northern/Western influences, based on region, and there are tribes that are closer to sub-Saharan Africa. So, there’s a wide range because I didn’t want it to be one homogenous culture. I used as much of the clothing, weapons, jewelry, food, and music as I could find for the different cultures, which was very fun but incredibly hard to research since the sources are in languages I don’t understand XD Because that area isn’t written about as much, researching is harder. Besides that, the cultures do have some fantasy elements, partially because it’s fun to write and partially to glue the plot together XD It’s generally more to the side of Historical Fantasy, it doesn’t have magic/special abilities or fantasy creatures.

That sounds really cool. All those cultures! 🙂

Absolutely I am. XD LOL, everyone who gets into HEMA is a nerd XD You should hear the discussions we have while waiting beforehand or packing up afterward. Latin pronounciation, Carthiginian forces, Medieval France and dueling laws in the twelfth century, any historical show that came out, you name it. Everyone there is a history nerd. XD If you get the opportunity to try it out, I highly recommend it! It’s incredibly fun!

Sounds fun! I wish I could try it, but the studio I found is like three hours away 🙁

It IS!!! It’s awesome, I enjoy everything about it! It’s also great excercise, it’s the most exhausting sport I’ve ever done. (Which isn’t saying much though XD)

Lol Yeah, that would be the hard part…why is exercise so hard?! XD

Josie M
    @josie-m

@storysmith

I am attempting to start the story in a medieval fantasy/steampunk age that will progress over the time of story with the discovery of inventions and re-discoveries of technology that will progress to a star wars like era. It will tell the tale of a journey of survival and expansion to the stars in pursuit of peace and prosperity.

Medieval…steampunk…Star Wars…I like the sound of this 🙂

I like old country songs, the kind that existed before modern country music and also folk cultural music from other cultures. I enjoy history and find it fun listening to cultural folk music that have a historical importance showing the characteristics of the culture.

Before modern country…you mean songs like “The Crawdad Song” or “Old Dan Tucker”? Those are fun 🙂 I like other culture’s folk too. You can learn about a culture through its music and art. Old folktales and legends can be fun too…and often rather odd XD

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@josie-m

That sounds really cool. All those cultures!

Thanks! Settings and cultures are some of my favorite things to write!

Sounds fun! I wish I could try it, but the studio I found is like three hours away

Aww, that’s such a pity! 🙁 That’s one of the things about America that I cannot wrap my head around as a European. It’s so big. If we drive for five hours in one direction, we end up in another country, and three hours means it’s on the other side of the country!

Lol Yeah, that would be the hard part…why is exercise so hard?! XD

Absolutely, it’s a disgrace! XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest