fb

Hi!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Josie M
    @josie-m

Hey everyone! I’m Josie. I’ve been using this site for years, and now I’m finally joining the forum. Yay, procrastination! Lol

About my writing…I write fantasy. I try to weave God’s truth into the stories. Common themes in my work are faith, courage, and following your God-given path. One recurring theme is that no one is ever so far gone that God can’t forgive them.

My work is heavily influenced by Narnia and Lord of the Rings. Elves, dwarves, and semi-anthropomorphic animals often make appearances in my stories 🙂 Of course, there are some original creatures too 😉

And poetry. I love poetry!

About me…Aside from writing, I’ve dabbled in a bit of everything but have mastered nothing Lol

I love art. I draw and paint, and have dabbled in digital art and editing. Music is never far away. I play guitar. I love archery and throwing knives (and I definitely do not fantasize about being an elf or ranger while doing so Lol).

You are never so broken to no longer grow;
    Never so wise that there's no more to know.

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@josie-m

Hey Joise! I’m Noah, glad to have ya!

What is the plot of your current fantasy WIP?

Another poetry lover! So, if I’m wanting to read some fantastic poetry, what book or author would you recommend?

Do you write much poetry? If so, what style do you use?

About me…Aside from writing, I’ve dabbled in a bit of everything but have mastered nothing

That sounds so much like me. I feel mediocre at everything. xD But hey, we’ll get better, I’m sure of it. 🙂

I love art. I draw and paint, and have dabbled in digital art and editing.

It seems that I continually meet people who love art, and here I am wishing I was also good at it and instead I’m absolutely atrocious at it. 🙃

What program/tool do you use to do digital art? Is digital and physical art about the same process for you? What kind of editing do you do?

Music is never far away. I play guitar.

Music is one of the prominent beauties and necessities of life. 🙂 What’s your favorite genre of music? How long have you been playing guitar? I started practicing it, but got too busy with other things. It is still on my list to learn though. I play a small oval shaped wind instrument called an Ocarina, much easier than the guitar, but I really enjoy playing it.

I love archery and throwing knives

I’m intrigued. How good are you with throwing knives? Do you use a recurve (medieval style) or compound bow?

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

DID SOMEBODY SAY THROWING KNIVES I NEED TO TALK TO YOU YOU ARE NOW MY FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem* Hi, I’m Cathy, I’m your new crazy friend, I like art and music and I wish I could do archery and knife throwing (although I used to catch kitchen knives to scare my brother…), I like singing and songwriting and drawing, idk if Noah’s actually a bad drawer or not because I’ve seen no examples of his work therefore it’s just his word and everyone knows the arts always hates his work 😉

But. Tell me more about knives I need pointy shinies!!!!

–awkward silence–

<3 😁

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Joshua Scheele
    @storysmith

@josie-m

Welcome to the crew!

About my writing…I write fantasy. I try to weave God’s truth into the stories. Common themes in my work are faith, courage, and following your God-given path. One recurring theme is that no one is ever so far gone that God can’t forgive them.

I really that theme. I am trying to weave morals based on God’s truth into my story and create godly applications. My chief theme is to teach how important it is to always do what is right no matter the cost.

My work is heavily influenced by Narnia and Lord of the Rings. Elves, dwarves, and semi-anthropomorphic animals often make appearances in my stories Of course, there are some original creatures too

Same here! Although I am doing something different for dwarves. I am using a badger like creature humanoid in their place. Beside men and elves, I have like 20 some original creatures  and races. XD

And poetry. I love poetry!

I am trying to learn how to write poetry so I can use it to make songs, mysteries, clues, puzzles, and stories within storytelling (if that makes sense).

I love art. I draw and paint, and have dabbled in digital art and editing. Music is never far away. I play guitar. I love archery and throwing knives (and I definitely do not fantasize about being an elf or ranger while doing so Lol).

I have been reigniting my passion for drawing so I can illustrate my characters and creatures. I absolutely love archery and prefer traditional primitive recurve bows. I want to learn the old ways of archery. I also have a personal armory of throwing knives, throwing hatchets, throwing spears, viking war axe, kukri, and viking two handed battle-axe. I only buy them hand-forged. I plan to make the walls of my home armed to the teeth. bahahaha XD

I am also learning piano and classical guitar.

Joshua Scheele
    @storysmith

@josie-m

What songs do you like play with your guitar? What do you like to draw the most?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@josie-m

Hi Josie! I’m Rose, pleased to meet you!

I write fantasy as well!

Those are awesome themes!! I really like the last one, I use it a lot too. I think another of my favorite themes is that despite darkness there is always goodness in the world, even if it seems to hide.

Do you have a WIP? What’s it about?

Oh, man, that’s the coolest!! 

I draw too, especially digital though I have done some traditional! And throwing knives and archery?? That’s the best! I’ve never tried either but they seem so awesome!

I’ve been doing HEMA for the past few months, which is honestly the best thing ever. Besides that, I sew, research random stuff for writing purposes, read, and play Celtic harp!

@storysmith

I also have a personal armory of throwing knives, throwing hatchets, throwing spears, viking war axe, kukri, and viking two handed battle-axe. I only buy them hand-forged. I plan to make the walls of my home armed to the teeth. bahahaha XD

The only correct interior decoration. XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Josie M
    @josie-m

@noah-cochran

What is the plot of your current fantasy WIP?

Right now I’m working on my reader magnet. It’s a short work and takes place two hundred years before the actual series. Basically, it just shows how the kingdom fell because of its wickedness.

I just finished editing (or at least a round of editing) the first book in a series. An ancient prophecy is coming to fulfillment that says a group of warriors will rise to rescue a kingdom from its tyrant king. But the warriors are the least likely people…and aren’t actually warriors. They are average folk save for their strange abilities called gifts. Though many consider them a curse. All gifted ones are hated, and therefore must hide their abilities to survive. The main character is a gifted one, and because of that she has bounty hunters breathing down her neck who will not hesitate to kill her family to get to her. On top of that, she finds out she is twice gifted, and with the gift of prophecy, putting her family in even more danger. Meanwhile, the warriors are gathering. An orphan from a broken home…a healer running from his past…a young man with a sorted past…and a recluse who hasn’t left his home in years. Not exactly a fearsome group, but the Creator often uses the weak. When the main character accepts her place among the warriors, she finds some of them have less than happy connections to her own past. The warriors will have to find faith to overcome their own weaknesses and troubled pasts to fulfill their destiny. Or the kingdom may never be freed.

What about you? Do you have a WIP?

Another poetry lover! So, if I’m wanting to read some fantastic poetry, what book or author would you recommend? Do you write much poetry? If so, what style do you use?

I honestly don’t get to read much poetry. The libraries in my area carry next to nothing…except for a little modern poetry that is confusing and lacks depth. But maybe you’ve had better luck finding good poets? Who would you recommend?

I always rhyme my poems. I use them a lot in my writing, usually in the form of prophecy.

It seems that I continually meet people who love art, and here I am wishing I was also good at it and instead I’m absolutely atrocious at it. 🙃

Maybe you just haven’t found your medium? There’s a whole world of types of arts to explore 🙂 What kinds have you tried?

What program/tool do you use to do digital art? Is digital and physical art about the same process for you? What kind of editing do you do?

I use Krita with a drawing tablet. Physical and digital aren’t extremely different…the basics of sketch are pretty much the same. But learning what all the digital brushes do, that’s the hard part! I’m better at physical art. I do photo editing. I’ve been practicing designing book covers so I can make my own 🙂

Music is one of the prominent beauties and necessities of life. 🙂 What’s your favorite genre of music? How long have you been playing guitar? I started practicing it, but got too busy with other things. It is still on my list to learn though. I play a small oval shaped wind instrument called an Ocarina, much easier than the guitar, but I really enjoy playing it.

My favorite types of music are CCM and Celtic. But I listen to everything from country to metal. 🙂 I’ve been playing guitar, off and on, for around fourteen years. Unfortunately, this is one of those off times 🙁 Business will get ya every time. I’ve never heard of the ocarina. I’m gonna have to look that up 🙂

I’m intrigued. How good are you with throwing knives? Do you use a recurve (medieval style) or compound bow?

I am terrible at throwing knives! But it’s fun, so…yeah. I try 🙂 My first bow was a compound, but I only use recurve now. I recently got a traditional Mongolian horse bow that I love! It’s a little different than modern American styles, but it is so cool looking! 🙂

Josie M
    @josie-m

@this-is-not-an-alien

DID SOMEBODY SAY THROWING KNIVES I NEED TO TALK TO YOU YOU ARE NOW MY FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *ahem* Hi, I’m Cathy, I’m your new crazy friend,

Hi Crazy Cathy! 🙂 I’m crazy too. We should get along nicely 🙂

I like art and music and I wish I could do archery and knife throwing (although I used to catch kitchen knives to scare my brother…), I like singing and songwriting and drawing,

What kind of art do you do? Oooh songwriting! That’s so much fun! Do you put music behind the lyrics? That’s the hardest part for me.

idk if Noah’s actually a bad drawer or not because I’ve seen no examples of his work therefore it’s just his word and everyone knows the arts always hates his work 😉

Very true…we are our own worst critic.

But. Tell me more about knives I need pointy shinies!!!! –awkward silence– <3 😁

Yes! Pointy shinies! I loves them 🙂 And throwing knives…well, I’m a total beginner. But I never miss the target…it just dodges my knives 😀 But…it’s still fun to try. I really only started because my sister gave me a set of knives last Christmas and since I have several characters who use them, I figured I may as well learn how to use them myself 🙂 BTW, they are much safer than kitchen knives!!!

Josie M
    @josie-m

@storysmith

I really that theme. I am trying to weave morals based on God’s truth into my story and create godly applications. My chief theme is to teach how important it is to always do what is right no matter the cost.

That’s an important theme…and relevant to today. Too often, people back down when what’s right comes at a cost. But it’s worth it, because we know God rewards those who stand strong for him.

Same here! Although I am doing something different for dwarves. I am using a badger like creature humanoid in their place. Beside men and elves, I have like 20 some original creatures and races. XD

Badger-people?! That sounds cute…or terrifying. I’m not sure 🙂 20 originals? Wow!

I am trying to learn how to write poetry so I can use it to make songs, mysteries, clues, puzzles, and stories within storytelling (if that makes sense).

Totally makes sense. I do the same thing. Poetry adds a little spice to stories…and can help show culture. I mean, what culture doesn’t have poetry/songs of some sort?

I have been reigniting my passion for drawing so I can illustrate my characters and creatures. I absolutely love archery and prefer traditional primitive recurve bows. I want to learn the old ways of archery. I also have a personal armory of throwing knives, throwing hatchets, throwing spears, viking war axe, kukri, and viking two handed battle-axe. I only buy them hand-forged. I plan to make the walls of my home armed to the teeth. bahahaha XD I am also learning piano and classical guitar.

Whoa! That’s an impressive collection! Can you use all of those weapons or are they more for decoration? Because what better decorations? 🙂

What songs do you like play with your guitar? What do you like to draw the most?

I like to play things like Casting Crowns and Chris Tomlin. What about you? Do you play classical on the piano too, or just classical guitar?

I mostly draw character sketches, but I also love landscapes…and ships…for some reason 🙂

Josie M
    @josie-m

@rose-colored-fancy

I write fantasy as well! Those are awesome themes!! I really like the last one, I use it a lot too. I think another of my favorite themes is that despite darkness there is always goodness in the world, even if it seems to hide.

That’s a good theme. I think we could all use the reminder that there is some goodness out there sometimes.

Do you have a WIP? What’s it about?

Do you mind if I quote myself? 🙂

Right now I’m working on my reader magnet. It’s a short work and takes place two hundred years before the actual series. Basically, it just shows how the kingdom fell because of its wickedness.

I just finished editing (or at least a round of editing) the first book in a series. An ancient prophecy is coming to fulfillment that says a group of warriors will rise to rescue a kingdom from its tyrant king. But the warriors are the least likely people…and aren’t actually warriors. They are average folk save for their strange abilities called gifts. Though many consider them a curse. All gifted ones are hated, and therefore must hide their abilities to survive. The main character is a gifted one, and because of that she has bounty hunters breathing down her neck who will not hesitate to kill her family to get to her. On top of that, she finds out she is twice gifted, and with the gift of prophecy, putting her family in even more danger. Meanwhile, the warriors are gathering. An orphan from a broken home…a healer running from his past…a young man with a sorted past…and a recluse who hasn’t left his home in years. Not exactly a fearsome group, but the Creator often uses the weak. When the main character accepts her place among the warriors, she finds some of them have less than happy connections to her own past. The warriors will have to find faith to overcome their own weaknesses and troubled pasts to fulfill their destiny. Or the kingdom may never be freed.

Do you have a WIP?

Oh, man, that’s the coolest!! I draw too, especially digital though I have done some traditional!

What sort of things do you draw? And what system? I use Krita, but its kinda slow…

And throwing knives and archery?? That’s the best! I’ve never tried either but they seem so awesome! I’ve been doing HEMA for the past few months, which is honestly the best thing ever.

HEMA!!! HEMA looks so cool. Glad to finally meet another girl who likes it 🙂 What weapons are you training with?

Besides that, I sew, research random stuff for writing purposes, read, and play Celtic harp!

I love Celtic harp! It’s especially good to listen to while writing 😉

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@josie-m

I just finished editing (or at least a round of editing) the first book in a series.
    That plot sounds really intriguing! How many books are you planning for the series? Are you writing it in third or first person? What’s your outlining process?

As you can see, my interest is very much sparked. 🙂

What about you? Do you have a WIP?
    I’m currently managing beta readers and beta reader feedback for a medieval action adventure stand alone novel I wrote, but my main WIP is medieval intrigue adventure series. I’m nearly done with the brainstorming and outlining for book 1 and the basic gist of the rest of the series. I hope to start writing it next week. The series follows a group of characters who are traveling around trying to find and stop a mysterious force that seems to be behind myriad events and conflicts throughout Europe (I need to work on my book blurbs, I know). It’s set in a historical time, but most events and characters are completely fictional.

But maybe you’ve had better luck finding good poets? Who would you recommend?

I always rhyme my poems. I use them a lot in my writing, usually in the form of prophecy.

Most of the poetry I’ve read has been in fiction books, and in the way you described it in your book. And yes, rhyming all the way.

What kinds have you tried?

I’ve pretty much only tried basic drawing and art, mainly because I would like to create art that I can then animate in some adobe program.

I do photo editing. I’ve been practicing designing book covers so I can make my own

Nice, do you use Photoshop?

But I listen to everything from country to metal. 🙂 I’ve been playing guitar, off and on, for around fourteen years. Unfortunately, this is one of those off times 🙁 Business will get ya every time. I’ve never heard of the ocarina. I’m gonna have to look that up

What’s your favorite country song and favorite metal song?

Yeah, most people haven’t heard the Ocarina. xD

What is your business?

I am terrible at throwing knives! But it’s fun, so…yeah. I try 🙂 My first bow was a compound, but I only use recurve now. I recently got a traditional Mongolian horse bow that I love! It’s a little different than modern American styles, but it is so cool looking!

The fact that you’re trying puts you above most of us. Keep it up, you’ll be that fantasy ranger someday. 🙃

Yeah, I’ve seen pics of those Mongolian bows, they are really cool. I’ve used a recurve bow a few times, I might get back into someday, they are fun to use.

idk if Noah’s actually a bad drawer or not because I’ve seen no examples of his work therefore it’s just his word and everyone knows the arts always hates his work

Trust me Cathy, I’m a bad drawer, like, it’s not even worth mentioning that I know what drawing is bad. But hey, if it’s not something I ever get into, I’ll just recruit one of the dozen people I know that are good at it. xD

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@josie-m

That’s a good theme. I think we could all use the reminder that there is some goodness out there sometimes.

I think I write it because I need to convince myself of it XD

That sounds amazing! That’s a great premise and I love your cast of characters!

How many books are you planning in the series? What’s your favorite part of the project so far?

Do you have a WIP?

I’m working on a fantasy trilogy set in a setting inspired by Medieval North Africa. I’m on the second draft of the first book, the first draft of the second book, and the outline of the third book.

What sort of things do you draw? And what system? I use Krita, but its kinda slow…

I use Krita too! *High five* I draw characters a lot, but drawing has been hard recently. I drew my profile picture!

HEMA!!! HEMA looks so cool. Glad to finally meet another girl who likes it   What weapons are you training with?

Yayyy!! You know what HEMA is!! I usually get blank stares and after I explain I get a “How in the world did you end up doing that?” XD

Getting started was kinda intimidating though, ngl XD

Currently nothing because of ✨the plague✨ but I was training with the longsword according to the manuals of Lichtenauer and Meyer (If I got that right XD) and Ringen/Medieval wrestling which was extremely fun. I just recently started so I haven’t gotten beyond the basics but it’s the best!

I love Celtic harp! It’s especially good to listen to while writing

Oh, it absolutely is!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Joshua Scheele
    @storysmith

@josie-m

That’s an important theme…and relevant to today. Too often, people back down when what’s right comes at a cost. But it’s worth it, because we know God rewards those who stand strong for him.

Exactly and another part to that is that lesson that I feel is most important, especially now, is what defines right and wrong, ourselves or a greater example.

Badger-people?! That sounds cute…or terrifying. I’m not sure 20 originals? Wow!

Yeah I am not sure if they would be cute but definitely someone you want on your side both in peace and war. It is a lot of creatures/races with many sub-groups. My WIP is set up to be a long series with many side stories and it expands across the planet and eventually into space. It just felt fitting to have a good variety. XD

Totally makes sense. I do the same thing. Poetry adds a little spice to stories…and can help show culture. I mean, what culture doesn’t have poetry/songs of some sort?

Indeed! I am new to poetry. Do you have any resources or inspirations for your poetry?

Whoa! That’s an impressive collection! Can you use all of those weapons or are they more for decoration? Because what better decorations?

Yep, but hatchets, throwing spears, and archery still need a lot of progress. Axes are easy once you become good at splitting wood or cutting down trees. I have also gotten into sword sparring with my friends. I have always wanted to get into hema but no places are near me. I like hand n half swords but single-handed swords like the gladius are my favorite.

Where did you get your horse bow from? I have one too but it seems like it was not made well. Also what kind of arrows do you use?

I like to play things like Casting Crowns and Chris Tomlin. What about you? Do you play classical on the piano too, or just classical guitar? I mostly draw character sketches, but I also love landscapes…and ships…for some reason

Nice, they are good. I prefer classical, soundtrack orchestra and folk music. I used to play piano a lot growing up but got rusty so I feel a bit like I am starting all over with the fundamentals.

I am starting with character sketches first but I aim to do more designing of objects are weapons, mechs, ships both sailing and space ships XD I also enjoy designing castles and fantasy/scifi cities.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Hi Crazy Cathy! 🙂 I’m crazy too. We should get along nicely 🙂

Perfect! I’m always on the lookout for a couple more crazy friends, crazy friends aren’t boring ;)!

What kind of art do you do? Oooh songwriting! That’s so much fun! Do you put music behind the lyrics? That’s the hardest part for me.

Usually Manga, I like foreshortening and energetic poses especially. I also do scenery but I have figured out how to do both in one picture yet without it looking like somebody’s ratty yarn yacked up by a cat 🙀 (this is my new favorite emoji btw XD) Here’s a sketch of one of my OTPs and a colored work of their world:

(well…I was going to but it won’t load…XD)

hbu? What kinda art do you do?

Do I put music behind the lyrics? LOL NO! Ok, lol, I haven’t yet, I have plans for it I have music for it it’s like my art I can do the instruments (kinda) and I can do the songs but I can’t do them both together yet; that’s my latest project with music for @storysmith’s story but I just recently was talking to one of my friends and she was like “oh I always wanted to do the background music for songs.” and I’m like “Perfect you’re hired!!!” idk where that’s gonna go but she’s top of her class in music she’s also twelve so…should be fun either way (:

But I do plan to learn how. Once I procrastinate it a little more 😉

Soo…what music do you play, do you ever record yourself, can I hear a sample of your work? *big puppy eyes that haven’t worked on @erynne or @noah-cochran or @rose-colored-fancy*

Very true…we are our own worst critic.

Uh-huh!

Yes! Pointy shinies! I loves them 🙂 And throwing knives…well, I’m a total beginner. But I never miss the target…it just dodges my knives 😀 But…it’s still fun to try. I really only started because my sister gave me a set of knives last Christmas and since I have several characters who use them, I figured I may as well learn how to use them myself 🙂 BTW, they are much safer than kitchen knives!!!

Me *eyes butterknives and the downstairs basement I can bedeck with pillows* Mmm, pointy shinies…

LOL, mean target you should go up and wack it on the head!

That is so cool tho!!! Awesome sister!!! Yeah my brother got my sister two katanas one Christmas and I’m so jealous 😂

Trust me Cathy, I’m a bad drawer, like, it’s not even worth mentioning that I know what drawing is bad. But hey, if it’s not something I ever get into, I’ll just recruit one of the dozen people I know that are good at it. xD

I want evidence if I’m to believe you’re a bad drawer I shalt not trust the judgement of the person who designed the art in question unless I see it with my own eyes. 😉

I think I write it because I need to convince myself of it XD

Oof I feel attacked by this!!

Yep, but hatchets, throwing spears, and archery still need a lot of progress. Axes are easy once you become good at splitting wood or cutting down trees. I have also gotten into sword sparring with my friends. I have always wanted to get into hema but no places are near me. I like hand n half swords but single-handed swords like the gladius are my favorite.

DWAAAAAAAHHHHHHH YES I COULDN’T FIND A HEMA NEAR ME EITHER!!!!

Also, THAT IS SO COOL I WANT HATCHETS, THROWING SPEARS AND A BOW AND ARROW AND SWORDS TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*But my mom won’t even let me buy a gun, it’s like she doesn’t trust me☹️…*

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Josie M
    @josie-m

@noah-cochran

That plot sounds really intriguing! How many books are you planning for the series? Are you writing it in third or first person? What’s your outlining process? As you can see, my interest is very much sparked. 🙂

Glad you like it 🙂 I’m planning on seven books…well, it was originally supposed to be a stand alone, but…that didn’t happen 🙂 It’s in third person. That way I can give a look into each of the more important characters’ minds. Outlining…yeah…I do that…Not really 🙂 I usually just write out random scenes/ideas and build from there.

I’m currently managing beta readers and beta reader feedback for a medieval action adventure stand alone novel I wrote, but my main WIP is medieval intrigue adventure series. I’m nearly done with the brainstorming and outlining for book 1 and the basic gist of the rest of the series. I hope to start writing it next week. The series follows a group of characters who are traveling around trying to find and stop a mysterious force that seems to be behind myriad events and conflicts throughout Europe (I need to work on my book blurbs, I know). It’s set in a historical time, but most events and characters are completely fictional.

Sounds interesting 🙂 Most are fictional? So there are real ones too?

I’ve pretty much only tried basic drawing and art, mainly because I would like to create art that I can then animate in some adobe program.

Animate…like into a show? Because there are programs you can use to design characters to animate without having to draw them.

Nice, do you use Photoshop?

Nope. I use an editor by Serif. It’s a little outdated, but the newer systems don’t seem to have improved much so…*shrugs*

What’s your favorite country song and favorite metal song? Yeah, most people haven’t heard the Ocarina. xD What is your business?

Hmm…favorites are hard to choose!!! I’ve always liked “Live Like You Were Dying” by Tim McGraw. For metal…I’ll go with “What I Believe” by Skillet. And no business. I meant busyness. Sorrys!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest