Hey There!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    E. Grace
    @emgc

Hello, everyone!

My name is Emily. I am an avid reader, artist, and occasional writer.Β  I also like taking long walks in the forest, and getting caught in the rain. πŸ™‚Β  I am a full-time music enthusiast, and play both piano and cello.

I like writing short stories, and although I currently haven’t written any novels, I am working on one now.

Anyway, it’s nice to meet you all!

God be glorified!

"True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less." - C. S. Lewis

Noah Litle
    @noahlitle

Hello, @emgc. I hope you don’t mind if I call you that. Welcome to Story Embers.

I am one of the less social voices on the Story Embers Forum. I hardly ever venture outside my guild. But that’s only because I like small crowds better.

Full time music enthusiast? I am also a pianist and music enthusiast. I don’t know if I would call myself “full-time”, but I do love learning about music theory on Youtube. Especially from Adam Neely, 12Tone, and Quarter-Tuned.

What do you like to listen to? I like movie soundtracks (especially Hans Zimmer), modern era classical music (the tonal music, not the a-tonal stuff) (especially Vaughan Williams, his Phantasy Quintet is my favorite), and just about anything else instrumental.

I write short stories too. I can’t hardly focus long enough to write anything really epic in length. πŸ™‚

I write fantasy and speculative fiction. But I love stories and not world building, so I would write any genera. I just like the freedom creating my own world gives me.

What genera do you write in?

What do you like to read?

p.s. I only know a little.

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

Hi @emgc! Me and my assistant, Aberdeen the Authorosaurus (he’s an ink-drinking, book-eating dinosaur), are happy to meet you! πŸ˜ƒπŸ¦–

What are your favorite things to draw? What medium(s) do you prefer to use?

I think dinosaurs are cooler than dragons. πŸ¦–

E. Grace
    @emgc

@noahlitle

Thank you!

Same for me.Β  I’m not really very comfortable around large groups.

Neat! How long have you been playing piano?Β  I’ve only been teaching myself for a little over 2 years, but I really enjoy it.Β  I also enjoy music theory, and writing my own arrangements.

Yeah, movie soundtracks are the best- I especially enjoy John Williams and John Powell.Β  Β Besides that, I can really enjoy a wide genre in music, though I mostly prefer instrumental.Β  The Piano Guys are probably one of my favorite groups… 😊

I mostly write fantasy and science fiction, but I’m also interested in trying other genres.

I like reading a lot of historical fiction, like works by G. A. Henty, and allegorical fiction/fantasy- like Chronicles of Narnia.Β  But I also like biographies when I’m feeling studious.

How about you?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by E. Grace.

"True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less." - C. S. Lewis

E. Grace
    @emgc

Hi @emgc! Me and my assistant, Aberdeen the Authorosaurus (he’s an ink-drinking, book-eating dinosaur), are happy to meet you! πŸ˜ƒπŸ¦– What are your favorite things to draw? What medium(s) do you prefer to use?

Hi! Nice to meet you… both!Β  πŸ‘‹

Well, I like drawing cartoons with my sister- especially of people and animals.Β  I’ve only been really into art for maybe these past couple years, so I’m not super good yet, but I am improving.Β  Lately I’ve been trying to practice semi-realism.

I mostly just do pencil sketches… I’m not very good with paint yet.

What about you?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by E. Grace.

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@emgc Hello! Welcome to Story Embers! I hope you like it here. πŸ™‚
    Yay for another artist! I don’t have a lot of experience under my belt either-I began drawing everyday around 3 years ago.Β  I too mostly sketch, and am only recently (the past 6 months) started experimenting with color. Have you ever tried watercolors? They’re kind of hard to get the hang of- but also really fun.
    If you have the time you should check out the artists of SE thread! That’s where people like to post their art.

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

E. Grace
    @emgc

@the-fledgling-artist

Thank you so much!

Yeah, I don’t do much with color because I just can’t get the shading right.Β  Another reason I appreciate cartooning. πŸ™‚Β  I’ve tried watercolors once or twice- didn’t turn out quite right.Β  I guess I just need some more practice.

BTW, did you draw your profile picture?Β  It’s so cute!

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@emgc Yeah I completely understand. I’m kind of forcing myself to use color more. πŸ˜€ I just don’t understand it yet.Β Do you ever like to draw your characters from your stories?
    Yes I did. πŸ˜€ It’s a (still unnamed) creature I made up for a story that I intend to illustrate. (Kinda like a comic)

E. Grace
    @emgc

@the-fledgling-artist

I do! It helps me to be able to describe them better.Β  Do you?

So do you mean like a graphic novel?Β  What’s it about- if that’s okay to ask?

J. Dekreel
    @dekreel

@emgcΒ  Hello, fellow instrumental-music-lover!! Welcome to Story Embers!

Do you have a favorite soundtrack? My favorite is the soundtrack for Planet Earth. Is SO GOOD! I also really like the soundtrack for the game Planet Coaster.

ENFP-T. Cartoonist, "half-writer", wolfish.
    Blog

E. Grace
    @emgc

@dekreel

Hi!

Yeah some of my favorites would probably be the How To Train Your Dragon soundtrack and The Chronicles of Narnia soundtrack.

But Hans Zimmer music is also amazing! 😊

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@emgc

Hey! Welcome to Story Embers!

I am afraid I really don’t have much time right now, but if you ever have a question, or just want to chat, hit me up! I enjoy writing, reading, music (I play the mountain ocarina), and sometimes I’ll scribble a picture.

Where are you in the sibling line? I am a fifth.

-Wordsmith- Author of short stories, Reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Noah Litle
    @noahlitle

@emgc

I’ve been playing piano for thirteen years now. I do my own arrangements too. I like to do hymns. They’re so open to harmonic interpretation. The Piano Guys are great. We have almost all their CDs and music books.

My favorite soundtrack changes every so often. My current favorite is probably Man of Steel, by Hans Zimmer. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, by Theodore Shapiro is really good too. And Sabrina, by John Williams. And Sherlock Holmes, by Hans Zimmer…

I’ll stop before I get too carried away. πŸ™‚ My favorite John Powell score would have to be Kung-Fu Panda 2, with Hans Zimmer. Shen’s theme (showing up inumerable times in Anchient China/the Story of Shen) is amazing. Maybe my favorite villain theme.

I like to read fantasy and speculative fiction. πŸ™‚ Big surprise, right?
    Ted Dekker is one of my favorites. And more recently, Brandon Sanderson. They’re both amazing storytellers. But my favorite storyteller is Christopher Nolan, the co-writer/writer/director of Inception, and The Dark Knight Trilogy. That’s probably one of the reasons I like Hans Zimmer so much πŸ™‚

@dekreel

Ya’ll should check out Patrik Pietschmann on Youtube. He has my favorite piano solo soundtrack arrangements. His Planet Earth 2 cover is amazing.

p.s. I only know a little.

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@emgc Yes, and no. See, most of the ‘writing’ I do is working on things that would be meant for a visual medium. It’s probably because I am dyslexic (or at least assumed to be) but I just do not enjoy writing- like as in prose. It’s so much work and it just stresses me out. So I don’t technically’write’ the way most people on SE do- most of the actual writing I do is like- the outlines and stuff. but yes I do draw my characters. πŸ˜€
    Yes, yes! Like a graphic novel. I feel odd calling it a comic- or a graphic novel though simply because I’ve never really read either and don’t completely understand what the difference is.
    What I have so far for the story is that there are two people who are betrothed to one another (Kind of cheesy I know.) and the girl gets caught up in the mess that the boy is in with some guys who kidnapped his friend and are using him to force the mc to steal a sword from a fantasy race (still very underdeveloped) who does not take kindly to being robbed. Oh did I mention this is fantasy?

Do you have any WIPs? (work in progress)

Oh yeah! I love the soundtrack for httyd 2 ! (My favorite animated movie)

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

Welcome to the site, @emgc! What’s the premise of the most recent short story you’ve been working on? πŸ™‚

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest