fb

Hey I’m new here

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hey I’m new here

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Hello, my name is Emily and I write. (Obviously). I write poetry, and also enjoy prose. Short stories are good things, and I am always working on some sort of novel.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@emily-waldorf

Hi Emily! I’m Rose, pleased to meet you!

I’m a stereotypical introvert (INFJ) who likes cats, coffee, books, and Edwardian hairstyles.

I write fantasy and try to wrangle my sassy characters! Do you have a current work-in-progress? What’s it about?

What genres do you read and write, and what are your favorite books?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Rose.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Mel
    @melodyjoy

@emily-waldorf

Hi Emily! My name is Melody. Glad to have you join us 😉

I don’t use Story Embers much… or write much, but those are both things I want to do wayyyy more 😛

I like reading, writing, macrame art, and the cello. I play the piano and the cello, and I love both!

Ooooh, you’ll have to share some of your poetry. I’m not as much of a poetry person, but my sister totally is.

If you have any questions or anything on Story Embers, don’t hesitate to ask!

~Melody

Life is short, smile while you still have teeth!

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Thank you, Rose! I bet you look great in Edwardian hairstyles, I’d love to see them.

I write rhymed poetry, slice of life and fantasy (not high fantasy though). What about you? as far as reading, I can’t fit it into a genre: anything well written, entertaining, and clean. I really like the classic authors, though.

My WIP is called “As Morning Comes”, and is in another world, but exactly the same physics etc as ours. It’s about Quin Miller, a young man with a peg leg, and his journey to overcome his shame, guilt and selfishness, and eventually find the people who love him in spite of, or perhaps even because, his disability. Thanks for asking. what about you?

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Thanks, Melody!

I play piano, too, and cello music is perfectly lovely. What are your favorite styles to play?

I’m afraid I don’t know what macrame art is. Perhaps you can show me sometime!

I actually have a piece of poetry on the Story Embers blog, if you or your sister is interested. It’s “The Stars are Singing”.

Thank you, I certainly will if I have questions. 🙂

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@emily-waldorf

Thank you, Rose! I bet you look great in Edwardian hairstyles, I’d love to see them.

Thank you! LOL, it’s mostly an excuse to strew bobby-pins in my wake XD

I write rhymed poetry, slice of life and fantasy (not high fantasy though). What about you? as far as reading, I can’t fit it into a genre: anything well written, entertaining, and clean. I really like the classic authors, though.

That’s awesome! I write fantasy, as I said before, I still haven’t figured out whether it fits into high or low fantasy XD It has no fantasy races or magic, but it’s set in another world. Kind of alternate history, I guess.

That’s also what I like to read, but I enjoy most genres. I love mysteries, some classics, historical fiction, some dystopias and sci-fi.

What are your favorite classic books? My favorites are Great Expectations, The Railway Children, The Secret Garden, and the Anne of Green Gables series.

My WIP is called “As Morning Comes”, and is in another world, but exactly the same physics etc as ours. It’s about Quin Miller, a young man with a peg leg, and his journey to overcome his shame, guilt and selfishness, and eventually find the people who love him in spite of, or perhaps even because, his disability. Thanks for asking. what about you?

That’s so awesome! Adjusting to disabilities is such a cool premise! I actually have an arc like that in my last book, and I’ve been worrying about it and doing as much research as I can get my hands on XD Quin sounds like a cool character!

I’ve been writing for about a year and a half, and I’ve written the first drafts of the first two parts of a trilogy. (I actually finished the first draft of book two a few days ago!) I first want to go back and do one or two revisions before I write the third book and edit everything again. (Repeat ad infinitum XD)

It’s a fantasy with the setting based on Medieval North Africa, which is just so much fun to write! The premise of the first book is that the princess of a desert tribe has to rescue her older brother after he was captured in a raid by an enemy tribe and she has to try to prevent a war.

What’s your favorite part of your WIP? I think my favorite part is my protagonist, Princess Liorah. She’s rebellious, bold, sassy and determined, and she’s just too much fun to write! I also really enjoy the setting and the side characters.

Do you have any hobbies besides writing? I’m a digital artist, I have two horses, one of which I ride, I sew, and I play the Celtic harp!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Brian Stansell
    @obrian-of-the-surface-world

@emily-waldorf

Well hello, Emily!

Welcome! Welcome! I am so glad that you are joining our band of brothers and sisters in the pursuit of creative expressions.

I am one of the “ancient ones” here, but don’t let that alarm you.  My Jedi skills are still being sorted out, and I still have very much to learn, even though I have been at it many, many years.  I am much taller than Yoda, with less ear hair, and I sometimes say things that are actually funny, but don’t often get the responses intended.  A big shepherd’s hook comes out from behind the thick red curtain and seeks to pull me off the stage, but I am getting good at dodging.  The boos and hisses are a little disconcerting, but so far the stage managers have promised to disarm the audience that comes into this theater from their bags of rotten fruit and vegetables.  I did get pinged by someone who threw a hazelnut at me, but so far no bruises. 😜
    Feel free to be yourself here.  There are no expectations other than those listed in the Forum Guidelines by the fine folks at Story Embers. Its the usual stuff of Christian decorum: No cussing, no eye-gouging, be uplifting and encouraging, don’t use the forum as a vehicle to market your paid services (no money-changers in the temple), don’t tag the universe (limit 12 disciples 😁), be constructive and helpful rather than critical and demeaning… that sort of thing.
    I have been wanting them to add no throwing rotten fruit, but they tell me that this is implied in the list. Penumbras is what I believe they said, but I think it should be more explicit.  They tell me that you can’t get hit by a rotten tomato over the Internet, but I am not sure about that.  There is a ketchup stain that got on my shirt somehow, and I am highly suspicious. 🤔😆

So check out the Forums and Groups.  You can join as many or as few as you like.  Start a Topic of your own, the same way you did here, or check into some of the other Topics out there.
    You will find a lot of fun people here that have skill levels and talents all down the spectrum from beginners to veterans of “foreign wars”.  Some are published, some are just writing because they are exploring the Gift God gave them.
    We write many kinds of things from poetry, short stories to novellas and grand epic novels that would rival Tolstoy’s tomes.  The consistent part of us is that we all seek to honor King Jesus, for He is the originator of all good things.  We tread in both light places and through dark valleys for we follow where our Good Shepherd leads us.
    Don’t be afraid to share the journey you are on, and some of the gifts God has invested in you.  Little is much in the Hands of our Lord.  If you are anything like me, I give Him my five loaves and fishes each day, no matter what I think about them being so small offerings among so many.  God builds massive trees from tiny seeds, all He requires is that we plant them.

My WIP is called “As Morning Comes”, and is in another world, but exactly the same physics etc as ours. It’s about Quin Miller, a young man with a peg leg, and his journey to overcome his shame, guilt and selfishness, and eventually find the people who love him in spite of, or perhaps even because, his disability.

“As Morning Comes” sounds like something I would love!  I write in many genres, (fantasy, sci-fi, mystery, comedy, adventure, poetry, thriller, animal stories, etc.) but my current focus is fantasy, and I am about where Rose is in her work with my current WIP.  My novel is online in my blog, and my MC has a terrible secret that debilitates him, even though he has no physical challenges.  My grandfather in real life did lose part of his leg to diabetic amputation, but he had a good perspective about it and named his prosthetic leg “Pedro” and sometimes would tease us by taking it loose and putting it in the chair with him with a hat on the foot.  He once let it come loose and told us “I think you’re pulling my leg. 😉”  He was a wise man on so many levels and I so miss him since he passed several years ago.  I think some of my humor comes from him.

I’ve been writing for about a year and a half, and I’ve written the first drafts of the first two parts of a trilogy. (I actually finished the first draft of book two a few days ago!) I first want to go back and do one or two revisions before I write the third book and edit everything again. (Repeat ad infinitum XD)

I would love to read your poetry:

I actually have a piece of poetry on the Story Embers blog, if you or your sister is interested. It’s “The Stars are Singing”.

Do you have a direct link to it that you could post here?

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
    I was born in war.
    Fighting from my first breath.

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@emily-waldorf

Hey Emily! Great to have you! How long have you been writing? I started this last June, and am currently working on my first novel.

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Hey, @rose-colored-fancy, sorry for the late-ish reply! I cannot figure out how you quoted me, so I put your quotes in quotation marks:

“That’s awesome! I write fantasy, as I said before, I still haven’t figured out whether it fits into high or low fantasy XD It has no fantasy races or magic, but it’s set in another world. Kind of alternate history, I guess. That’s also what I like to read, but I enjoy most genres. I love mysteries, some classics, historical fiction, some dystopias and sci-fi. What are your favorite classic books? My favorites are Great Expectations, The Railway Children, The Secret Garden, and the Anne of Green Gables series.”

Oh, yeah, you said that already–sorry. What are your favorite mystery authors? Have you read/heard of Dorothy Sayers? Even though I love a more classic style, I haven’t read many, unfortunately. I dearly want to read Great Expectations. I really like C.S. Lewis–oh, all of his books are so different and yet so the same I don’t know which is my favorite. I really enjoyed Till We Have Faces and That Hideous Strength. (besides Narnia, of course). I also really liked Jane Eyre, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and A Tale of Two Cities. I just read it a month ago and am re-reading it, I loved it so much.

“That’s so awesome! Adjusting to disabilities is such a cool premise! I actually have an arc like that in my last book, and I’ve been worrying about it and doing as much research as I can get my hands on XD Quin sounds like a cool character! I’ve been writing for about a year and a half, and I’ve written the first drafts of the first two parts of a trilogy. (I actually finished the first draft of book two a few days ago!) I first want to go back and do one or two revisions before I write the third book and edit everything again. (Repeat ad infinitum XD) It’s a fantasy with the setting based on Medieval North Africa, which is just so much fun to write! The premise of the first book is that the princess of a desert tribe has to rescue her older brother after he was captured in a raid by an enemy tribe and she has to try to prevent a war.”

Thanks! I hope he’s a cool character, but…yeah.

Do you do plots or characters better?

You write fast! That is so wonderful! Congratulations!! I don’t know what Medieval North Africa was like. Yes, editing goes on forever. I think I’m on the 4th edit of my novella. (my other WIP). Oooh, your book sounds so lovely! Great stakes you’ve got going on there.

“What’s your favorite part of your WIP? I think my favorite part is my protagonist, Princess Liorah. She’s rebellious, bold, sassy and determined, and she’s just too much fun to write! I also really enjoy the setting and the side characters. ”

Is Liorah a real name? What are your side characters’ names? Side characters are so much fun!! In my novella I have one of my all-time favorite characters, Pastor Luke Swan. He is unconventional, with a sense of humor and a rock solid faith…really a sweet guy, but he can be a little scary, too.

My favorite part in “As Morning Comes” would be…this will sound weird, but maybe the love triangle between some of my characters. Quin and Anika are together, but unbeknownst to Quin, Anika’s friend Natalya loves him, too. But it comes out in meanness, which will be interesting and challenging to write. I also love the character arc of Quin’s brother. But I haven’t written any of this yet, I’m still outlining it in my head. 🙂

“Do you have any hobbies besides writing? I’m a digital artist, I have two horses, one of which I ride, I sew, and I play the Celtic harp!”

Only a few ‘real’ hobbies, but I like reading, watching movies, playing games, playing piano, and writing letters. Celtic harp is beautiful! What made you alight on that instrument?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@emily-waldorf

sorry for the late-ish reply! I cannot figure out how you quoted me, so I put your quotes in quotation marks:

Don’t worry about it 🙂 For the quotation, I select your text, then click the ‘quote’ button on the upper right hand corner, then it should appear!

Oh, yeah, you said that already–sorry. What are your favorite mystery authors? Have you read/heard of Dorothy Sayers? Even though I love a more classic style, I haven’t read many, unfortunately. I dearly want to read Great Expectations. I really like C.S. Lewis–oh, all of his books are so different and yet so the same I don’t know which is my favorite. I really enjoyed Till We Have Faces and That Hideous Strength. (besides Narnia, of course). I also really liked Jane Eyre, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and A Tale of Two Cities. I just read it a month ago and am re-reading it, I loved it so much.

For mystery, I love Sherlock Holmes, of course 🙂 And I’m in the middle of my first Agatha Christie book, and really enjoying it so far! I also recently discovered the Flavia De Luce books and I really like them so far! The plot isn’t marvelous but the main character more than makes up for it. I really love her!

Dorothy Sayers… doesn’t ring a bell. *Looks it up* Ooh, I haven’t read any of those but they look really cool!

Ooh, if you liked Tale of Two Cities, you’ll love Great Expectations! It’s my favorite work by Dickens I’ve read so far, it’s awesome!

Thanks! I hope he’s a cool character, but…yeah. Do you do plots or characters better

He sounds awesome! I’m sure you’ll write him wonderfully! 🙂

Ummm…. Neither? XD I think I’m better at characters! My plots are pretty passable, but I enjoy characters a lot more. How about you?

You write fast! That is so wonderful! Congratulations!! I don’t know what Medieval North Africa was like. Yes, editing goes on forever. I think I’m on the 4th edit of my novella. (my other WIP). Oooh, your book sounds so lovely! Great stakes you’ve got going on there.

Thank you! <3 Well, I didn’t know either until I started writing XD I’ve been figuring it out and researching it as I go. I’m always amazed how much research goes into fantasy! I can’t imagine how much more it must be for historical fiction! Thankfully, I really enjoy researching things XD

Is Liorah a real name? What are your side characters’ names? Side characters are so much fun!! In my novella I have one of my all-time favorite characters, Pastor Luke Swan. He is unconventional, with a sense of humor and a rock solid faith…really a sweet guy, but he can be a little scary, too.

Yep! It’s a Hebrew name that means “Light upon me”.

Umm, side characters… the main ones are Ferran, a goldsmith who is constantly getting on bad terms with Liorah because he tells her when she’s being stupid, Gavril, her older brother and partner in crime, Sahar, her best friend who always has a few knives hidden under her frilly skirts, Acyn, the cynical best friend who would rather read than go on adventures, and Ziyad, who likes to make stuff blow up.

Yep, that’s most of them in the first book! They’re so fun! XD

Pastor Swan sounds awesome! He sounds like a character I’d really like 🙂

My favorite part in “As Morning Comes” would be…this will sound weird, but maybe the love triangle between some of my characters. Quin and Anika are together, but unbeknownst to Quin, Anika’s friend Natalya loves him, too. But it comes out in meanness, which will be interesting and challenging to write. I also love the character arc of Quin’s brother. But I haven’t written any of this yet, I’m still outlining it in my head.

Ooh, that sounds awesome! That’s such a cool dynamic! Unpopular opinion, but I only dislike love triangles when they’re about “oH, nO, how shall I choose between these two incredibly similar people? I’m going to worry about it for three books.” When it’s something deeper and more conflicting like you’ve got, it has a lot more potential!

And outlining things in your head is an excellent place to start!

Only a few ‘real’ hobbies, but I like reading, watching movies, playing games, playing piano, and writing letters. Celtic harp is beautiful! What made you alight on that instrument?

Oh, that’s so awesome! What are your favorite movies? I really love old musicals, Singing in the Rain is one of my favorites!

Umm, I don’t actually remember. XD I’m pretty sure, “That sounds cool” was a pretty instrumental part in the decision-making process XD But I really enjoy it! How long have you been playing piano? What are your favorite styles to play?

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Hey Emily! Great to have you! How long have you been writing? I started this last June, and am currently working on my first novel.

Hi Noah! I don’t know how long I’ve been writing. I must have started when I was like, 8 or 10, but I finished my first real prose work in 2016. What’s your novel about?

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

For mystery, I love Sherlock Holmes, of course 🙂 And I’m in the middle of my first Agatha Christie book, and really enjoying it so far! I also recently discovered the Flavia De Luce books and I really like them so far! The plot isn’t marvelous but the main character more than makes up for it. I really love her! Dorothy Sayers… doesn’t ring a bell. *Looks it up* Ooh, I haven’t read any of those but they look really cool! Ooh, if you liked Tale of Two Cities, you’ll love Great Expectations! It’s my favorite work by Dickens I’ve read so far, it’s awesome!

Ah, yes: Holmes. I have a board game based on him…

I’ve never read Agatha Christi, but my family owns a ton of her books. Dorothy Sayers is kinda the same way: plot is meh, but her characters! If I were recommending one, I’d recommend the Lord Peter/Harriet Vain ones. (But get a summary of the first book and then skip it,  b/c it’s essential but rather sordid). Do you prefer Holmes’ short stories or novels?

I hope so! Dickens is a marvelous author.

Ummm…. Neither? XD I think I’m better at characters! My plots are pretty passable, but I enjoy characters a lot more. How about you?

Yeah, me too. I think I do better at plot, but the plots and characters are so intertwined, it’s hard to separate them!

I only dislike love triangles when they’re about “oH, nO, how shall I choose between these two incredibly similar people? I’m going to worry about it for three books.” When it’s something deeper and more conflicting like you’ve got, it has a lot more potential!

I KNOW! That’s irritating. Thank you!

Oh, that’s so awesome! What are your favorite movies? I really love old musicals, Singing in the Rain is one of my favorites! Umm, I don’t actually remember. XD I’m pretty sure, “That sounds cool” was a pretty instrumental part in the decision-making process XD But I really enjoy it! How long have you been playing piano? What are your favorite styles to play?

The Lawrence Olivier Hamlet, Disney’s older That Darn Cat, 1956 Anastasia, Candleshoe. I like older movies, lol. Do you watch many movies?

That is so cool, though! What sorts of things does one play on Celtic harp?  I’ve taken piano lessons for 6-ish years. Now I teach it to beginners. I like to play…things that are simple and pretty, but not too simple. I’m very hard to please. 🙂

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Welcome! Welcome! I am so glad that you are joining our band of brothers and sisters in the pursuit of creative expressions.

Thank you for the warm welcome, Brian!

I am one of the “ancient ones” here, but don’t let that alarm you.

The boos and hisses are a little disconcerting, but so far the stage managers have promised to disarm the audience that comes into this theater from their bags of rotten fruit and vegetables. I did get pinged by someone who threw a hazelnut at me, but so far no bruises

Don’t worry: age and status don’t change much: people are still people.

I can see why they would be disconcerting. You should be able to find some Jedi skills that dispense with tomatoes etc. entirely, and throw those shepherd’s-crook-wielding maniacs off their guard.

My novel is online in my blog, and my MC has a terrible secret that debilitates him, even though he has no physical challenges. My grandfather in real life did lose part of his leg to diabetic amputation, but he had a good perspective about it and named his prosthetic leg “Pedro” and sometimes would tease us by taking it loose and putting it in the chair with him with a hat on the foot.

What is your novel about? Does it have a name?

Your grandfather sounds like he was a wonderful person! I only wish I could have met him.

I would love to read your poetry: Do you have a direct link to it that you could post here?

Thank you! I think I can do that…here

calidris
    @calidris

@emily-waldorf hello Emily!  It’s nice to meet you 🙂  Your WIP sounds really cool!  I don’t do contemporary fiction, but I like to add more mundane/contemporary fiction elements to my fantasy/dystopian project (I feel like it gives it more heart).

*laughs as one fey*

Brian Stansell
    @obrian-of-the-surface-world

@emily-waldorf

Hi Emily,

Thank you for posting the link to your poem. I loved it! You are very gifted.

What is your novel about? Does it have a name?

Yes.  It has a main title (Excavatia) [sounds similar to King Arthur’s famous mystical sword] and each of the four planned books have a distinctive subtitle. (You’ll remember the same was true of the 3 parts of “The Lord of the Rings”)

My WIP is a fantasy series and I have already completed the drafts of the first two.  The underlying issues in my novels are representative of a conflict of worldviews (philosophies of world governance).  These are represented as warring kingdoms who are in a tenuous balance and bid for power.  There is an ancient prophecy at the core of the land that involves a “Mysterious Marker Stone”, and stolen “Dominion” crown with three Virtue Jewels that must be returned to the bezels and settings in that crown, to open a gateway in which the Prophecied King will return to rule and dispose of the Old Kingdom strongholds that have terrorized their lands of “The Mid-World”.  The gateway is the portal to the High King’s Kingdom, called Excavatia, a term meaning “Hidden Kingdom” to those who still hold to the ancient belief in the promised prophecy.  The man-made kingdoms are Xarmni (represented by a system blend of socialism/communism) and a brutal rule by “might make right” for the good of “the collective”.  Their brother kingdom, for which they have had a lifelong feudal war, are the “Capitalians” representing commercial power unchecked, which have a more liberating approach, yet liberty without true reverence for an external truth, but yet a token nod to it.  The other kingdom is a pantheistic kingdom which are called the “Half-Men”, ruled under “The Pan” who is half-man half-ram and is over twleve-feet tall, but blinded by his obsession with returning to the upper world from which he and his transformed followers of fauna/flora/fish were banished several millenia ago when they (descendants of Cain) tried to barter with Jehovah over removing the “wanderer” curse on their ancestor Cain.  The MC and his group are comprised of 21 strangers pulled out of Earth time to this mysterious “Mid-World” place to participate in the Virtue stone quest to restore the crown’s jewels to bring it about.  The whole story is representative of the pursuit of Lordship that begins at the point of conversion in the human soul.  The oppressive kingdoms are representative of the powers, principalities, and rulers of darkness, and strongholds that beset and pull at a Christian to distract them from seeking first the Kingdom of God.  This story also has supernatural creatures in it as well that are representative of what in our known world are “the unseen”.

The MC is an unlikely guide dealing with the possible reasons why he, in particular, was called back into “The Mid-World” to lead the twenty other strangers (“Surface Worlders”) on this quest. For he was one of two people in the former quest mission (of 14 total “Surface Worlders”) who betrayed it and their company in a failed attempt to challenge “The Pan” directly.  He has no allies, save a young child and the hope of salvaging the strained relationships of the few members of his former company who has remained in the Mid-World.

Because the “Surface World” characters are all called out of different parts of “Earth time”, (though some of them may be contemporaries), I am able to blend the understandings of many different people and backgrounds from different times in our world’s history.

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
    I was born in war.
    Fighting from my first breath.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest