Hey hey

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@joshuapior that’s great! Congrats on an almost one-year blogging anniversary!

I mainly write fantasy, bordering on high fantasy some of the time. I do a bit of sci-fi, dystopian, and contemporary when I write short stories though. As for reading… it’s all over xD Last week I was reading Brandon Sanderson, and this week I’m reading Louisa May Alcott, and I think that combination sums up my reading tastes pretty well.

What are some of your favorite books?

~ Khylie
    "Beauty will save the world." - Dostoevsky

joshuapior
    @joshuapior

@morreafirebird Anything by Frank E Peretti is a big win for me. I hate picking favorites, but if I did, he’d top the list as an author. I’ve been expanding my palette with YA lately, reading a lot of books like I Am Number Four, Unwind, Dear Evan Hansen, Mortal Engines … It’s not a genre I’ve read extensively in before, but it’s been an interesting hobby.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by joshuapior.

“Writing is an exploration. You start from nothing and learn as you go.”

- E. L. Doctorow -

Caseybold
      @caseybold

@joshuapior That would be so cool! Most of the places I’d like to travel to are in Europe as well, but it’d be awesome to go just about anywhere. I’m learning Korean now and would probably go to South Korea first, given a choice of anywhere and the funds and time to do it lol. Korean culture is fascinating to me, and the way they arrange their thoughts in language is so different and interesting. Do you know any other languages?

I'm nobody, Who are you? -Emily Dickinson 뜻이 있는 곳에 길이 있다.

joshuapior
        @joshuapior

@caseybold gotta say learning Korean sounds ambitious! I studied French and Spanish at different times in high school, but I’m not conversational in either (especially by now).

Asian languages always seemed like a much tougher hurdle to me, since you have to learn not only the words themselves, but also a new alphabet and syntax as well. I’m curious, what’s an example of how Korean would arrange a sentence differently?

- E. L. Doctorow -

Caseybold
          @caseybold

@joshuapior The different alphabet does complicate things. I studied French and Spanish (and a little Italian, and Greek lol) in high school too. I love languages. The biggest problem for me is deciding to study just one language long enough to make some meaningful progress.

Korean sentence structure is similar to Latin and the romantic languages. It’s usually Subject – Object – Verb, or Subject – Adjective. The thing about the order that appeals to me is that it’s so precise. There are rules that are always followed, like every Korean verb and adjective ends in “다”. I mean it in the most complimentary way, but Korean to me sounds very analytical, like a computer language almost lol. All the poetic meaning of it comes in with context and the levels of formality used. I just love the subtle meaning changes with slight arrangements of the same basic words.

Like you can ask “Are you sleeping?” just by saying the word sleep “자?” with a questioning intonation.

I’m probably not making much sense and I know not everyone is as interested in this as I am, so I’ll stop rambling now lol, but yeah 🙂

joshuapior
            @joshuapior

@caseybold that’s fascinating, I never knew any of that. It makes perfect sense. I guess that means that your signature is Emily Dickinson’s quote in Korean, then?

- E. L. Doctorow -

K.M. Small
              @morreafirebird

@joshuapior I’ve heard a lot of good things about Frank E. Peretti’s works. I’ve yet to read any, but I hear This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness are phenomenal.

It was great meeting you! See you around in the forum!

~ Khylie
              "Beauty will save the world." - Dostoevsky

Naiya Dyani
              @naiya-dyani

@caseybold @joshuapior *randomly jumps in* Heeey, I love languages, too! 😀 I dipped my toes VERY briefly into Korean, but was scared off by the “pronouncing OOH ten different ways” factor! 😅 I’m into Japanese myself right now. It only has five vowel sounds, which I greatly appreciate! I can handle the crazy “three different alphabets” bit a lot more easily than worrying that I’m accidentally calling someone a pig when I mean to say they’re nice, just because I missed the pronunciation by a little! 😀 Maybe someday when I’m a little braver I’ll try it again, though!

Was there anything in particular that got you into Korean, or did it just randomly pique your curiosity?

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Elisha Starquill
                @elisha-starquill

@joshuapior – Lol, what can I say? Chocolate is for mortal peasants. 😛

I’ve been attempting lots of things, mainly portraits of the cast from LoTR (because I’m familiar with their faces xD) and animals. I love concept art too! My dream is to one day draw my own characters and fantasy landscapes, but right now I cannot draw anything without a reference.

I love all of them, honestly, but Russia and the UK were extra special for me. Something about the atmosphere in Russia, especially outside the cities, felt so freeing, so invigorating, as if I could do anything. The people were also incredibly friendly, kind, and eager to help out. In the UK, my imagination literally took off. Everywhere we went, every little stone and flower, inspired flames of stories. No wonder so many brilliant authors were from there!

I haven’t traveled much inside the US. Have you? If you have, what are some of your favorite states to visit and why?

Also, I saw that you like Frank Peretti. ME TOO. I think I’ve devoured all of his books. xD Do you have a favorite?

INFJ ➳ Trinstamentalist ➳ Thalassophile ➳ Chocolate Hater ➳ Daughter of God

Caseybold
                @caseybold

@joshuapior Actually no 🙁 I tried to find a Korean translation of that quote and couldn’t. The Korean in my signature translates to “Where there’s a will there’s a way”, another favorite quote of mine 🙂

@naiya-dyani I started out with an interest in anime, which got me interested in Korean Dramas. I’m also into some video gaming, and in competitive video gaming South Korea’s a big figure. Korean Dramas introduced me to the culture, and from there I fell in love with the country, and decided to learn the language. I’d love to live in Korea for 6 months or a year or something and just really immerse myself 😀 Japanese is beautiful! How long have you been studying the language?

joshuapior
                  @joshuapior

@elisha-starquill Yes, I’ve seen most of the US through road trips and frequent movings 😂 I really loved visiting Vermont—definitely the prettiest state in New England. California is always a favorite of mine too, politics and traffic aside.

Sweet, another Peretti fan! I feel like I always get blank stares when I mention his books, so it’s awesome to meet someone else who understands what I’m talking about 😂 My fave would be This Present Darkness, of course, but I also love Prophet, Nightmare Academy, and the Cooper Kids series, not to mention all the rest (I can’t do favorites).

I have to ask you, what do the words in your signature mean?

- E. L. Doctorow -

Elisha Starquill
                    @elisha-starquill

@joshuapior – Yes, same with me! Thus my over excitement that you actually know about him. xD

A thalassophile is a lover of the ocean, and a trinstamentalist is – in addition to being a word I made up – someone who plays three instruments (in my case, piano, guitar, and violin.) I’ve always adored discovering rare words and creating my own. 😀

INFJ ➳ Trinstamentalist ➳ Thalassophile ➳ Chocolate Hater ➳ Daughter of God

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest