Hey hey

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    joshuapior
    @joshuapior

I’m tempted to just leave a link to my “About” page and duck into the next room. (Talking about myself has never been a strong suit and I’ve already worn out my backspace key just on this one post.)

But I should be polite, so here’s a little about me:

• I’ve been a writer since birth. Like literally, the nurse found a pen in my tiny baby hands and decided to let me keep it. When I turned two, I upgraded to a typewriter, and the rest is history.
      • I’m an artist who could never commit to making a career from said art. I’d like to think I could have, but never bothered to prove it. I did land my current job as an editor/motion graphics designer, though, so I kinda-sorta proved it.
      • I’m twenty-three. I’m positive I left the last two years around here somewhere …
      • I’m wordy on introductions once you really get me started.
      • I’m a blogger next door at Jeune Authors, which is not unlike Story Embers—a blog for Christian writers, specifically young writers, who are serious about writing a novel. I started writing at a young age myself (as stated before) and wanted to create the resource I so desperately wanted when I was sixteen, so my blog practically started itself. Lately, it’s provided me with the thrilling pleasure of meeting many other young Christian writers, so I couldn’t be more excited about what’s to come.
      • I’m an INTP, which is a polite way of saying I’m too logical for my own good.
      • Travel is my secret passion, which I someday hope to make unsecret and downright obvious.

Gonna stop myself there and get to know you guys better. Can’t wait to meet you 🙌🏼

“Writing is an exploration. You start from nothing and learn as you go.”

- E. L. Doctorow -

Urwen Starial
      @urwen-starial

@joshuapior, Hi! Nice to see you on Story Embers, you can call me Urwen. Story Embers is great, I’ve only been on here for a little while, but I’ve enjoyed it a lot. What kind of things do you like to write about?

"Jin, don't you like the stars?"
        “No, I hate the stars, they remind me of how small we are."

joshuapior
        @joshuapior

Hey @urwen-starial. I write adventure fiction within whatever genre strikes my fancy. Lately, I’ve been developing a YA thriller that has heavy urban fantasy elements, which has been stretching me quite a bit. Thrillers fascinate me, but actually writing them is a new area for me that I’m having fun exploring. What about you?

- E. L. Doctorow -

DeepRun
          @deeprun

@joshuapior

Welcome.  I’ve not been here terribly long either but it’s been great.

Thrillers are wickedly hard.  Bravo for going for it. There is also an art section on the forum too.  Gathering dust currently but there.

I have a non writing question though, what is a motion graphics designer?

You do not have a soul. You have a body.
          You are a soul. - C.S. Lewis

Elisha Starquill
          @elisha-starquill

@joshuapior – Hi Joshua! Welcome to Story Embers. What kind of art do you like the most? I’ve recently rekindled my love for it, starting off with some basic pencil drawings. I’m really enjoying it so far. I love to travel too! I’m blessed to have an international family, which has given me a lot of opportunities to see the world.

I’ll be checking out your blog. Looks like something a young writer like me could really benefit from. 🙂

INFJ ➳ Trinstamentalist ➳ Thalassophile ➳ Chocolate Hater ➳ Daughter of God

joshuapior
          @joshuapior

@deeprun hi, thanks for the welcome! To answer your question, motion graphics design is the creation of animated elements for video like titles, infographics, logos, and even characters. The work I do usually involves product or text graphics, but I’ve gotten a chance to do a lot of animated characters as well!

- E. L. Doctorow -

joshuapior
            @joshuapior

@elisha-starquill I was going to say thanks for the welcome, but then I noticed you were a Chocolate Hater and now I’m wondering whether you’re even human … jk 😂

That’s cool that you’re into art as well! What kind of things have you been drawing? To answer your question, I’m currently fascinated with concept art—especially in film—and my specialty is drawing people, landscapes, and cartoons.

I’ve never gotten the chance to travel internationally … what are some of your favorite countries to visit and why?

- E. L. Doctorow -

K.M. Small
              @morreafirebird

@joshuapior welcome to Story Embers!

Well, I did end up tracking down your about page on your blog, so I guess I got a double intro from you. I have to say: your blog is AMAZING. I may have accidentally ended up reading it for an hour and becoming very inspired for my new WIP. 😀 I also really enjoyed the Author Personality Type quiz. I’m a hybrid myself, though I used to be convinced I was a Planner. How long have you had your blog going?

~ Khylie
              "Beauty will save the world." - Dostoevsky

joshuapior
              @joshuapior

@morreafirebird you have no idea how happy I am that you spent an hour on my blog. To think it’s worth an hour of your time is an honor, really.

Jeune Authors been going for almost a year, now (gasp!). My goal is to connect with other similar blogs and begin reaching a broader reader base, but for now it’s pretty small 🙂

What kind of writing are you into? Do you read the same genre that you write in, or do you have a different reading interest?

- E. L. Doctorow -

Caseybold
                @caseybold

@joshuapior Your blog looks really cool! I started reading and will definitely come back for more 😀 Your introduction is awesome too. Makes me feel a little lame by contrast lol.

Where would you most like to travel? I’d like to travel. I’ve moved around a lot (6 moves in the last 5 years . . . ) but never outside the U.S.

What are your favorite mediums/types of art to do? I dabble a little but pretty quickly realized I don’t have the desire to make a career out of it. Still draw and paint for fun though 🙂

Nice to meet you!

I'm nobody, Who are you? -Emily Dickinson 뜻이 있는 곳에 길이 있다.

DeepRun
                  @deeprun

@joshuapior

Thank you for answering my question.  I’m a traditional artist but recently went digital.  It feels like playing whack-a-mole; every time I think I’ve got it figured out and know what I’m talking about or doing, something springs up.

joshuapior
                  @joshuapior

@caseybold thanks so much! Nice to meet you too.

Six moves in five years is pretty crazy 😂 It can be fun to move to other states, but six times is definitely a lot haha. I’ve never traveled outside of the US either (unless you count the Canadian side of Niagra Falls). My travel experience is limited to having visited most of the continental states, but I really want to see England, France, Italy … heck, and the rest of Europe too. What about you?

The majority of my drawings are done in pencil or pen, but I think I’ve used every other medium there is at some point. I’ve actually done a lot of digital artwork lately, which is basically any medium you want it to be. I mostly draw people, but I’ve sketched and painted a fair bit of landscapes and such as well.

- E. L. Doctorow -

joshuapior
                    @joshuapior

@deeprun yeah, digital is tricky! Although the fact that you’re a traditional artist first means you have a huge advantage over those who started in digital. I tend to see digital as just another medium, so if you have a solid understanding of how to paint or draw physically, you’re already ahead of the game in digital work. What have been your particular challenges? Are you into painting or drawing more? ‘Cause for me, painting is always super tough by any standard 😂

- E. L. Doctorow -

DeepRun
                      @deeprun

@joshuapior

Yes, I can’t imagine taking up digital art without having any traditional training or background.  It actually is still unnerving how accurately it replicates traditional materials.

What’s funny is that the painting isn’t difficult for me.  What gets me is taking a rough sketch into decent linework.  It’s getting easier but I get so frustrated with cruddy looking linework, I tend to paint over the whole thing.  I’d really like to achieve a more illustrative/graphic novel look but it’s slow going. Totally backwards but true.  My end goal is to illustrate my current work in progress.  I’m still searching for the right look and style.  I think it’s the technical end that defeats me.  I know what I want, I can do it in real life but then I have to spend two hours googling how to make the same line on a digital tablet.

Also, I was thinking, the art page on the discussion board has been pretty vacant.  Since Inktober.  Anyone up for doing art?  I see everyone here mentioned they dabble.

joshuapior
                      @joshuapior

@deeprun that’s an awesome idea. I had no clue there was an art page, I’ll be checking it out!

- E. L. Doctorow -

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest