fb

Hey everyone!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hey everyone!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    skyburne001
    @skyburne001

(enters through blue portal)

Hey everyone!

I joined Story Embers a little while ago but haven’t introduced myself yet. (bows) My name is Joseph Ely, a 22-year-old college student pursuing a BFA degree in Graphic Design and minor in Creative Writing. My love for stories and the written word began with reading the Kingdom Series by Chuck Black. Ever since then, I devoured Christian literature. My interest in writing started to explode in my heart, followed by a passion to tell stories that glorified God. I’ve written multiple poems, a few short stories, and a novella. I’m currently writing my debut fantasy novel, Oath of Shepherds, which I hope to publish in December 2019. I am beyond excited to join this community and tribe of other Christian writers! Keep up the good work and persevere in the faith!

(exits through the blue portal)

Writer and Warrior.

J. Dekreel
    @dekreel

Welcome to Story Embers, @skyburne001!! Great to have ya! 😀

What are some of your favorite books? Are you a coffee person? What do you like about graphic design? (I’m considering going into graphic design myself. . .)

ENFP-T. Cartoonist, "half-writer", wolfish.
    Blog

skyburne001
    @skyburne001

Thank you, @dekreel! My favorite books are hands down the Sword of the Dragon Series by Scott Appleton. The characters, plot, and world are so unique! I highly recommend that series. What are your favorite books?

I am not a coffee person. lol I prefer Mt. Dew anyday! 🙂

What I love about graphic design is the ability to create visually appealing content for readers and writers. I plan on pursuing a career in book publishing (cover and layout design), so I am excited to grow in my artistic skills.

Writer and Warrior.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

Hey @skyburne001 and welcome!

Yay! Another poet! What kinds of poems do you like to write? Where do you find inspiration? Who are your favorite poets?

J. Dekreel
    @dekreel

@skyburne001  I haven’t read that series yet. I suppose I’ll add it to my unnecessarily extensive list of books I need to read. ;-P

Yeah, I’m more of a Dr. Pepper gal myself. I quite dislike coffee.

I love that, too. I’ve been telling stories with pictures all my life, so graphic design might be something to consider. That sounds cool! 😀

ENFP-T. Cartoonist, "half-writer", wolfish.
    Blog

Parker Hankins
    @parker

Welcome!!!! I love Chuck Black!!!!!

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@skyburne001 Welcome to Story Embers! 😀 What exactly is graphic design? I have a vague idea, but is it like designing graphics for websites or book covers? Or are the graphics already designed, and then you use them to design websites and book covers?    
    Are you going to join a guild? 🙂

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

skyburne001
    @skyburne001

Thank you, @the-fledgling-artist! I’m new to graphic design, so I’m still learning how the process works. But you are right, it does involve designing graphics for websites and book covers. It also involves creating logos for brands and companies, designing book layouts (both exterior and interior), using or creating typography (as well as text placement on a book), and creating posters for film, events,  etc. Most of the time, you design your own graphics but then there are other times you can team up with another illustrator or use other graphics. Whew, that was a lot! But so far, it’s so much fun and I really enjoy learning about it.

And yes, I applied to join a guild! Can’t wait!

Writer and Warrior.

skyburne001
    @skyburne001

Thank you, @parker!

Writer and Warrior.

skyburne001
    @skyburne001

Thank you, @evelyn! I write mostly lyrical poems. A huge inspiration is the Psalms. Ironically, I haven’t read too many poems from others to pick a favorite. lol I usually write poems to express my worship to God and to help me understand the wonderful truths of Scripture. What poems do you write? What’s your inspiration too? And who’s your favorite poet?

Writer and Warrior.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@skyburne001 That’s really neat!

I’ve been trying to write a variety of poems, lately. For example right now I’m trying my hand at sonnets. Normally, however, and for the majority of the poems I write, I stick to free form or the basic ABAB kind of rhyme and meter. And then my poems are usually about whatever is on my mind. 🙂 As to a favorite poets, I would say either Tolkien, A.A Milne, or Emily Dickenson, and then also Shel Silverstein.

So you mentioned you like to graphic design and write, what other things do you like to do? And which year of college are you?

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@skyburne001 Cool! How long have you been learning about graphic design?

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest