Hey everyone!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hey everyone!

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  E. Grace 3 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Ethan Mitchell
    @ethan-mitchell

Hey everyone! I just joined and thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself. My name is Ethan, and I’m a 19 year old who loves to write and has been inspired by a sea of great works, namely those of J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. My favorite genre to write, and also to read, is fantasy. When I’m not working or writing, I enjoy playing the viola, flinging arrows down range, or reading. I’m also prone to lose myself in a good video game every once in a while. I hope that, with help from you all, I can become a better writer tomorrow than I am today, and I’m excited to be a part of a community that places such value on the Christian message.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Bama Rose
      @bama-rose

@ethan-mitchell

Hello! Welcome to Story Embers! Are you planning on joining a guild sometime?

I love reading too, but lately, I haven’t made much time for it.

Is a viola a smaller version (and higher pitch) of a violin? Or is it larger and lower? I can’t remember. I play flute and piano, mainly. I tried picking up a violin for a few weeks, but it didn’t go very far. 😝

How we walk with the broken speaks louder than how we sit with the great. -Bill Bennot

S.F. Dekreel
      @dekreel

Welcome to Story Embers, @ethan-mitchell! Do you know your MBTI type? What sort of video games do you like?

ENFP-T. Cartoonist, "half-writer", wolfish.
      Blog

I, David
      @i-david

@ethan-mitchell Knaphello, friend! And a fellow Fantasy forger, at that, I see. Very good. X)

"Lately, I've been- I've been thinking... I want you to be Happier... I want you to be Happier."

anne_the_noob14
        @anne_the_noob14

@ethan-mitchell Welcome and hello! My name, or at least my name on SE, is Anne. I’m 14 and looking forward to getting my drivers’ permit and then license as soon as I’m old enough. I also write and read fantasy. I’ve dabbled in piano and guitar, and archery, but I don’t have a very good bow to shoot yet, can’t get the hang of chords on the guitar, and don’t have enough time to practice the piano. I do have a 223 that I like shooting, and I’ve been hunting with it a few times. I haven’t shot anything yet, but I really want to get something this next season.

And then a few questions 😀

What’s your current WIP (work in progress) about, if you have one, and if you don’t mind my asking?

Favorite song? Favorite book? Favorite movie? Favorite ice cream flavor?

I’ve found that people tend to ask me the same questions back that I asked them, so… My favorite song (at the moment, at least) is High Hopes by Panic! At The Disco. My favorite book is Airman by Eoin Colfer. My favorite movie has gotta be Princess Bride OR The Greatest Showman, which I just saw recently. And my favorite ice cream flavor is moose tracks. With all the caramel and toffee bits I think it is. I haven’t had it in FOREVER. And if you really wanna know what my current WIP is about… *laughs* It’s long and complicated to explain… I’ll tell you if you really want tho. XD

@theinconceivable1 We should check and see if Ethan is a fan of you-know-what, don’t you think? 😉 I’ll let you do the honors, my friend. *makes sweeping bow towards Ethan*

"“Who are you?" "No one of consequence."
        "I must know." "Get used to disappointment.”
        #P!ATD

Ethan Mitchell
        @ethan-mitchell

@bama-rose Not for sure about the guilds yet, I haven’t looked into them much. As for the viola its larger and lower. I probably wouldn’t have went far with it without lessons. It’s definitely easier having someone to teach you!

Ethan Mitchell
          @ethan-mitchell

@dekreel One of my friends typed me as INFJ if I can remember right. The video games I like are, for the most part, open world, like Skyrim. I also enjoy fast paced competitive games, like Rocket League.

Bama Rose
            @bama-rose

@ethan-mitchell

yes, that’s believable! 😋 It would be fun to try it again (maybe with a teacher this time).

How we walk with the broken speaks louder than how we sit with the great. -Bill Bennot

Ethan Mitchell
            @ethan-mitchell

@anne_the_noob14 My current WIP is an allegory actually. I’ve been experimenting with short stories since I canned my latest in a long line of book ideas, none of which took off (due to my lack of self discipline). I’ve started so much stuff that I never finished, I just wanted to finish something already! So I just finished my first short story, its about a missionary, but its also sort of an allegory. Anyways, I’ve started working on my next one, a full fledged allegory, focusing on the themes of depravity, humility, and pride.

I have quite a few favorite songs, but the one I would choose right now is The River by Garth Brooks. Favorite book has to be All Quiet on the Western front, even though my favorite genre is fantasy, nothing has quite moved me the way that book did. Favorite movie is Gladiator (although probably not suitable for your age group haha). And favorite ice cream flavor is cookies n’ creme or cookie-dough.

I haven’t done much gun hunting, but I’m planning on going out this year with my recurve. Hopefully I’m good enough with it by then. I like High Hopes, it’s a great catchy song! Never read Airman, or anything from Eoin Colfer. I’ll have to look him up. I’ll gladly hear about your WIP, if you’d like to share it.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  Ethan Mitchell. Reason: Wrote anne's tag wrong

E. Grace
              @emgc

Hello and welcome to the site, @ethan-mitchell!  (Love your name, btw.  I have a book character named Ethan. 🙂 )

It’s nice to meet a fellow strings player! Have you ever played in an orchestra?  I play cello in orchestra and it has been a lot of fun. 🙂  How long have you been playing?

Do you have any favorite music artists?

Your WIPs sounds really neat.  🙂 I love allegory. I’ve written a few allegorical short stories— a lot of them revolve around the theme of trust, as that’s something I’ve been learning a lot about lately.   Besides that, I mostly write fantasy/ urban fantasy, but I’ve also dabbled in contemporary and science fiction, and a little speculative fiction.  How long have you been writing?

Anyways, it’s great to meet you!  Hope to see you around the site. 🙂

"May the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, O LORD..."

Ethan Mitchell
              @ethan-mitchell

Nice to meet you too @emgc! And yes I have played in an orchestra. My teacher was the director for an orchestra at a local private school, so she brought me into it. It was a pretty cool experience! I’ve been playing for around 5 years now. How long have you been playing?

Just like my favorite songs, I have quite a few favorite music artists, though, I think my all time favorite is The High Kings.

I’ve been writing since I was 10, but I haven’t been very dedicated to it. There has been quite a few times where I’d just stop writing altogether, but I always got back to it. Now I have plenty of experience starting WIPs, and not near enough experience making them finished. I’ve got one under my belt now though, and I’m motivated to keep going. How long have you been writing?

theinconceivable1
                @theinconceivable1

@ethan-mitchell: Ah well tis a pleasure to meet you eathen but, you see, there is only one question whos awnser I truly must know *lets the dramatic sentence build the tension* “who are you?” (hehe, @anne_the_noob14 gets it!) but really, are you a fan of the greatest movie to ever exist (aka the princess bride) or not?!?

(INTJ) “Murdered by pirates is good!”

Violet
                @pookiemonster

@ethan-mitchell Hi there!

I literally  just added “All Quiet on the Western front” to my Goodreads  “To Read list”.  lol

I dabble in drums. Just for fun , definitely not orchestra level.

I play video games as well. Mainly Minecraft and Halo. I spend way more time reading though. 🙂

What’s your favorite fantasy books?

@theinconceivable1 LOVE that movie. 🙂 Planning on reading the book this year.

Just remember to... Trust in God, Stay Safe, and Eat Doughnuts 🍩🍩

Ethan Mitchell
                @ethan-mitchell

@pookiemonster You’ll love All Quiet. It’s one of the few books that has made me tear up.

Quite a while ago my friends and I would play Minecraft constantly! We don’t play it nowadays, but it was one of our favorites.

I’m working my way through The Wheel of Time right now. They are some amazing books! A couple more of my favorites have been The Ranger’s Apprentice and The Inheritance Cycle.

@theinconceivable1 That movie is a classic!

anne_the_noob14
                  @anne_the_noob14

@ethan-mitchell I totally understand about not ever finishing anything… oog. I have literally almost 30 unfinished short stories saved to my hard drive…

Garth Brooks has some nice songs. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of The River tho. I’ve never heard of the book and movie you mentioned, and OMG YES COOKIES ‘N CREME IS AWESOME 😀 😀

Cool, cool. Ah, so my WIP… It’s a pretty cliché fantasy book about a guy named Kiel Gomenoife (don’t ask where the name came from. When I started this I had a thing for long, complicated names, and it just stuck XD ), who does all the regular, cliché stuff heroes do, like fighting bad guys, fighting monsters, saving people, etc. It needs a lot of work, but some parts of it are really good, even speaking from the author’s standpoint. Some of the cooler parts include:

He ends up falling in love with his pretty sidekick, Hazel, as they’re trying to find her long-lost dad, but keeps denying that he likes her. (which gives me some pretty funny scenes to write)

He gets lost in the late Cretaceous period and almost gets eaten by a t-rex. (I finally get to write a scene where not everything goes perfectly for Kiel at all times)

He meets up with some Italian-speaking leprechauns. (I get to practice my Italian reading/speaking/writing skills 😀 )

@theinconceivable1 *stares at you in dismay* I see. You’re once again testing my quoting skills… However, I believe, you overlooked the fact that I have the quote as my signature *smirks*

@pookiemonster My brother and I love Minecraft!

"“Who are you?" "No one of consequence."
                  "I must know." "Get used to disappointment.”
                  #P!ATD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

Signup Source

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest