fb

Hey, everybody!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hey, everybody!

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    KingdomFire7
    @kingdomfire7

So do you have some of that real nice filming equipment like overhead sound systems and big cameras that move?

XD I meant make YA movies when I grow up– we just bought a 700-? dollar camera which is small but really nice. Haven’t used it for filming yet. Thus far we’ve used a tiny little camcorder with sadly very bad audio. But it could’ve been worse. XD

Right below the youtube video on the right side there is a rectangular, red button that says ‘subscribe.’ Hit that and it should work. 🙂 Have you ever done any writing contests?

Ah, yep!

Entered any writing contests? Yep- uh 4? Didn’t place in any of ’em. XD And I think I can tell why on all of them. (tho technically one contest hasn’t had the results in yet so I’m still hopin’ xD)

You?

Everyone has a choice; but how will we make the right ones?
    (hint: God ;))

KingdomFire7
    @kingdomfire7

Characters are amazing because they grow beyond you and suddenly you’re completely out of control and you can just document the mess they make XD Plot is always hard, just the general coming up with ideas part especially. But when you get that one glorious idea and it all pulls together, it’s the best feeling in the world XD What kind of plot structure do you use? Do you plot or pants usually?

XD yes i love it when that happens. That makes sense. I mostly use a rough three-act structure. Actually, I usually pants (with maybe a rough outline), but now I’m learning that it’s important for me to know the background info ahead of time. Bc otherwise it’s hard for everything to really make sense. 😂 But I still love pantsing.

Huh, that’s fascinating! It vaguely reminds me of two books I’ve been planning to read, which are set on an alternate Venus, which is covered with tropical jungle. Unfortunately, they haven’t been translated yet, so I don’t have the English names, but the Dutch names are “Torenhoog en mijlen breed” and “Ogen van tijgers” (“Tower-high and Miles Wide” and “Eyes of Tigers”) both by Tonke Dragt.

Oh, cool! I once read a Venus-set book written in like the 50s or something. It was fun but pretty cheezy- they tacked “space” in front of everything just like the Jetsons. XD it was kind of ridiculous XD

Ha, I might be biased but characters who are a headache are my absolute favorite kind XD He sounds like a lot of fun to write! It’s interesting about his hand as well! I have a character whose right hand got paralyzed through an injury in the second book. He’s one of my absolute favorite characters.

XD He- well, he actually was almost no fun at all for a while bc he’s not only a jerk but he talks so little! He just glares and is always thinking of escapes. This next go-round I’m hoping I’ll be able to make him a bit more fun. XD Oh, cool! For some reason it seems like that character’s name starts with an “L”. I have no idea why I think that. 😂

“Greenscreen” is one of my most frequent comments XD The worst instance I ever saw was where the green reflected onto one of the actress’s hair, it looked very-low quality XD Weak acting bothers me to no end XD

Oooh, yeah. Ouch. XD You can always see the green in our movies, but for some weird reason I don’t notice it much. Maybe that’s bc it’s just unprofessional and I expect it to look like that, or maybe it’s just bias. XD

Thank you! I didn’t start picking up themes until I was about halfway through the second book, but then they were everywhere XD I have exactly one main character (One of the narrators in book 2) who is from a happy and functional family. She spends half her time being extremely worried about everyone else XD There are a couple of side characters too, but apparently, I decided that if my characters were going to have families they’re going to have to pull their weight in creating conflict XD

You’re welcome! Yeah, they really are! I love also creating symbols and things- actually every single chapter of my novel is supposed to be based around a symbol…. hmm.. XD

Oh, that’s awesome. XD

It’s incredible I love it so much XD I stink at it too but I love every second of being terrible XD

Oh, yesssss. XD

I haven’t ever tried to write anything in Latin, I’m afraid I’d be rather awful at it XD I did a lot of translating during my studies, which becomes a lot more bearable when you can make fun of all the writers. I think my favorite was Ovidius. I did a lot of the Metamorphoses, which were pretty interesting and not too complicated. I also had to do some of the Aeneas, which was… terrible to be frank XD Martialis was fun too!

Oh, wow! Yeah, I haven’t read any of the classical authors. So you’ve got a big leg up on me there! XD

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@kingdomfire7

Entered any writing contests? Yep- uh 4? Didn’t place in any of ’em. XD And I think I can tell why on all of them. (tho technically one contest hasn’t had the results in yet so I’m still hopin’ xD) You?

Are the contests about quality of writing or word count?

I haven’t joined any official ones. Are there any that you would recommend?

KingdomFire7
    @kingdomfire7

Are the contests about quality of writing or word count? I haven’t joined any official ones. Are there any that you would recommend?

Quality of writing, though they do (some of them) I think have wordcount limits. But it’s not like NaNoWriMo or anything.

Recommend? Um, the Kingdom Writers Guild has a flash fiction contest every season (the spring one’s over but the summer one should be comin’ up in like August or something? idk), and that’s been fun!

I’m trying to try the Story Embers contest, which looks like it could be cool- if I finish in time and am $20 entrance fee-proud of my work. XD

If you complete the OYAN course, you can always enter their contest for free, which is cool (they post all entries on one of their pages[unless you don’t want them to] so anybody can read your stuff even if you didn’t place, which is nice).

Ragnarok
    @ragnarok

Hi @kingdomfire7

You can only come to the morning through shadows: Tolkien

KingdomFire7
    @kingdomfire7

Hi, @ragnarok ! Love your profile pic!

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@kingdomfire7

Um, the Kingdom Writers Guild has a flash fiction contest every season (the spring one’s over but the summer one should be comin’ up in like August or something? idk), and that’s been fun!

Where can I find information on that one? It’s far past time that I took part in a writing contest. xD

KingdomFire7
    @kingdomfire7

Where can I find information on that one? It’s far past time that I took part in a writing contest. xD

XD It’s on this website: Kingdom Writers Guild
    The info on the summer contest won’t come out until the Spring one is completely over, but if you become a guild member (it’s free- all you have to do is be a Christian and like writing XD:D), you can check out the info on all the past contests and stuff. Hopefully that helps? XD

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by KingdomFire7.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@kingdomfire7

XD yes i love it when that happens. That makes sense. I mostly use a rough three-act structure. Actually, I usually pants (with maybe a rough outline), but now I’m learning that it’s important for me to know the background info ahead of time. Bc otherwise it’s hard for everything to really make sense. 😂 But I still love pantsing.

That’s cool! I use fifteen-beats structure, it works well for me, but I’m very much a plotter. I tend to start with a rough outline, break that down into chapters, and then before each chapter I write out everything like a script before actually drafting it. It’s a lot of extra work but it makes my drafting time a lot less, so it works out!

Oh, cool! I once read a Venus-set book written in like the 50s or something. It was fun but pretty cheezy- they tacked “space” in front of everything just like the Jetsons. XD it was kind of ridiculous XD

LOL, that’s hilarious XD Sometimes objectively bad books are just fun to read.

XD He- well, he actually was almost no fun at all for a while bc he’s not only a jerk but he talks so little! He just glares and is always thinking of escapes. This next go-round I’m hoping I’ll be able to make him a bit more fun. XD

That’s hilarious XD I have characters like that, they’re frustrating because you have to drag personality out of them XD

If you want to try out some things with him in development, here on SE there are threads called the Character Castles! They’re essentially roleplays you use to develop your characters. They’ve helped me immensely since you can’t control everything that happens and you can try out different things without having to write it for a long time. I’m in Castle 2.0, which has been stagnant for a while but will probably revive again soon!

Oh, cool! For some reason it seems like that character’s name starts with an “L”. I have no idea why I think that. 😂

Nope, his name is Aydin XD He’s one of my favorite characters I’ve ever written. Also the most traumatized but let’s ignore that (I say as though I had nothing to do with it)

Oooh, yeah. Ouch. XD You can always see the green in our movies, but for some weird reason I don’t notice it much. Maybe that’s bc it’s just unprofessional and I expect it to look like that, or maybe it’s just bias. XD

Yeah, but it’s also different when you’re filming something yourself versus when you’re actually paying to watch a movie made by professionals XD

You’re welcome! Yeah, they really are! I love also creating symbols and things- actually every single chapter of my novel is supposed to be based around a symbol…. hmm.. XD

That’s a really interesting idea! I’ve never tried that out!

Oh, wow! Yeah, I haven’t read any of the classical authors. So you’ve got a big leg up on me there! XD

They were unfortunately part of the curriculum XD I still consider it something of a miracle that I passed the exam XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

XD It’s on this website: Kingdom Writers Guild
    The info on the summer contest won’t come out until the Spring one is completely over, but if you become a guild member (it’s free- all you have to do is be a Christian and like writing XD:D), you can check out the info on all the past contests and stuff. Hopefully that helps? XD

Thanks man, I’ll check it out.

KingdomFire7
    @kingdomfire7

That’s cool! I use fifteen-beats structure, it works well for me, but I’m very much a plotter. I tend to start with a rough outline, break that down into chapters, and then before each chapter I write out everything like a script before actually drafting it. It’s a lot of extra work but it makes my drafting time a lot less, so it works out!

Oh, cool! What’s a 15 beats structure? Yeah, when I’ve done the chapter by chapter outline I end up with better results, it seems. XD

LOL, that’s hilarious XD Sometimes objectively bad books are just fun to read.

Very true! XD

That’s hilarious XD I have characters like that, they’re frustrating because you have to drag personality out of them XD If you want to try out some things with him in development, here on SE there are threads called the Character Castles! They’re essentially roleplays you use to develop your characters. They’ve helped me immensely since you can’t control everything that happens and you can try out different things without having to write it for a long time. I’m in Castle 2.0, which has been stagnant for a while but will probably revive again soon!

Oh, yeah! On another writing Forum we called them “Character Development Lounges” (CDLs). I might join! but with me job comin’ up I’m not so sure how much time I’d have to get into it. XD

Nope, his name is Aydin XD He’s one of my favorite characters I’ve ever written. Also the most traumatized but let’s ignore that (I say as though I had nothing to do with it)

Aw, rats. XD But cool name! XD

Yeah, but it’s also different when you’re filming something yourself versus when you’re actually paying to watch a movie made by professionals XD

True! Also our greenscreens are actually kind of meant to sometimes be greenscreens in the movies themselves so yep. XD

They were unfortunately part of the curriculum XD I still consider it something of a miracle that I passed the exam XD

Yeah, ouch. XD good thing you’re past it now I guess. XD:D

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest