fb

Hey, everybody!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hey, everybody!

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    KingdomFire7
    @kingdomfire7

Hi, guys!

I’m Noah, and apparently have no nicknames. (two-syllable names are tricky to shorten. I mean if you tried with “Noah”, what would you get? No, Nah? Not very catchy)

I love language, love film, love writing, love theme, and love God! My favorite part of writing is theme and characters.

I’ve written one novel (Fight for the Soul of Orelia– I like it but it needs some work lol), and my current WIP is, well, I haven’t started it because I got halfway through and I was like: “Uh-oh: this thing is so boring.” So I redid the plot and now I like it lol. Now all that remains is to write it….

I love Ireland, too (never been there), and somehow almost all my WIPs seem to involve Ireland or Irish characters lol.

I really like Story Embers so far! the articles and downloads have been super helpful.

I’m pretty talkative, so feel free to chat with me! really about anything lol.

I’d love to become a filmmaker, maybe be a novelist for a few years before that. idk, whatever God wants.

Well, guess that’s it. God bless! ;D

• This topic was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by KingdomFire7. Reason: italics all wrong xP

Everyone has a choice; but how will we make the right ones?
    (hint: God ;))

Brian Stansell
    @obrian-of-the-surface-world

Hi Noah (@kingdomfire7),

Welcome to the Story Embers Forum.  Feel free to poke around and use the dropdown in the top far-right corner to see what’s going on in the forum under recent activity.

My name is Brian.  I’m kinda one of the older ones out here.  Not “Gandalf” old or anything, but not “Pippin, Merry or Frodo” young either.  Sort of more in the Aragorn age bracket.  Perhaps been a little too long out as a Ranger, but anyway, enough about that.

I hope you like it here and make lots of good friends.  We are a supportive group.  Each of us has our own little quirks, but that is what makes us interesting I hope.  We are all serving King Jesus and seek to honor Him first and foremost in all we do.

If you have a question or a topic you would like to open up for discussion, pretty much do the same thing that you did here with your “Hello” post.  Put a thought-provoking title or question out there and you’ll see many of us come out of the woodwork like a bunch of eager elves, with our ink wells ready and our quills….
    [Sorry, got carry away there for a sec. 😜]

What was I discussing…quills?….porcupines?

Anyway just have some fun.

Psst…check out a topic called “Audio Cinema” since you have a dramatic flare.  Several of us have put audio links out with a dramatic reading of a single scene.  Would love to hear you read one of your scenes too.  Just put the mp3 file in a shareable location like a One Drive or Google Drive and make the link shareable.  Copy the link and paste it in a post along with the written text and word count. (try to keep it to a single scene excerpt of no more than 5K words.
    Here’s the link to that Forum Topic….shhhh!  Keep it safe…keep it secret…the Riders of Mordor are after it and you can figure out the rest.
    https://storyembers.org/groups/fantasy-writers/forum/topic/audio-cinema/

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Brian Stansell. Reason: spelling

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
    I was born in war.
    Fighting from my first breath.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@kingdomfire7

Greetings, Noah! I’m Rose!

I’ve written one novel (Fight for the Soul of Orelia– I like it but it needs some work lol), and my current WIP is, well, I haven’t started it because I got halfway through and I was like: “Uh-oh: this thing is so boring.” So I redid the plot and now I like it lol. Now all that remains is to write it….

Oh, goodness, I’ve definitely been there XD

What is your WIP about? What genres do you like best?

I’d love to become a filmmaker, maybe be a novelist for a few years before that. idk, whatever God wants.

That sounds awesome! What are your favorite movies? Do you have any genres you really like? Same with books for that matter!

I’ve been writing for two years, and in that time I’ve almost drafted a trilogy. (I’m like three chapters from finishing the third book.) After that, endless revisions await! (Good thing I actually enjoy revising XD)

I mainly write fantasy, but I have several other genres of ideas cluttering around and slowly getting structure.

Besides writing, I draw and paint, I have a fascination with history of all kinds, and I do HEMA!

Do you have any hobbies besides writing?

Nice to meet you!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@kingdomfire7

Hey Noah, I’ve just gotta say, that’s one fine name you’ve got there. You’re parents have excellent taste.

Anyways, I’m Noah, nice to meet ya. 🙃

and apparently have no nicknames. (two-syllable names are tricky to shorten. I mean if you tried with “Noah”, what would you get? No, Nah? Not very catchy)

I’ve ran into the same predicament for years. My friends and family have tried to think of a suitable shortened version of my name, and came up with repugnant things like ‘No-e.’

I love language,

Do you speak Irish? Or what languages do you know or are you learning? I am learning French, but it’ll be probably 8 years by the time I can truly speak it. My life is too busy to dedicate a ton of time to it.

love film

What specific aspect of the film industry are you into? How are you planning on applying your skils?

I am very interested in film as well, and have and will continue to research and learn about cameras, lighting, sound, and angles until I get it right. I am currently working a lot in Adobe After Effects and Illustrator to create animated history content for a youtube channel. You ever done any animation or online art type things?

love writing

How long have you been writing? I wrote my first fictional prose last July, so it’s nearly been a year for me. But as short as that is, I already have three series bouncing around in my head (one of which I am writing) that I have outlined to some extent, and a fourth that is slowly emerging out of the darkness like the monolithic beast it will probably be. What length in words are you going for with your first novel?

I’m pretty talkative, so feel free to chat with me! really about anything

Gregarious defines me in a word. 🙂 You live in town or in the country?

Do you sing or listen to any Irish folk music? I’ve listened to quite a bit. Irish know how to make good folk songs.

KingdomFire7
    @kingdomfire7

Greetings, Noah! I’m Rose!

Oh, goodness, I’ve definitely been there XD What is your WIP about? What genres do you like best?

Hi, Rose! XD yeah, it’s sort of an issue when the author is bored with their own novel. XD I have a pitiful little synopsis on my profile, but basically it’s about an Irish guy who joins a trip to Jupiter in 1919. The trip is actually intended to have him handed over to evil aliens, and Tadgh (the mc) has to escape and end up saving earth and stuff. The theme is about trusting in God. (Tadgh is like an extreme existentialist for most of the story so it takes a while 😂)

That sounds awesome! What are your favorite movies? Do you have any genres you really like? Same with books for that matter! I’ve been writing for two years, and in that time I’ve almost drafted a trilogy. (I’m like three chapters from finishing the third book.) After that, endless revisions await! (Good thing I actually enjoy revising XD) I mainly write fantasy, but I have several other genres of ideas cluttering around and slowly getting structure. Besides writing, I draw and paint, I have a fascination with history of all kinds, and I do HEMA! Do you have any hobbies besides writing? Nice to meet you!

Favorite movies? Definitely Narnia, The Lord of the Rings, and Case for Christ. The acting and screenwriting is sooo good in all of those movies!

I haven’t watched enough movies to get a feel for the different genres lol, so I think I’d say contemporary? Idk XD For books, fantasy and sci-fi are probably my favorite. I haven’t read a ton of them, but so many his-fic books are just too bogged down with details for me to get into them (that may or may not be because I’ve mostly just read older his-fic books. xPxD).

Ooh, fun! That’s impressive! What’s the trilogy about?

Awesome! I’m not very good with art, though I used to do it when I was younger. What’s HEMA? (forgive my ignorance XD)

Hobbies besides writing? Filmmaking for sure, and… ah! acting! Haven’t had a ton of practice, tho so I’m not the best. XD

Nice meeting you, too!

KingdomFire7
    @kingdomfire7

Hey, @obrian-of-the-surface-world! Reading your reply was so fun. XD You’re a master of comedy.

Yeah, this sounds like a really fun place! I can’t wait to get to know everybody!

Oooh, nice! I’ll have to check it out!

KingdomFire7
    @kingdomfire7

Hey Noah, I’ve just gotta say, that’s one fine name you’ve got there. You’re parents have excellent taste. Anyways, I’m Noah, nice to meet ya. 🙃

XD indeed they do! Nice to meet another Noah! when I was younger, there was another Noah at our co-op group thing, and whenever we’d pass each other on our way to class, we’d always go: “Hi, Noah!” “Hi, Noah!” it was so fun. 😂

I’ve ran into the same predicament for years. My friends and family have tried to think of a suitable shortened version of my name, and came up with repugnant things like ‘No-e.’

Ah, yes. Interestingly, Noe is just “Noah” in Greek. I’ve once told my parents the interesting tidbit that Noah is the Anglicized version of the Hebrew name NoachNoah in Hebrew is actually a girls’ name, tho bc of language transliteration, uh, i’m rambling. XD

Do you speak Irish? Or what languages do you know or are you learning? I am learning French, but it’ll be probably 8 years by the time I can truly speak it. My life is too busy to dedicate a ton of time to it.

Uhhh, just like a few phrases. I know Latin decently (as in, I know the grammar but have a pitiful vocabulary). I’d love to learn Hebrew, but idk when I’d have the time.

What specific aspect of the film industry are you into? How are you planning on applying your skils? I am very interested in film as well, and have and will continue to research and learn about cameras, lighting, sound, and angles until I get it right. I am currently working a lot in Adobe After Effects and Illustrator to create animated history content for a youtube channel. You ever done any animation or online art type things?

Directing and screenwriting, mostly. Also acting, but directing is the main one. Well, my brothers and I (and our co-op; and I’m hoping soon our church) make amateur films, which is good practice. I’d someday hope to join a Christian film group to learn more about how it’s done, and then eventually maybe start my own company (bet you can’t guess it’s name). I’d like to help do to the film industry what Story Embers is doing to the writing industry.

Oh, cool! What’s your channel about exactly? I don’t have enough patience for animation. 😂

How long have you been writing? I wrote my first fictional prose last July, so it’s nearly been a year for me. But as short as that is, I already have three series bouncing around in my head (one of which I am writing) that I have outlined to some extent, and a fourth that is slowly emerging out of the darkness like the monolithic beast it will probably be. What length in words are you going for with your first novel?

Uhhh, let’s see. I’m 17 so maybe for about 8 years? I first started writing around 9 or 10, when I tried to write a rip-off of Narnia that would soon become world famous. *snorts* I never finished it but I got close! XD I really thought of myself as an author when I turned twelve, but it wasn’t until I did OYAN that I ever made it past a second chapter. XD

Wow, that’s impressive! What’s the series about???

Um, my first novel was like *checks* about 75,000 words? For my second one, I have no idea. It’s looking like it’s gonna be 18 chapters, but idk what it’ll be in words. Hopefully enough. XD

Gregarious defines me in a word. 🙂 You live in town or in the country? Do you sing or listen to any Irish folk music? I’ve listened to quite a bit. Irish know how to make good folk songs.

*has to look up definition of “gregarious”* Ah, yep. I really don’t know whether or not i’m introverted or extroverted- it really depends on the occasion, I guess! 😂 But I’m pretty outgoing online.

We live in a little town with a population of under 2,000. So- country?

I- don’t, sadly. I also don’t sing, except in a high falsetto. if i don’t sing high I can’t hit notes lol. But yeah, of what I have listened to, yes, Irish music totally rocks.

God bless you, man!

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@kingdomfire7

indeed they do! Nice to meet another Noah! when I was younger, there was another Noah at our co-op group thing, and whenever we’d pass each other on our way to class, we’d always go: “Hi, Noah!” “Hi, Noah!” it was so fun.

Yep, I know several other ‘Noahs.’ I believe it’s second most common boy name in the US (after Liam)

Ah, yes. Interestingly, Noe is just “Noah” in Greek. I’ve once told my parents the interesting tidbit that Noah is the Anglicized version of the Hebrew name Noach. Noah in Hebrew is actually a girls’ name, tho bc of language transliteration, uh, i’m rambling

Wow, you know your stuff man. 🙂 What got you into the history and developments of language? I love history (medieval particularly) and that has fed a great interest in language developments as well, I just can’t find the time to explore it as much as I would like.

Uhhh, just like a few phrases. I know Latin decently (as in, I know the grammar but have a pitiful vocabulary).

I know a few phrases in Latin that I learned through studying history, but the most prominent one, is, of course, Deus Vult. Latin sounds so esoteric and epic at the same time–especially phrases relating to God like that one.

I’d like to help do to the film industry what Story Embers is doing to the writing industry.

That’s a most admirable and wonderful idea. So you plan on creating courses and platforms to teach and film together? Or would you like to produce your own films as well?

Oh, and my guess as to the name of your organization would be along the lines of kingdoms being set on fire. 🙃

Oh, cool! What’s your channel about exactly?

It’s called How History Could Have Happened (HHCHH). The first half of each video (of which I only have one produced at this point in time) teaches a historical event or set of events in a hopefully entertaining way, and the second half examines different ways that event could have happened. And by ‘examined,’ I mean go crazy with weird alternate histories. xD

The channel will mostly be covering medieval history at this point in time, but I would like to extend my reach to Renaissance, American, and Classical histories as well.

I don’t have enough patience for animation.

I feel ya. I’ve earned many a headache doing it.

Wow, that’s impressive! What’s the series about???

Medieval set historical fiction. It opens with a Norman serf whose home is destroyed by raiders seeking a cube wrought with black steel. This serf attains the cube, and seeks to find the master of these raiders and punish them. More to it than that, but that’ll do. 🙂

Um, my first novel was like *checks* about 75,000 words? For my second one, I have no idea. It’s looking like it’s gonna be 18 chapters, but idk what it’ll be in words. Hopefully enough.

Nice. See, my problem is that the genre I’m writing on and the plot and cast of characters I’ve developed demand long books. The first book in my series culminated at around 190k words, and book two, which I’m working on now and was supposed to be the same length, is growing longer and longer. xD I can’t wait to start my YA trilogy and write some shorter books.

Where did you learn fictional writing skills? Have you taken any official classes, or did you just learn things through the internet and books? I’m always curious where people find their info. I mostly used the internet, plus a few books on storycraft and characters.

*has to look up definition of “gregarious”* Ah, yep. I really don’t know whether or not i’m introverted or extroverted- it really depends on the occasion, I guess!

Yeah, I know what you mean. In my less…convivial mindsets my extrovertness wains.

Y’all own any animals?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@kingdomfire7

Yeah, it’s sort of an issue when the author is bored with their own novel. XD

I get bored with my own novels approximately once a day, but my characters are always there to drag me back to it XD They’re rather unreasonable. Often it’s great when you realize you need a plot overhaul in the middle, it’s very satisfying when it comes together after that!

I have a pitiful little synopsis on my profile, but basically, it’s about an Irish guy who joins a trip to Jupiter in 1919. The trip is actually intended to have him handed over to evil aliens, and Tadgh (the mc) has to escape and end up saving earth and stuff. The theme is about trusting in God. (Tadgh is like an extreme existentialist for most of the story so it takes a while 😂)

Ohhh, a kinda alternate history sci-fi? That sounds awesome! Tadgh sounds like an interesting character, could you tell me more about him?

Favorite movies? Definitely Narnia, The Lord of the Rings, and Case for Christ. The acting and screenwriting is sooo good in all of those movies!

I haven’t watched enough movies to get a feel for the different genres lol, so I think I’d say contemporary? Idk XD

Awesome! I’ve heard lots of good things about those! I have a habit of overanalyzing every movie I watch, which is fun to me and very irritating to everyone listening to me critique it mid-scene XD

For books, fantasy and sci-fi are probably my favorite. I haven’t read a ton of them, but so many his-fic books are just too bogged down with details for me to get into them (that may or may not be because I’ve mostly just read older his-fic books. xPxD).

Oh, same! I love fantasy and sci-fi, what are your favorites of those?

LOL, Historical fiction does have that issue pretty often, especially when it’s centered around a war XD I do have a handful of favorites that do it very nicely.

Ooh, fun! That’s impressive! What’s the trilogy about?

Ah yes, the hardest question to answer XD I shall give you three versions. Worst explanation possible, plot explanation, and character/theme explanation, since I can’t think of another way XD

The bad explanation is that the book opens with a bunch of people crashing a party and everyone is furious about it for three books afterward.

The plot explanation is that it’s about a country with seven tribes. One of those tribes attacks another as a retaliation for a war about ten years ago and captures the king.

My main character, Liorah, is the king’s younger sister, who is less than thrilled with the whole development and instantly sets out to fix the problem and get her brother back. Liorah is… Quite a character. She’s a loathsome pest of a character, I love her with my whole heart.

The main theme of the series could best be summarized as family trauma, it shows up in most of my main characters. It’s been interesting to write since there are so many different angles on it.

It has a lot more themes. Doing good in face of opposition, where is the line between revenge and justice, sins of the fathers, what’s the line between selflessness and self-martyrdom, to what degree are people responsible for what they did in bad circumstances, and so on. Every time I write I seem to find another theme XD

Awesome! I’m not very good with art, though I used to do it when I was younger. What’s HEMA? (forgive my ignorance XD)

HEMA stands for Historical European Martial Arts. Essentially, medieval/renaissance martial arts. I’ve mainly done longsword, though I’ve done a bit of unarmed combat, daggers, and dussack (One sided one-handed sword, like a saber) I got into it via writing, and it’s been awesome, I love it.

Hobbies besides writing? Filmmaking for sure, and… ah! acting! Haven’t had a ton of practice, tho so I’m not the best. XD

Oh, that’s awesome! That sounds like fun!

Uhhh, just like a few phrases. I know Latin decently (as in, I know the grammar but have a pitiful vocabulary). I’d love to learn Hebrew, but idk when I’d have the time.

I studied Latin too! Have you done much translating? Which writers have you read?

I only know a handful of Hebrew from Bible study, and I’m pretty sure I’m not going to be able to learn it soon, I simply do not have the determination XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

KingdomFire7
    @kingdomfire7

Yep, I know several other ‘Noahs.’ I believe it’s second most common boy name in the US (after Liam)

Oh, nice! I did not know that!

Wow, you know your stuff man. 🙂 What got you into the history and developments of language? I love history (medieval particularly) and that has fed a great interest in language developments as well, I just can’t find the time to explore it as much as I would like.

XD Nah, I’m just a total nerd, that’s all. Umm, I think just looking around in the dictionary and tracking the development of words and stuff.  Yeah, medieval is the best!

I know a few phrases in Latin that I learned through studying history, but the most prominent one, is, of course, Deus Vult. Latin sounds so esoteric and epic at the same time–especially phrases relating to God like that one.

Oh, cool! I don’t really know any Latin phrases, actually. But I can see that Deus vult means “God wills it”- probably used to mean “Lord willing”? Yeah, it does sound pretty cool!

That’s a most admirable and wonderful idea. So you plan on creating courses and platforms to teach and film together? Or would you like to produce your own films as well? Oh, and my guess as to the name of your organization would be along the lines of kingdoms being set on fire. 🙃

So actually both! I really want to make quality films that are unapologetic about God and that turn back the darkness, but I also want to train people to do that too, bc I don’t know if there are really any Christian film schools.

Yeah, it’s KingdomFire Cinema lol. I actually made a (tiny and not really active yet) Discord server for it, and me and my buddy and one of his friends are hoping to just talk about film ideas and stuff on it. Whether we can actually make anything yet or not is up for debate. lol

It’s called How History Could Have Happened (HHCHH). The first half of each video (of which I only have one produced at this point in time) teaches a historical event or set of events in a hopefully entertaining way, and the second half examines different ways that event could have happened. And by ‘examined,’ I mean go crazy with weird alternate histories. xD The channel will mostly be covering medieval history at this point in time, but I would like to extend my reach to Renaissance, American, and Classical histories as well.

Oh, fun! I checked it out a bit and the narration is awesome! XD Me and my brothers haven’t put any of our videos on YouTube yet, but hopefully soon! xD

Medieval set historical fiction. It opens with a Norman serf whose home is destroyed by raiders seeking a cube wrought with black steel. This serf attains the cube, and seeks to find the master of these raiders and punish them. More to it than that, but that’ll do. 🙂

Oh, cool! Black steel? never heard of it but it sounds interesting!

Nice. See, my problem is that the genre I’m writing on and the plot and cast of characters I’ve developed demand long books. The first book in my series culminated at around 190k words, and book two, which I’m working on now and was supposed to be the same length, is growing longer and longer. xD I can’t wait to start my YA trilogy and write some shorter books. Where did you learn fictional writing skills? Have you taken any official classes, or did you just learn things through the internet and books? I’m always curious where people find their info. I mostly used the internet, plus a few books on storycraft and characters.

Whoah, yeah- that is long! xD Idk if I could write something that long, so that’s really impressive!

Um, I first gained some skills/style from reading C.S. Lewis and copying his narrative voice (and later Tolkien). But the biggest place I learned story craft was from the One Year Adventure Novel curriculum- super fun and super helpful! Then after that mostly reading things from Young Writers Workshop and Story Embers. So yeah, a bit of both.

Yeah, I know what you mean. In my less…convivial mindsets my extrovertness wains. Y’all own any animals?

lol makes sense. Yeah, actually! We own a dog, two ducks, and like 25 chickens. And two parakeets. XD

KingdomFire7
    @kingdomfire7

I get bored with my own novels approximately once a day, but my characters are always there to drag me back to it XD They’re rather unreasonable. Often it’s great when you realize you need a plot overhaul in the middle, it’s very satisfying when it comes together after that!

XD yeah, that makes sense. I love characters. Plot is the tricky part but you’re right- it is so satisfying when you fix plot issues. (like my current novel….. very very glad SE taught me about the midpoint because I had no idea how to make an interesting middle XD)

Ohhh, a kinda alternate history sci-fi? That sounds awesome! Tadgh sounds like an interesting character, could you tell me more about him?

Kind of. It’s set in the past (his-fic), with supertechnology that’s not real but somewhat possible (sci-fi), and it involves a trip to Jupiter (sci-fi), but there’s also a ground-world Jupiter and aliens (fantasy). Thus it’s super hard to clasify. XD

Sure! Tadgh is an Irish guy who is SUPREMELY self-confident. He loves adventure and is determined to make his own way through life. He believes in God and everything, but he doesn’t really make Him a part of his day-to-day life. At the start of the story he’s a member of the Irish Republican Army (a guerilla freedom-fighters/terrorist group), but gets kicked out when his hand is mutilated by an explosion. He’s a headache up until the climax- hopefully the readers won’t hate him. 😂

Awesome! I’ve heard lots of good things about those! I have a habit of overanalyzing every movie I watch, which is fun to me and very irritating to everyone listening to me critique it mid-scene XD

XD yeah, I do that too. Like: “Ah, you see where the greenscreen meets the set right there?” or: “Oooh, weak acting on that part.” etc. XD

Oh, same! I love fantasy and sci-fi, what are your favorites of those? LOL, Historical fiction does have that issue pretty often, especially when it’s centered around a war XD I do have a handful of favorites that do it very nicely.

Narnia, LotR, Wingfeather Saga, aaaand I haven’t really read any others except the Pathfinders series (think that’s the name xP) by Paul McCusker. Yes, same! I once read some really old one (title had something to do with hawks I think) that was suuuper engaging! When it’s more obscure events and centered around strong plots and characters seem to be the ones that I like best.

Ah yes, the hardest question to answer XD I shall give you three versions. Worst explanation possible, plot explanation, and character/theme explanation, since I can’t think of another way XD The bad explanation is that the book opens with a bunch of people crashing a party and everyone is furious about it for three books afterward. The plot explanation is that it’s about a country with seven tribes. One of those tribes attacks another as a retaliation for a war about ten years ago and captures the king. My main character, Liorah, is the king’s younger sister, who is less than thrilled with the whole development and instantly sets out to fix the problem and get her brother back. Liorah is… Quite a character. She’s a loathsome pest of a character, I love her with my whole heart. The main theme of the series could best be summarized as family trauma, it shows up in most of my main characters. It’s been interesting to write since there are so many different angles on it. It has a lot more themes. Doing good in face of opposition, where is the line between revenge and justice, sins of the fathers, what’s the line between selflessness and self-martyrdom, to what degree are people responsible for what they did in bad circumstances, and so on. Every time I write I seem to find another theme XD

Oh, cool! Every mc I’ve ever written comes from a happy home, it seems. XD Love those themes! Really thought-provoking!

HEMA stands for Historical European Martial Arts. Essentially, medieval/renaissance martial arts. I’ve mainly done longsword, though I’ve done a bit of unarmed combat, daggers, and dussack (One sided one-handed sword, like a saber) I got into it via writing, and it’s been awesome, I love it.

O.O Wowww, that sounds sooo cool! I’d probably stink at it bc I have no grace but it sounds sooo fun!

I studied Latin too! Have you done much translating? Which writers have you read? I only know a handful of Hebrew from Bible study, and I’m pretty sure I’m not going to be able to learn it soon, I simply do not have the determination XD

Not really- mostly I’ve tried to write original things in Latin. XD I paraphrased some of Euclid once but that was a disaster. XD I’ve only read some of the Vulgate. Yeah, same here. I’ve figured out a bit of grammar (I think) and I’d love to learn more. When I’ll get around to it idk. XD

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@kingdomfire7

But I can see that Deus vult means “God wills it”- probably used to mean Lord Willing

Yes to the first, but we use the phrase ‘lord willing’ to me ‘we hope and pray.’ Deus Vult/God Wills It was used by people to say ‘this is God’s will for us, and we must do it.’ For instance, in 1095, Pope Urban preached the first ever crusading speech, and there were thundering cries of Deus Vult, meaning God willed for the people to go on the crusade–however delusional that sentiment may have been.

Whether we can actually make anything yet or not is up for debate

You’ll get there, my man, we need more people with such desires. Ever heard of the Daily Wire? It’s a business that, though I do not agree with all their teachings and behavior, is trying to make films and children’s series free of the junk Hollywood promulgates.

Oh, fun! I checked it out a bit and the narration is awesome! XD Me and my brothers haven’t put any of our videos on YouTube yet, but hopefully soon!

I appreciate! Let me know when you put your videos on youtube, I’ll be sure to subscribe. 🙂

Oh, cool! Black steel? never heard of it but it sounds interesting!

xD It’s just steel, I meant it was lacqured or flame-kissed to make it black.

But the biggest place I learned story craft was from the One Year Adventure Novel curriculum- super fun and super helpful!

I’ll have to check that out sometime.

Parakeets? Wow. Are they inside?

KingdomFire7
    @kingdomfire7

Yes to the first, but we use the phrase ‘lord willing’ to me ‘we hope and pray.’ Deus Vult/God Wills It was used by people to say ‘this is God’s will for us, and we must do it.’ For instance, in 1095, Pope Urban preached the first ever crusading speech, and there were thundering cries of Deus Vult, meaning God willed for the people to go on the crusade–however delusional that sentiment may have been.

Oh, okay! that makes sense! So it is used literally. Cool!

You’ll get there, my man, we need more people with such desires. Ever heard of the Daily Wire? It’s a business that, though I do not agree with all their teachings and behavior, is trying to make films and children’s series free of the junk Hollywood promulgates.

Yes, one day! God’s got this, and it looks like we’re due for another Jesus Movement, amen! 🙂 Yeah, I think my aunt talked to me about it. I’m leaning more for young adult movies, but also I’d like to make/help make quality children’s films.

I appreciate! Let me know when you put your videos on youtube, I’ll be sure to subscribe. 🙂

I will! XD thanks. idek how to subscribe to channels. There’s some kind of button you push somewhere, right?

xD It’s just steel, I meant it was lacquered or flame-kissed to make it black.

Oh! xD Well, I bet there’s probably something special about it if it’s so important to the story…

I’ll have to check that out sometime. Parakeets? Wow. Are they inside?

You should! it’s a bit expensive ($300+ maybe? xP), but worth every penny. It teaches you how to write a novel and then makes you write the whole thing. There’s also a forum that comes with it (very great), and a fee-free contest that you can enter there.

Yep! there inside- very noisy. XD

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@kingdomfire7

I’m leaning more for young adult movies, but also I’d like to make/help make quality children’s films.

So do you have some of that real nice filming equipment like overhead sound systems and big cameras that move?

I will! XD thanks. idek how to subscribe to channels. There’s some kind of button you push somewhere, right?

Right below the youtube video on the right side there is a rectangular, red button that says ‘subscribe.’ Hit that and it should work. 🙂

Have you ever done any writing contests?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@kingdomfire7

XD yeah, that makes sense. I love characters. Plot is the tricky part but you’re right- it is so satisfying when you fix plot issues. (like my current novel….. very very glad SE taught me about the midpoint because I had no idea how to make an interesting middle XD)

Characters are amazing because they grow beyond you and suddenly you’re completely out of control and you can just document the mess they make XD

Plot is always hard, just the general coming up with ideas part especially. But when you get that one glorious idea and it all pulls together, it’s the best feeling in the world XD

What kind of plot structure do you use? Do you plot or pants usually?

Huh, that’s fascinating! It vaguely reminds me of two books I’ve been planning to read, which are set on an alternate Venus, which is covered with tropical jungle. Unfortunately, they haven’t been translated yet, so I don’t have the English names, but the Dutch names are “Torenhoog en mijlen breed” and “Ogen van tijgers” (“Tower-high and Miles Wide” and “Eyes of Tigers”) both by Tonke Dragt.

Sure! Tadgh is an Irish guy who is SUPREMELY self-confident. He loves adventure and is determined to make his own way through life. He believes in God and everything, but he doesn’t really make Him a part of his day-to-day life. At the start of the story he’s a member of the Irish Republican Army (a guerilla freedom-fighters/terrorist group), but gets kicked out when his hand is mutilated by an explosion. He’s a headache up until the climax- hopefully the readers won’t hate him. 😂

Ha, I might be biased but characters who are a headache are my absolute favorite kind XD He sounds like a lot of fun to write! It’s interesting about his hand as well! I have a character whose right hand got paralyzed through an injury in the second book. He’s one of my absolute favorite characters.

XD yeah, I do that too. Like: “Ah, you see where the greenscreen meets the set right there?” or: “Oooh, weak acting on that part.” etc. XD

“Greenscreen” is one of my most frequent comments XD The worst instance I ever saw was where the green reflected onto one of the actress’s hair, it looked very-low quality XD Weak acting bothers me to no end XD

Narnia, LotR, Wingfeather Saga, aaaand I haven’t really read any others except the Pathfinders series (think that’s the name xP) by Paul McCusker. Yes, same! I once read some really old one (title had something to do with hawks I think) that was suuuper engaging! When it’s more obscure events and centered around strong plots and characters seem to be the ones that I like best.

Ohh, awesome! I love when you unexpectedly discover a really good book, that feeling is about equal to solving a plot hole XD

Oh, cool! Every mc I’ve ever written comes from a happy home, it seems. XD Love those themes! Really thought-provoking!

Thank you! I didn’t start picking up themes until I was about halfway through the second book, but then they were everywhere XD

I have exactly one main character (One of the narrators in book 2) who is from a happy and functional family. She spends half her time being extremely worried about everyone else XD

There are a couple of side characters too, but apparently, I decided that if my characters were going to have families they’re going to have to pull their weight in creating conflict XD

O.O Wowww, that sounds sooo cool! I’d probably stink at it bc I have no grace but it sounds sooo fun!

It’s incredible I love it so much XD I stink at it too but I love every second of being terrible XD

Not really- mostly I’ve tried to write original things in Latin. XD I paraphrased some of Euclid once but that was a disaster. XD I’ve only read some of the Vulgate. Yeah, same here. I’ve figured out a bit of grammar (I think) and I’d love to learn more. When I’ll get around to it idk. XD

I haven’t ever tried to write anything in Latin, I’m afraid I’d be rather awful at it XD I did a lot of translating during my studies, which becomes a lot more bearable when you can make fun of all the writers. I think my favorite was Ovidius. I did a lot of the Metamorphoses, which were pretty interesting and not too complicated. I also had to do some of the Aeneas, which was… terrible to be frank XD Martialis was fun too!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest