fb

Hey All!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

How’s it going?

I’m Taylor, a fantasy writer from New England. I graduated from a mix of The Potter’s School and ordinary homeschool in 2013, and until this past year took an unfortunate break from writing as I entered the work force.

I wrote and self-published a novella in the autumn of last year, and have spent nearly all my free time since reading books on the craft, taking writing classes, and learning about self-publishing. I’ve grown as a writer tremendously in the past few months, and I hope that pace continues. My current hurdle is learning structure, so if you have any recommendations on structuring—the less orthodox, the better—I’d love to hear them.

Currently I’m familiar with the three and five act classical structures, the Hero’s Journey, the Snowflake Method, Jane Cleland’s road map, Robert Butler’s lateral thinking notecard method, and Deborah Chester’s fantasy fiction plotting advice. None of it really works for me—my brain isn’t really wired right; I have problems with abstract, spatial, and temporal reasoning =P

Some of my biggest influences are Orson Scott Card, Glen Cook, Neil Gaiman, Ursula K. Le Guin, Brian Jacques, C.S. Lewis, Brandon Sanderson, and Roger Zelazny.

I won’t have a ton to contribute on here—I’ve been in a dark place in my life for a long time, and my writing doesn’t show the mildness and hopefulness the forum guidelines require. But I’ll do my best, and I’m sure I’ll enjoy getting to know you all :-}

I’m a member of a small Baptist church, where I’m on the audio-video team, and I also teach teens’ Sunday School on the teaching team. We just started a module on Joshua from Regular Baptist press, and it looks like it’ll be a good read.

Thanks for the welcome :-}

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Filewriter
    @filewriter

Hi, @taylorclogston. Welcome to Story Embers!!! I hope you like it here. There are a lot of great and helpful writers on this forum. I write some fantasy and Sci-fi. Um, that’s all.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

Hey @taylorclogston! Long time no see. 🙂 Good to hear you’re still writing–what’s the premise of the novel you published last year?

I really like K.M. Weiland’s “Structuring Your Novel” for novel structure (it’s an expanded version of the Three Act Structure). If you’re looking for nonorthodox tactics, you may like Robert McKee’s “Story,” but it is also decently complex (the theory isn’t, but his elaboration of it is) so I’m not sure if it’s what you’re looking for or not.

One of my favorite Youtubers also did a 2-part series on story structure & critiquing the 3-act method recently that I found really interesting. You may find them helpful:

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@filewriter – Thanks for the welcome! What sort of scifi do you write? It’s a genre I’ve been slowly learning about, but science fantasy’s about the closest I’ve ever come to it.

@josiah – Yeah, same to you =P Here’s my novella’s blurb:

Ten years ago Dan was rescued from burning London by a black-cloaked man who drew him into a world where magic is a part of daily life.

Now sixteen, Dan travels to Ormuil and enrolls in the University to become a Librarian, a magician who gains power by Archiving the people and places he holds dear.

Dan finds unlikely friends in the Treasure Hunting Club, students who retrieving treasure from interdimensional dungeons. They all seek something at the University, but to remain they must delve the most deadly dungeons—The greatest treasure lies inside.

It’s not a good story. It’s not even really a story. I’m trying to figure out how to retrofit plot into it, and to fit it into the second installment I’m in the middle of.

Thanks for the recommendations! LFTS is one of my favorite channels also. Do you watch Storytellers’ channel? They’re some of my favorites right now.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Filewriter
    @filewriter

@taylorclogston, sort of sci-fi? Oh boy. I am not good with all the specific types. I guess, Futuristic Sci-fi. Is that a thing? Well, I know it’s sci-fi and it takes place in the future, so… Yeah.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Filewriter.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

@taylorclogston Cool. Hope your retrofitting work goes well on that front. 🙂

I haven’t heard of that channel before, but am putting it on my list of channels to check out!

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Caleb E. King
    @caleb-e-king

Hello, @taylorclogston ! Good to see you here! I’m also new to this forum and a fantasy writer as well! That’s awesome about your novella. What’s it called? 🙂

Young Writer. Crazy Reader. Happy Cartoonist. Author of www.calebeking.com
    Proud Meerkat!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.