fb

Help!

Forums Fiction Characters Help!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    ShadowWriter161
    @shadowwriter161

So…. How much should the author know about their main characters and side characters? How much should you know in order for the characters to feel well rounded to the reader? Is there like a list people use for this? If you’ve made one, please put a link to it somewhere, that would be fantastic! And if you have any tips, I am open to almost everything. Cheers! *thumbs up*

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@shadowwriter161 Story Embers has an awesome character questionnaire for this! Just click on the resources button and you can reach it from there. It takes thought to complete, but it helps you notice what holes you need to fill in your characters. I’ve done it for some of my main characters in the past.

Another thing I’ve found helpful is completing an MBTI test through a character’s mindset. Seriously, just the doing it helps way more than even the results do. Instead of sticking your character into a box, answering the questions helps you get to know your characters better. It helped me make strides with my current MC.

Good luck with your characters! 🙂

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

ShadowWriter161
    @shadowwriter161

@naiya-dyani

Oh yeah, I forgot about that questionnaire! I checked it out once, but it honestly kinda overwhelmed me a bit. But I definitely check it out again with a fresh perspective. Thank you.

So….What exactly is an MBTI test, and where does one find it? Haha, I’m still getting used to the abbreviations people use now days. There’s still a lot of ‘writer lingo’ I don’t understand.

Thank you, and thank you for the tips. I will be sure to check them out soon. *thumbs up*

Corine
    @corine

The MBTI (Myers Briggs Type Indicator) is a personality test. If you fill it out, it will render one of the possible sixteen personality types for your character. It can be really interesting to read how your character’s personality type would typically react in different scenarios (relationships, work, worldview etc.). Of course, there’s a massive range even within one personality type, but as @naiya-dyani says, even the process of filling out the questions as your character can be hugely beneficial.

Personally I’ve found https://www.16personalities.com/ to be the most useful online test 🙂 Enjoy!

ShadowWriter161
    @shadowwriter161

@corine

Wow, ok, thank you. I didn’t even know such a thing existed. I will check it out now.

Thanks again. 😀

Corine
    @corine

@shadowwriter161

No problem! It’s very interesting and (at least in my case) startlingly accurate! Even aside from writing thorough characters I’ve found it very helpful to identify certain traits I should work on, or expect (or not) in others 🙂

ShadowWriter161
    @shadowwriter161

@corine

I just took the test for my two protagonists, and it was surprisingly difficult and accurate. I’d never tried to get inside the mind of my characters that deeply before and it was eye opening, to say the least. I still need to do it twice more, which should be interesting. I’ll let you know how it goes. 🙂

I am curious, (and feel free to ignore this question if you don’t want to answer), what is your story about?

Corine
    @corine

@shadowwriter161 Ooh I’m glad it came up accurate! It can be a very good way of delving a little deeper into character mindsets. It does take quite a long time though, haha and I am very easily bored so I’ve only done it for my main characters before.

Also, I wanted to mention something in response to your original question about a checklist of character qualities; I genuinely think every writer is different so there’s no ‘right’ way. Personally I’ve done the whole ‘what’s your character’s favourite ice cream flavour?’ kind of thing and not found it useful. I much prefer to sit with my characters in my head and reflect on them during the day, whenever I find myself daydreaming. I call it productive daydreaming haha. Again, to each their own, but don’t be intimidated into thinking there’s a step-by-step guide that you have to follow to craft a great character. 💜💛

With that out of the way, my story is about a one-armed princess who is on a quest to save her friend. Not a particularly original concept but I like it 😊 What’s your story about?

ShadowWriter161
    @shadowwriter161

@corine

Knowing your characters is a good thing, but not always the easiest of missions to accomplish.

I know there’s no “perfect” list of ‘how to’s’ in writing. But there are times I wish there were. I tend to distrust my own instincts and…talent? (Does that sound stupid and vain?) I want other people’s opinions, yet I’m to sacred to ask for them. Has that ever happened to you? (Again, you don’t have to answer.)

Ooo, that sounds awesome! I’ve actually never heard of a story with that plot before. How long have you been working on it?

My story? Umm *blushes* I’ll describe it for you, but I’m afraid it might sound like something a child would say. My story is about Texan native, Alexandrea Monarch. Her first time to New York and spending  ten months at a boarding-school for the privileged sound like life changing opportunities. But, when a series of “accidents” starts to appear as more then accidents, and her courage and beliefs are tested in more ways then one, Alexandrea and her new-found friends will have to find the strength of something bigger then themselves  to overcome the next “changes” life will bring.

Mrs. Skywalker
    @padawanpadme

@shadowwriter161 Hope you don’t mind me responding, I know you already have several replies. But I love talking characters!

I am totally obsessed with knowing my characters inside and out, to the point of maybe way a little too much XD

Like @naiya-dyani said, I really recommend the MBTI for your characters. (And take it for your side characters too!)

It’s great to know a lot of the surface value things about your characters (and important), but the best way for you (and your readers) to know your characters  is to figure out if they are introverted or extroverted, and then find out what they want. (i.e., happiness, peace, joy, revenge, money, family). Even if it’s really vague. Both of those points will change and effect how your character acts and what course the story takes, so if you can find that out, it really will (at least in my experience) unlock the next level of your characters.

Also, your WIP sounds great!

"I never made a deal with Kanjiklub."

Corine
    @corine

@shadowwriter161

Oh I’ve definitely experienced being afraid to show people my writing! Very few people even know I write to be honest, I just don’t like people knowing about it and then asking questions that I don’t want to answer haha. I feel like writing is such a personal activity for me and it’s something I’ve always been in the habit of protecting. But it is definitely not vain (nor stupid) to accept your talent. God’s given us talents and we’re one hundred percent meant to use them 🙂

This story, I came up with the plot ideas over two years ago but I didn’t start planning it until the start of this summer. I’m drafting it now for NaNoWriMo so hopefully I’ll have a rough first draft done by the end of November! I’ve never finished a NaNo before so I’m not overly confident that it will be finished but something is better than nothing right?

Your story sounds great! I’m so intrigued already! I love boarding school stories, there’s so much scope for interesting character dynamics 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Corine.
    ShadowWriter161
    @shadowwriter161

@padawanpadme

I certainly don’t mind you responding. One can never have to much good advise. 😀

I have found that my main female character is an introvert and the male lead is an extrovert. Should make for an interesting dynamic, haha. I’ve yet to take the test for the side characters, but I will soon. (Wish me luck 😉 )

@corine

I am the same way with my writing. Only a few people know I write at all. But I’m glad I was able to find this site, it’s nice to know I’m not alone. 🙂

Your book sounds really cool, you’ll have to let me know when it’s published. I will read it 😀

I’ve heard of NoNaWriMo, never done it though. There are times when I find putting a time limit on myself seems to inhibit my writing. I don’t know if that just a me thing, but I sometimes find it hard to work under pressure. I have full confidence that you will ace NoNaWriMo. Just put your pen to paper and don’t look up until you’re finished 😉 *thumbs up*

I’ve been working on my WIP for maybe three – four years. Over the years I’ve started other projects, but the Alexandrea Monarch Story is the one that’s the farthest along. I’ve actually started looking for people to beta-read it, so if you know anyone who’s interested, that would be great.

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@shadowwriter161 If I’m available whenever you’re ready for beta-readers, I could try my hand at it 🙂 . I’ve never officially beta-read before, but I enjoy reading other people’s work. You’d just have to tell me what level of “help” you want me to give (Because I pick at published books lol. Now if I could just give my own work that kind of combing. . . 😛 )

(Editing your own work is always so much harder than helping with other people’s! I’ll have to come here to beg when I finally get a story ready. . .)

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

ShadowWriter161
    @shadowwriter161

@naiya-dyani

Really? That would be great, thanks! I’m not looking for someone super experienced, just someone to tell me if the stories even half decent, haha. I’ve never had someone beta-read (or normal read) any of my works before. I am open to constructive criticism, just deliver it gently, haha. I’m planning to set up an gmail for my writing, so I’d need to contact you through that. But if that doesn’t work for you, then I’ll think of something else. Thanks again. 👍

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest