Help! Representing God in Fantasy Fiction?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Help! Representing God in Fantasy Fiction?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@ericawordsmith

Hey there! Nice to see you!

And as a fellow smither of words I must agree with just about everything you said.

Haha! Actually I changed my profile because I’m in the process of trying to decide how long to keep my secret identity, and I’m wavering toward not keeping it. Thus I put up this picture.

-Wordsmith- Author of short stories, Reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@wordsmith Yeah, I’m pretty sure we’re on the same page. Like, I have a pretty straight-forward gospel allegory I’m going to write which is probably even more blatantly allegorical than, say, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.ย At the same time, there are one or two major details that vary from the real-world gospel account. I don’t see that as a problem, though I had to be very careful. Because of the changes, I thought of at least one negative philosophical ramification might occur to the reader. To fix it, I added another element to the allegory which cleared up that issue.

So, in summary, I think the more allegorical you are, the more you need to watch the potential philosophicalย ramifications when the gospel works out differently in your world. The more you change, the more insight, grace, and brilliance is needed to do it right. If you’re uncertain, staying truer to the original will be the safest option.

We do want to change details though. That’s the whole idea of allegory. If it were exactly the same, it wouldn’t be allegory at all.

๐Ÿ˜€
    ๐Ÿ‘•๐Ÿ‘
    ๐Ÿ‘– ๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@daeus-lamb

*takes screen shot of signature, and uses it because it seems the best way to agree with Daeus Lamb*

-Wordsmith- Author of short stories, Reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@wordsmith HAHA! ๐Ÿ˜€

๐Ÿ˜€
    ๐Ÿ‘•๐Ÿ‘
    ๐Ÿ‘– ๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@wordsmith

Well, actually I will be going back into hiding this weekend, but will probably return next week. Been so thrilled about the manifesto that I had to come out…

Please tell me that this doesn’t mean you’re contemplating using a normal name like George does it? (No offense to anyone named George)

Because I would be very sad if I were a lone wordsmith running around. Although… I must admit, I’m playing with my pen name as well. Like, the one that went on the Manifesto and will be on my book.

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

Buddy J.
      @wordsmith

@ericawordsmith

It would mean I was using my real name… But I could still stay @wordsmith and still use my real name.

EricaWordsmith
      @ericawordsmith

@wordsmith

True. I’ve decided to keep my name secret and use only my pen name. Actually… the Erica in EricaWordsmith is the name of the character that is based off of myself in my book. Mistake of a 15 year old me calling myself Erica in blog comments… So, no real name for me.

Buddy J.
        @wordsmith

@ericawordsmith

And I wouldn’t ask…

Buddy J.
        @wordsmith

@ericawordsmith

Unless we were meeting in person… or face to face.

EricaWordsmith
        @ericawordsmith

@wordsmith

Nope, because if you did I would smile and say Eowyn.

Buddy J.
          @wordsmith

@ericawordsmith

At which point I would say… wait… that might sound wrong…

I would say… Fingolfin.

EricaWordsmith
          @ericawordsmith

@wordsmith

In which I awkwardly ask… “Are you… Wordsmith?” And then embarrass myself because it was somebody else.

EricaWordsmith
            @ericawordsmith

@wordsmith

I actually live in Rivendell, or at least that’s what my profile says.

Buddy J.
              @wordsmith

@ericawordsmith

Hahahaha! And if it was me you were asking that to, I might just give you a blank stare for a minute, and then burst out laughing.

EricaWordsmith
              @ericawordsmith

@wordsmith

Yup, same here. The weird wordsmiths. And in that case I’ll probably say that my name is something elvish, there’s a joke that I’m related to Legolas.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest